Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nothing special for most of you, but I got a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70, all in, for $430 USD. That works out to no shipping charges or tax. It was the last CVA Scout he had, so it came home with me. I don't know why I bought it. 'Just cause' comes to mind. I'll find a 2.5 or 4 power scope somewhere (I hope).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love mine. I needed an adapter for my can to fit the threads on it, but other than that it's been awesome. It likes the 300g jacketed bullets and plain lead equally. I have the takedown model.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by goalie
I love mine. I needed an adapter for my can to fit the threads on it, but other than that it's been awesome. It likes the 300g jacketed bullets and plain lead equally. I have the takedown model.

I only have cast 405s in my gunroom. I want to try some 350s. I don't know how good the muzzle break works. I guess I'll know shortly. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Nice addition!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oooooo, that's gona hurt with full loads Steve!! Just gona use it for lite lead loads? Your getting a few single shots gathered up A?? How's the accuracy with the new contender & encor, must have missed your report on them. I think when we age we start to like simplicity. There supposed to have not bad triggers, how's yours? That might be a candidate for a bbl stub at that price. Everyone thinks now that H&R is defunct there collector pieces. Good luck & let us know how it shoots & how the trigger is. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Oooooo, that's gona hurt with full loads Steve!! Just gona use it for lite lead loads? Your getting a few single shots gathered up A?? How's the accuracy with the new contender & encor, must have missed your report on them. I think when we age we start to like simplicity. There supposed to have not bad triggers, how's yours? That might be a candidate for a bbl stub at that price. Everyone thinks now that H&R is defunct there collector pieces. Good luck & let us know how it shoots & how the trigger is. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

I don't have it in hand yet, but based on what I've read, the rifle, as is, weighs 8 lb. The scope is another pound, so the whole thing will be about 9 lb. The muzzle brake should reduce the felt recoil by 25-30%. I will try a couple of loads from the past. I am not into S&M, and will keep the 400 gr. loads at 1450-1500 fps. My computer tells me that the felt recoil will be about 21 ft-lb. Take 25% off for the muzzle brake and that leaves 15 ft-lb. I have two loads that used to work well in my Guide Gun and Ruger. I will end up using 300 and 350s in this.

I own 14 single shots from various makers. I just shot my 300 HAMR Contender, but have to re-shoot. I didn't tighten up the forend after installing the hanger. Velocities were where they needed to be, but the bullets were all over the paper. laugh

Prices for Handis are stupidly high. I think it's a combination of them not being made anymore and sellers thinking that there aren't many single shots around. Based on what I've done with other CVA single shots, they are much better made than the H&R rifles. And cheaper, I might add.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Looks to have a far better recoil pad than my #1, and a touch heavier, so it shouldn’t be too bad.

I like it!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a heck of a deal! That will take care of anything in your neck of the woods!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hoky dang, I had no idea they were that heavy! You'll be fine then. Keep us posted then. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I received the rifle today and thought that those of you who have not seen it might want some pix. I haven't fired it yet, but am looking forward to trying this trigger. I kept reading about how good it was on the Interwebs, and can see why. Mine breaks at 3lb and of the various single shots I own, including H&R, Ruger and TC Encores and Contenders, it is the best out of the box.

It weighs exactly 7.5 lb and is fast to take down and put together The scope will add another lb.

The hammer extension will probably be necessary once the scope is installed. I will take the rail off, clean it up and re-install with some Loctite.

It has a standard breech, lever and a muzzle brake to wake up the neighbours. The action will not open with the hammer cocked.

On the bottom, just forward of the trigger, is the CIP proof stamp and serial no. The Scout is hecho en Espana.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,191 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,244
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.