Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
In bad weather at about 5:50 pm. Thursday 4 Jan 2024. Pilots and crew ejected safely.

Link

Link

Link: video with radio communications...

Phil

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Heard that last night. My nephew works at Ellsworth, it was a training flight and it was foggy. Thank goodness there were no fatalities.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Greyghost
In bad weather at about 5:50 pm. Thursday 4 Jan 2024. Pilots and crew ejected safely.

Link

Link

Phil
On a 'training mission'??? Guess they need more training.. Thank God they got out and are OK...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
And the B-52 just keeps on keepin' on! Been around in one form or another since 1955!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
And the B-52 just keeps on keepin' on! Been around in one form or another since 1955!

You must have been around when Johnny NyQuil was refuelling them.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Redneck

Link

Link

Phil
On a 'training mission'??? Guess they need more training.. Thank God they got out and are OK...
Don't know why they have to declare it a training mission. Probably >90% of their flights are training missions...
And the BUFFs that are flying now were built in '60 - '61.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

Link

Link

Phil
No one cares what you have to say. Fugg off

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Go to google maps and look at Whiteman AFB.

Current image shows a stealth bomber off the runway with emergency vehicles and a lot of activity around it.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ain't the first one at EAFB either allways this time of year. Their on landing approach and dropping like a rock, not much time to recover when the windshield ices over losing visibility. They are slowing down and losing altitude to fast to hit the burners and go around so they punch out. Better to lose the plane than a plane and crew. Last time 3 out of the 4 were never able to fly again. They got unlucky but no one lost either or civilians on the ground..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can't justify a new one when the old ones work just fine and the military industrial complex keeps rolling on.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Magnum: Due to the weather conditions I suspect the aircraft was on a GCA or ILS approach. These 2 approach types usually have around a 3 degree glide slope. An aircraft is not "dropping like a rock" when executing a normal instrument approach and it is not "losing altitude to (sic) fast to hit the burners and go around". Even in the flare you can always execute a missed approach by going to full military power, rotating the nose and retracting the speed brakes if they are deployed. If the aircraft touches down it is no different than a touch and go and no reason to "punch out". I would be surprised if the B1 does not have a heated front wind screen but I have not flown a B1. Might I suggest we wait for the preliminary accident report to see what extenuating circumstances (flameout, excessive cross wind, nil braking action, instrument failure, etc.) may have contributed to this accident?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What Bob said, except that GCAs are a thing of the past, I think.

As usual, the non-pilots here will toss out an array of bizarre speculations based on what they think they know about aircraft and flying. The pros will wait for the accident board's summary.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
What Bob said, except that GCAs are a thing of the past, I think.

As usual, the non-pilots here will toss out an array of bizarre speculations based on what they think they know about aircraft and flying. The pros will wait for the accident board's summary.
Rocky, I haven't heard that (GCA) in a long time. Long ago I operated a KC135 Flr Sim. & one of the roles I played was GCA controller !!

"not too grumpy"
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
The last update stated that the air crew was injured. One man is in the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, while the other three were treated on the base.

Phil

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
You guys might be right. The lastime it happened my neighbor down the road who at the time was a navigator on the kc135 that landed in front of the B1B that crashed back then . They had a check pilot with them and the check pilot told the pilot to go around. They had the.heating on the windshield at full power. My neighbor was air craft commander do not go around and put it on the ground now which was done. Conditions weather wise change very fast at EAFB. That info was radioed to the tower , one would assume they advised the b1b 3 minutes behind them of those conditions. Yet they iced up on the windscreen and punched out. That's what my neighbor told me he was there but what the fug he was only a major not a guy on the internet..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
You guys might be right. The lastime it happened my neighbor down the road who at the time was a navigator on the kc135 that landed in front of the B1B that crashed back then . They had a check pilot with them and the check pilot told the pilot to go around. They had the.heating on the windshield at full power. My neighbor was air craft commander do not go around and put it on the ground now which was done. Conditions weather wise change very fast at EAFB. That info was radioed to the tower , one would assume they advised the b1b 3 minutes behind them of those conditions. Yet they iced up on the windscreen and punched out. That's what my neighbor told me he was there but what the fug he was only a major not a guy on the internet..mb
Wait, What?
Your neighbor was a navigator and also the Aircraft Commander?
That doesn't sound right.The pilot is ALWAYS the AC regardless of the rank of the navigator. My battle staff commander was a full bird colonel, my pilot was a captain or a major and he was the AC. I took my orders from the pilot (AC) though the BC might inject his wishes which I would accommodate with the blessing of my pilot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,966
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.