Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking about getting one, but they are as scarce as hens teeth. Which makes me wonder why. So, a couple of questions for those of you with some knowledge about them................first off, is the 6 Creedmoor really any better than the 243? Secondly, has anyone had any experience with putting a Stockys carbon fiber stock on a Howa barreled action in the 6 Creed. Hopefully some of you can answer those questions for me. Thanks.

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I likely have more Seex Kreed's than I think and I think I have quite a few. It is mechanically a much superior vessel to the 243 Win,none of which is subjective. Hint.

I only have (1) Howie so chambered and it's a hammer,though I drive it in a McMillan. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Having multiple Mini Howie Bitches in Carbon,I'd not want my Howie Kreed Sporter in same,because the balance would be schit. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I shoot two of them. Had one built 9-10 years ago and bought one of the Howa barreled actions a few years ago. I don’t know how to answer your question about it being better than a 243. I don’t think a 243 is better but can’t say this is better either. A few of the pros as I see them.

Factory rifles are twisted fast enough for longer bullets. Not always the case with the 243.

Factory ammo is available with 105’s and 108’s. Also seems to be available and one of the more affordable offerings.

The shorter case can aid with over all length issues should that matter.

For a handloader or using a custom barrel most of the advantages are a wash but doesn’t hurt anything.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Like Stick I think the Howa is on the heavy side for the stocky but they list the VG at 28 ounces. Might have to cut the barrel but might be able to make it work. I’m debating the same thing for a 243 vanguard.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
first off, is the 6 Creedmoor really any better than the 243? Secondly, has anyone had any experience with putting a Stockys carbon fiber stock on a Howa barreled action in the 6 Creed.

It's better at throwing heavy bullets straight from the factory than the .243 Win. There are now some factory fast twist .243 Winchester rifles, but all factory 6 Creeds have a fast twist. Other than that if you're shooting 100 grain or lighter bullets they are basically the same.

I have a buddy that used a blem Stocky's CF stock on his Howa. He dropped it at his GS to do some minor repairs, bed, and paint the stock. Overall he's very satisfied with it, he has an Alpine stock on a Howa .223 and says he likes the Alpine stock a little better.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you intend to shoot target bullets at long range then yes the 6MM Creed has an advantage. If you plan on hunting varmints and deer under normal conditions maybe the slower twist of the 243, 1-9.25 or 1-10 will work just fine. Currently running the 55 gr, Ballistic Tip at just under 3900 fps in my 243. Theoretically that bullet and the 58 grain Vmax would be over spun in the average 6Creed twist. So Who knows? Me I have been thinking about putting together a 6 Creed but waiting until my 243 barrel wears out.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aside from the faster factory twist rates, and factory ammo that makes use of them, the brass needs less trimming, barrel life may be longer, and the pressure excursions that the .243 may exhibit, blamed IIRC on throat erosion caused by the shallow shoulder angle, shouldn’t occur. I never shot a .243 enough to cause any of that.

For most hunting, it’s a tossup; pick the rifle that wins your heart. For my part, I have a nice 6 with a 1-7” barrel, and likely would only ever buy another .243 if it was some nice old classsic. I can shoot bullets up to 115gr at least, and long monos that may not spin fast enough in standard .243s. That’s reason enough for me to stick with the 6, and I gave my grandchildren a very nice .243, which likely may never fire more than a couple hundred rounds.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had both and like them both. The 6 Creed opens doors to sleeker bullets for way out there. Only way you used to get that in a .243 was a custom build. Now, Tikka/RemArms has their .243 in an 8 twist. If for hunting, the Tikka wouldn't be ruled out. If for long range target shooting, actions allowing for pre-fit shouldered barrels is where it's at.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore out two barrels on my Dakota 243 before buying a Fieldcraft 6CM. I liked the results of the FC so much that I bought the threaded model also and installed a can. I load the 108 ELD M in one and 95TTSX in the other. I prefer loading for the 6CM as it seems to be much friendlier to load for whereas the 243 seemed to be rather erratic with minor load changes. Both seemed to do their job on large predators and caribou.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
The .243 has been my go to for many years, then I went to the .243 A.I. 1 x 8 twist and it became my go to gun, then along came the 6 CM that i will call the .243 improved every thing about the 6 CM is easier reloading Powder bullet selection the 6 CM in a handy hunting rifle is a real cream puff that kills way above it's weight class. YMMV Rio7

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As others have said, it's the easy button. I'm really glad I went 6 instead of 6.5 when I got a toy for banging steel.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Answering 6.5 or 6mm Creedmoor questions is elementary. The factory rifles come twisted properly and the COAL is greatly assisted by the shortened brass. HINT . +P

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I choose the 6CM as it's not so cramped in a 2.8" 700 mag box.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I really like the 6mm Creedmoor and I've been a 6mm fan for years. I think it's the best of the 6s. I have a barret fieldcraft that shoots great and a howa 1500 barreled action I dropped in a vanguard Tupperware stock that I still haven't shot yet.

I had the howa listed for sale recently because I've been wanting a waypoint in 6 Creedmoor but need to make some room in my safes first.

Bb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'm thinking about getting one, but they are as scarce as hens teeth. Which makes me wonder why. So, a couple of questions for those of you with some knowledge about them................first off, is the 6 Creedmoor really any better than the 243? Secondly, has anyone had any experience with putting a Stockys carbon fiber stock on a Howa barreled action in the 6 Creed. Hopefully some of you can answer those questions for me. Thanks.

I've done exactly this ^^^^ mostly to try something new. Back in the early days of the Bat flu Brownells had Howa 6 Creed barreled actions for $189. Tried it in the Bansner stock from my faux Alpine in 6.5 Man Bun. It shot okay but I didn't want to open up the barrel channel on that stock and couldn't find another on Ebay so I pulled it and stuck it in the back of the safe.

When Stocky's started selling the blem carbon fiber stocks I bought two both a long and a short action. A sale priced 25-06 from Whittakers went in the long one which wasn't badly blemmed and the six went into the short one which is pretty rough. I had my smith bed them and the 25-06 shoots lights out but I still haven't shot the 6 CM. I need to get off my fat ass and shoot it as it'll make a super cheap SxS or truck coyote calling gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7
The .243 has been my go to for many years, then I went to the .243 A.I. 1 x 8 twist and it became my go to gun, then along came the 6 CM that i will call the .243 improved every thing about the 6 CM is easier reloading Powder bullet selection the 6 CM in a handy hunting rifle is a real cream puff that kills way above it's weight class. YMMV Rio7

.243 Done Right®️©️

DR for short……

My Fieldcraft has been one of the easiest rifles I’ve ever owned. Puts almost any similar weight bullet and load in the same place. Scored 100 Norma 107gr match loads for about $22 a box and they shoot very well indeed. Hornady ammo OTOH, has been kinda mediocre compared to my handloads. Goto hunting bullet is the 95gr LRX. Had a bunch of 95gr BTs, but sold them off since I’m concentrating on monos for meat-gathering, along with some bonded in lower-velocity rounds, for less blood-shot meat.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As Killer OEM parcels go,I gun Seex Kreed in Fieldcraft,Waypoint,Gen1 Havak and my Accuracy International AT-X should land today. Hint.

Pass the .620 BC 112 MB's at 3000fps on up. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I’m in the same boat as James Jr. Looked at a Ruger American Predator ($499) before Christmas that has since been sold

For someone on a budget ($1,000 or less) what would you get (not sure I want the Howa)?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JDK
I’m in the same boat as James Jr. Looked at a Ruger American Predator ($499) before Christmas that has since been sold

For someone on a budget ($1,000 or less) what would you get (not sure I want the Howa)?

I would buy a 8twist Tikka SS 243 and have the barrel set back and rechambered for 6 creed. That can be done for under 1k.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Originally Posted by JDK

I would buy a 8twist Tikka SS 243 and have the barrel set back and rechambered for 6 creed. That can be done for under 1k.

I would rather have a Howa than a Tikka.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (219 Wasp, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,027
Posts18,500,540
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.