Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey Guys. I think after many thousands of rounds through my little plastic Lee powder drop i am ready to move on..plus It really doesnt do great anyway with ball powder. anybody use a Frankford arsenal benchtop drop?? for about 100 bucks it comes with a mount . which most of them dont. Looks pretty simple. might try one but interested in any experience. thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't used one personally but I think it looks like a great option. I looked it up, and I see that it comes with a riser stand and micrometer included. It also says drum operates on ball bearings. I bet it will be smooth.

I've used enough of the Frankford equipment that I think they're decent quality.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
About a year ago I upgraded from the plastic Lee Perfect Powder Measure to the Lee metal drum version. I cannot recall what they call it, but it is the only metal one they have. I have been very pleased with it. It is more accurate than the plastic one and is made of much better materials. It measures ball powders far better and is accurate throw after throw. Where the old plastic one would tend to get powder grains jammed in the rotating drum after it got some wear on it, this new metal drum one does not have that issue at all. The new model also is easier to calibrate. I check each charge on a digital scale and it is consistently right on the money. Someone else may make a better one, I don't know, but I am very satisfied with this improved version from Lee. The last I looked, the price was right as well.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the plastic Lee as well as the Redding 3BR Match Grade and the Lyman Brass Smith. Of them all, I like the Lyman Brass Smith the best. The 3BR was a waste of money and does nothing the others won't. I like the Lyman based on it's ability to some apart for easy cleaning.

I used the Lee for a while and if there is one thing the Lee had going for it, it had instructions converting grains to cubic centimeters. I put this in an Excel table was able to quickly dial for my needs. The Redding and the Lyman have been trial and error up to this point.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Using an RCBS uniflow bought used on eBay . Also got the Hornady quick change stand w/bushing from Scheels.
Measure is solid, heavy and metal . Meters ball powders accurately with no adjustment. Stick powders require
occasional adjustment . Quick change stand allows easy detach for dumping remaining powder back in canister.
No plastic for me thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gave my plastic Lee to my son and bought a the Lee Cast. It works fine. I expect the drops to be bang on, with no trickle needed, and it is. I thought the plastic one was smoother though.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 11 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.