Print Thread
Hop To
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
So, I think I have an idea, or at least in my mind, but im here to learn, what do you guys think is a good deal? I know what, the purist won't want to say, but really, been in a pickup its montana life, basically an action for a build what are you're thoughts? I too have seen H&H actions sell for 900 plus, but what do you guys see as a good deal for a model 70 action?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am going to take a wild azz guess at this one. For me if I paid less than $800 for a pre64 action and if I paid less than $600 for a stainless classic six digit action. I would think I was getting a deal.

I didn’t list push feed because I personally wouldn’t build on a push feed action or a modern SC or Portugal action for that matter. I probably wouldn’t tear apart a classic five digit or build on a blued classic action.

The answer is going to be largely it depends. Which era , what type, material, etc are you looking at getting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
So, I think I have an idea, or at least in my mind, but im here to learn, what do you guys think is a good deal? I know what, the purist won't want to say, but really, been in a pickup its montana life, basically an action for a build what are you're thoughts? I too have seen H&H actions sell for 900 plus, but what do you guys see as a good deal for a model 70 action?

Please enlighten us as to what model 70 you are talking about. It's just like in the classifieds, where someone asks, "what is this model 70 worth", with no description and no pictures. Why do you guys think there is only one model 70? I really need to know. Seriously though, what one are you exactly talking about? Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The rarest of the M70 is the D.B.M. Edition only produced in 1994: 'One year run only". There are other M70's of value but they're the pre 64 type. However post 64 with pre 64 action (CRF) are better. I recently posted on another thread for I have a USRAC M70 (CRF) made for me by Winchester with good wood and a engraved pistol grip cap. The price is around $3000.00 for my model .300 Winchester Magnum (DBM 'Classic') Sport. I've been thinking of selling lately but I'm uncertain. Naturally, the M70 I have is Made in the USA at New Haven CT. and fully documented. The magazine designation is E.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don’t know what they’re worth to you all, but I’ll give a 1000 bucks for a clean H&H action. 750-800 for a standard 06 action. I’m sure you can pay more or less but that’s my line. That’s with a trigger, bottom metal, etc.

Semper Fi
IC B2

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ya, I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been with my question. I typically look at pre 64's and the earlier classics when im out and about. I know we will all differ a bit with our answer to this. If I had a project immediately in mind, that could play into what I think is a good deal. But, if I have nothing particular in mind, that doesn't mean I won't drag something home if its priced right.

I guess I'm kind of in the ball park with Idg, I gave 6 for a new 6 digit fwt classic for my newton project, but any of my other classics were under that. I guess under 8 on a pre 64 im looking pretty hard and probably going to see where the negotiation process goes. I was just curious as to what others thought.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought a '55 30-06 with a corroded barrel and incorrect stock for $500. Sold the stock on ebay for $200 and rebarrelled it in 280 AI with a stainless barrel. It's really all over the place, I think.

Kansan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It all depends on what you are looking for exactly. A lot depends on where you look too. It also depends on how hard you look. Some guys that surf the web, will never find a truly great deal. Some good deals can be found that way, but the real good deals are out there on used rifle racks, small shops, that you don't even know they are gunshops, but old cinderblock buildings, with a small sign in the window. Pawnshops are also great places to snag good deals. Because some say the prices are all over the place, this is the reason. Some of us pay dearly, while others find sweetheart deals. Which do you want to be? So what really, is a model 70 worth??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Oh no bsa, agreed. Especially the last sentence, what is a model 70 worth! I need nothing new, but, that does not mean that I am going to discontinue stopping by any gunshop or pawnshop I see. I have gotten to the point that if I see something I ask myself, if I needed my money back tomorrow, could I get it? If my answer to that is yes, im prolly gonna drag it home whether I think I need it or not. I've bought several pre 64 rifle for 500 or less, most for projects. Standards in 06, 270, been road hard and put away wet. I did buy a fpre 64 featherweight 06 in a McMillian stock for 450. It was actually pretty nice but it is now my 284, and that rifle shoots so well, I dont regret using it for that project. I too, normally do not look too hard at the pf model 70, but when you have one staring you in the face for 550 bucks, with a 100 dollar vortex on top, sitting in a McM stock sporting a Hart stainless fluted barrel chambered in 280, yes, im looking. One of my last pre 64 projects was a douglas 280 barrel on pre 64 so I sure as hell didn't need that pf, but it sure followed me home.

I know that the answer to the mystery can depend a bunch on where you're at and the number of said rifles floating around. I do think that around here you don't see an over abundance of pre 64 or early classics, but, youll stumble into them. I think what motivated me to pose the question was based on the fact that I did recently buy a 1954 vintage standard 06. I have no use for it, no project in mind, not that that can't change, just not the case now. The rifle has very little original finish left, incorrect low comb stock with no finish, checkering wore to nothing, and an H carved in it. No scope but is sporting an old lyman reciever sight. It had been priced for about 800 for some time and I finally just said, if youll take 6 im a buyer. As I was on the fire I looked at that rifle holding up the corner of my living room and because it was about a 100 more than what I normally give for a project grade pre 64 I just thought, I wonder what other folks here thoughts are. I don't regret it as I do think the answer to the question I ask myself is yes, but I guess I just wondered what other people, potentially in the same situation at times thought.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.