Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 254 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 253 254
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Anyone who has never experienced any kind of scope failure, regardless of brand, hasn’t made enough spent primers to fill a teaspoon

Tell us more.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KenMi
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Would everyone here agree that this testing procedure is sensible and meaningful? Seems to cover all the bases.

-static tracking test.
-live fire to test tracking and zero retention.
-zero retention test with common use impacts.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ic-uhd-hunting-scope-review#Post17363385

What is a "common use impact"? In a hunting situation, a 3 foot drop is not a common use impact. More likely would be bumping the barrel against a blind or tree, or jarring/vibration from travel on an ATV or vehicle. Or even recoil alone if it is a heavier recoiling rifle.

A 3 foot drop in a hunting situation would demand at least a quick sight in check shot, before taking a shot at an animal. No matter what tests had previously been done to the scope and/or rifle.

Myriad ways and settings in which to hunt big game. A 3' drop isn't uncommon when carrying a rifle in hand while walking the better part of a day over rough terrain. When snow tracking through blow down infested timber and swamps and/or limb strewn cut overs, I would say that it's not uncommon for most to experience several trips and slips in a day, some of which will eventually result in a rifle drop or impact.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a HOOT,as you "live" vicariously. The bench is 1" steel plate,were it MPAJ,I'd of simply cited same. Hint.

Keep filing Hurt Feeler Reports,waxing eloquent upon your very WELL founded Brokedick Insecurities and Fantasizing wares wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Fortunately for you gals,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even Crying CLUELESS Kchunts can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

To be continued. Hint.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Failure to have a consistent cant. A missed 3mph. "Shouldering" the rifle. Poor NPA. Poor reticle focus, astigmatism. Lack of follow through.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Anyone who has never experienced any kind of scope failure, regardless of brand, hasn’t made enough spent primers to fill a teaspoon

My brother is fifty years of age and has been hunting since he was sixteen, I know he hasn't had any scopes fail as I supply his gear. He shot camels for coin and didn't have any failures then either.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Would everyone here agree that this testing procedure is sensible and meaningful? Seems to cover all the bases.

-static tracking test.
-live fire to test tracking and zero retention.
-zero retention test with common use impacts.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ic-uhd-hunting-scope-review#Post17363385

What is a "common use impact"? In a hunting situation, a 3 foot drop is not a common use impact. More likely would be bumping the barrel against a blind or tree, or jarring/vibration from travel on an ATV or vehicle. Or even recoil alone if it is a heavier recoiling rifle.

A 3 foot drop in a hunting situation would demand at least a quick sight in check shot, before taking a shot at an animal. No matter what tests had previously been done to the scope and/or rifle.

3' drops probably happen with some regularity to guided/outfitted hunters using horses/stock and scabbards they don't normally use. Probably happens to the regular users of same from time to time as well. Horse/Mule gives a wiggle while the rifle is going in/out of the scabbard and the rifle is out of your hands.

People hunting afoot in any sort of slick conditions. Snow/ice, mud, that nasty-slick bentonite/gumbo, pushing/walking/deer-drives through CRP or Cattails is still common in the prairie states and any of that stuff can wrap around your feet and trip you. Then of course if you add "steep" to "slippery" anywhere you're hunting afoot, drops can, do, and will happen.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Scopes it's let me down at the worst time I've been the same sort of two different Nikon monarch UCC.. the last ones I ever owned there may be a reason they're out of the rifle scope business. they made it right they sent me new ones but I never mounted the new ones.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I was crossing a creek in the dark while elk hunting and broke though the ice into knee deep water,, landing on the rifle with the scope hitting first. Hunted the rest of the day, didn't see any elk, and it was a good thing.
When slipping my rifle into a case at the truck I noticed the objective end was bent down toward the barrel. Pulled the bolt out to do a quick crude boresight and that Leupold was right on the money, verified with a couple test shots.

Just kidding, it wasn't even hitting "minute of hillside."

Sent it in to Leupold to see if they could fix it. They told me to buy a new one.

You can send them a box of smashed parts and they will replace the scope, no questions asked. Same not true for many other "warranties"

They sure did not for me. Maybe it's different now, This was in the later '90s.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What kind of hunter wouldn't check zero anyway after one of these "common use" mishaps? If you don't you're an idiot.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JGRaider
What kind of hunter wouldn't check zero anyway after one of these "common use" mishaps? If you don't you're an idiot.

Thank you. Exactly my point.

Even if a drop test under controlled conditions didn't result in any POI shift, the next drop or fall could move it 2 feet

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I check zero on my whichever rifles I’m hunting with before season.
Had a few eye openers.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've had my fair share of disappointments,by simply taking a NIB Reupold out of it's wrapper and shooting it atop Splendid Wares,hunting for a zero,tracking and repeats to no avail. Hint.

To be continued. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
One of the little touted uses of a Collimator such as the Bushnel bore sighter is to note where your cross hairs are on the grid when sighted in. If you have a misfortune while hunting and have the device with you, you can check and see if the scope has moved. Not much extra weight in your pack/side by side.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had my fair share of disappointments,by simply taking a NIB Reupold out of it's wrapper and shooting it atop Splendid Wares,hunting for a zero,tracking and repeats to no avail. Hint.

To be continued. Hint.................
I'm sure you've had MORE than your share of disappointment.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I've had my fair share of disappointments
I'm sure you've had MORE than your share of disappointment.

I was wondering who was going to swing at the easy pitch over the plate. I half expected an "every morning when you look in the mirror" response......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It is fascinatingly HILARIOUS,how very often Whining CLUELESS Kchunts think about me,as they "live" vicariously in Brokedicktitude. Hint.

Reupold's puke easily and often. Hint.

Though they are handy for (1) thing. Hint.

Flagship puke. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Play your cards right though and you'll get your Reupold Spotter returned with a rebuilt erector assembly. Hint.

To be continued. Hint....................

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Even if a drop test under controlled conditions didn't result in any POI shift, the next drop or fall could move it 2 feet

I don’t think it’s realistic to recheck zero every time the rifle takes a common knock or after it rides in an ATV, truck or horse in some rough conditions. When I’m backpacking hunting in the mountains for sheep or goats, my rifle gets knocked and bumped on rocks often. It’s almost impossible to avoid and it’s impractical to recheck zero after every incident. At least with some testing beforehand, one can get some confidence that the scope and mounts can handle being used in tough conditions. The tests done in the link I provided are not extreme at all and if a scope and mounts don’t hold up to them, then it probably shouldn’t be trusted on a tough hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don’t think it’s realistic to recheck zero every time the rifle takes a common knock or after it rides in an ATV, truck or horse in some rough conditions. When I’m backpacking hunting in the mountains for sheep or goats, my rifle gets knocked and bumped on rocks often. It’s almost impossible to avoid and it’s impractical to recheck zero after every incident. At least with some testing beforehand, one can get some confidence that the scope and mounts can handle being used in tough conditions. The tests done in the link I provided are not extreme at all and if a scope and mounts don’t hold up to them, then it probably shouldn’t be trusted on a tough hunt.

^^^^^ This.

There have been hunts I'd run out of ammo if I checked my scope after every fall. Steep slopes, snow, rocks/logs make for more than a few falls. Add before/after daylight and a fall or two is almost guaranteed. Id much rather own a rifle and scope capable of a few bumps and bruiss.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is fascinatingly HILARIOUS,how very often Whining CLUELESS Kchunts think about me,as they "live" vicariously in Brokedicktitude. Hint.

Reupold's puke easily and often. Hint.

Though they are handy for (1) thing. Hint.

Flagship puke. Hint.

Play your cards right though and you'll get your Reupold Spotter returned with a rebuilt erector assembly. Hint.

To be continued. Hint....................

The stuggle boat floats with the current.

My 16x,made it beyond 20K,before the A/O puked.

Beings it failed,it ain't in the above tally and it is in fact,the only Leupie I've crashed.

Broke a 6x42 on installation,but I knowed better(DD's on skewed bridge height,less eccentrics)..................

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I went to NFLD this last fall, walked something like 72 miles in 6 rainy foggy days, shot my caribou on the last morning. In that 6 days I walked 72 some miles. I had my feet go out from under me many times and probably landed on my butt or back with a slung rifle pretty much every day. You can add in the typical, in and out of boats etc. In my case my shot was dead on on day 6, and I checked zero when I came back (for deer season) and and there was no shift.
A rifle/mount/scope should be able to hold zero through that kind of thing. It not practical to shoot to confirm zero every time you bump a rifle or fall on your butt.

I will say a hunt like my caribou hunt probably had about the same amount of scope abuse in it as what I do in a decade of hunting deer.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 62 of 254 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 253 254

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.