Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 credit cards with modest limits on them. They've both been pushing me to jump to a reward type card since forever, but I never felt like pursuing it.

I read the details of one offer this morning.

What it boils down to is that there doesn't seem to be any downside. The upside is that I could earn either money back, on all purchases made, or "miles" that I assume are airline miles as a reward

The money back seems a sure thing.
I have a vigorous agenda of travel plans which will require air travel.

I'd appreciate any experienced perspective.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not big on cc, but I'll take advantage of the 0% stuff that gets offered. Heck, just needed a set of new truck tires, boy they have gone up. WF had an active cash card that gives you 200 back on first purchase over 500 bucks plus 2% after that. 0% for first 15 months. Tires were 1500otd, WF gave me 200 for the purchase and 2% on top, I've got about 1250 bucks to pay back at 0% over 15 months. Trick is, making sure you pay it off by 15 months, I guess they hope folks wont and all that crazy interest gets added back. I could have paid cash for them, but this saved me more money.

Last edited by killerv; 01/05/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you use it for, and do you carry a balance? We use an Amazon card, so cash back in credit on Amazon for everything. Friends that fly more use cards that gives them miles. The key is what does it cost, what do you get out of it, and is it worth it. We put tons on the card then pay it off monthly, so the money back is "free" but if you carry a balance, the percentage you pay waaaaaaay outweighs the benefit you're getting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A free rewards card is brainless. Just do it.

A fee based rewards card like the AMEX Delta card is awesome if you travel a lot and use a card a lot. I've got the Platinum card and I rack up 150K to 200K miles each year on it. Unfortunately, Delta along with most of the other carriers have changed their rewards program based on ticket expenditure and not so much for card expenditure. So you really have to weigh out the advantages/disadvantages on airline rewards.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know about "rewards" cards...but I got a straight AMEX Business card...straight 1% cash back every month (I don't carry a balance, it's computed on the billing date). 1% is pretty poor, but there are no rules or gimmicks, and 1% is better than nothing.
It used to add up when I was doing 5 or 10,000 a month in parts bills.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have pretty much always carried a zero balance from month to month. I'll make a purchase with each card once a month or so and pay it off as the statements are issued

Pursuing rewards would, I think, entail using the card for almost all purchases. Making thr reward worthwhile would likely hinge on ability to pay off the balance monthly

How do the "Miles" rewards work?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Cap1 miles offer is 1.25 miles per dollar charged to the card. (edit) If I read it right.

What I don't understand is how I buy fuel at the kwik Trip, breakfast at the Red Apple, and a length of chain from Farm and Fleet, and use the rewards for airfare.

Last edited by johnw; 01/05/24.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have 8-9 different cards. As a rule only 2 get used and if I don't pay them off at the end of the month I don't carry much over and it would be rare to keep a balance for over 2-3 months. I get rewards on both of those. It's $500ish combined each year and I don't see how I have anything to lose as long as I don't carry a big balance long term.

Most of the others are store specific cards, Home Depot, Sears, Cabelas, etc. I almost never use those and always pay the balance at the end of the month. You have to read the fine print carefully. For example my Cabelas card charges like 8% interest on Cabelas purchases, but over 20% if you use the card for anything else. And they make it harder to pay off the 20% part. I usually wait until I have at least $200 in Cabelas bucks and use it on a more expensive purchase.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ve been flying my daughter back and forth to Australia twice a year just from attaching my electric bill and insurance to auto draft via my United Airlines Visa

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Amazon Chase. 1-3% depending on some categories. I run through almost all my bills, so I get points pretty quick. I think maybe 30-50 bucks a month. I usually just apply it to an Amazon order, or better yet I sometimes just get slim jims and protein bars. That stuff tastes better because it is free. Really painless, no fees, easy to apply points to amazon. Had it for decades.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Citi Double cash card. Basically 1% back on every purchase 1% back when paid - which is before the bill ever comes due. I also have a Discover IT card which is 1% on all purchases and 5% on a "category" each quarter. I literally use a credit card for any purchase that will let me and use the points / cash / miles.

It's a no brainer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The credit card companies pass the cost of their rewards on to the vendors, who pass it on to us, one way or another. So, if you're not using a reward card, you're still paying for it. Might as well use one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

A fee based rewards card like the AMEX Delta card is awesome if you travel a lot and use a card a lot. I've got the Platinum card and I rack up 150K to 200K miles each year on it. Unfortunately, Delta along with most of the other carriers have changed their rewards program based on ticket expenditure and not so much for card expenditure. So you really have to weigh out the advantages/disadvantages on airline rewards.

Go with an American AAdvantage card. Way less miles for reward travel. Especially overseas. And you have the One World airline alliance to pick your flights from. I actually often prefer flying foreign carriers. Many of them treat you better and the food is often a lot better. Although, I'm not a big Airbus fan. So, I avoid them whenever possible. Don't like their seating.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by bpas105
The credit card companies pass the cost of their rewards on to the vendors, who pass it on to us, one way or another. So, if you're not using a reward card, you're still paying for it. Might as well use one.

Yep, yet folks will still argue that you being charged some hidden interest. I guess you are when its figured in the product price....but a 700 dollar dish washer from lowes is the same exact same price if you pay cash or take the 0% for 6 months and some times even 12 months when offered. The 0% for 6 months is offered every day at lowes on purchases 300 bucks or more. Even cheaper if you take their 5% off when using their card and just pay it off when the bill comes. While I understand not having a bill over your head, if you have discipline you can save alot of money.

Last edited by killerv; 01/05/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Go with an American AAdvantage card. Way less miles for reward travel. Especially overseas. And you have the One World airline alliance to pick your flights from. I actually often prefer flying foreign carriers. Many of them treat you better and the food is often a lot better. Although, I'm not a big Airbus fan. So, I avoid them whenever possible. Don't like their seating.

I’d like to hear more from Citi AA users. For years I was able to do airfare for an annual fishing trip using Citi AA miles, and over time, it became more and more difficult and untenable, to the point that I went away from Citi AA completely.

I still have some miles in that account, but to me they look like they have been devalued considerably, although I would love to be incorrect on that score.

Always looking for a better travel card here ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am happy with my rewards card because of the air miles. They are always advertising hotel stays and car rentals but I limit my rewards to flying.

I have flown from Denver to various destinations in Alaska, ten times and never paid more than $16 for taxes. If you want to hunt in Alaska, then an Alaska Airlines credit card is a wise decision.

I have also flown for free from Denver to Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Washington D.C., Cabo San Lucas, and Mexico City, and never paid more than a few $$ for taxes.

I pay for all my normal monthly expenses using my credit and I never carry over a balance, so I pay no interest. I pay an annual fee of $90.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m constantly soaking the pukes for their rewards and then dumping and cancelling them.

The one’s especially that offer $200-500 if ya spend $5000 inside of 90days.

Keep a rotation of offers and new banks. Play about 4-5 cards a year like that, toss the money to pay my property taxes.

Been doing that for about 15 years

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If you do a "rewards" every time it is offered by every establishment/business, you will need to buy a shoe-box for the cards....

And this stuff ain't free; You or others are paying for it- they jack up the prices and interest rates to pay for the cash back or other stuff. If it isn't more bother than worth to you, by all means work the system.

We are running "rewards" on Alaska Air, WF accounts, and Fred Meyer and Safeway. Well, I am, anyway. No telling what my wife has going on, but she pays the bills. FM and Safeway are good for fuel discounts, for us. We gotta eat anyway!

FM and Safeway, I don't need no stinking card to carry- just the "alternate ID".

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use one card. I pay everything with it. Groceries, diesel, doctor Co Pay, utilities. Pay it off before due. Get at least $75 bucks back every month.

Sam......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.