Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
has anybody ever solved or found a workaround for the known flare issue schmidt and bender scopes have? i love my s&b klassik 3-12x50 scope but that flare is something when pointing towards or directly away from a setting or rising sun. i wonder would a sunshade eliminate the flare?

Big Ed

Last edited by whitearrow; 01/02/24.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitearrow
has anybody ever solved or found a workaround for the known flare issue schmidt and bender scopes have? i love my s&b klassik 3-12x50 scope but that flare is something when pointing towards or directly away from a setting or rising sun. i wonder would a sunshade eliminate the flare?

Big Ed
I have this scope. There is no flare issue. I shot my biggest buck ever with the sun behind him in Wyoming.

I have no idea where you heard this. Somewhere on this forum I mentioned the shot in a thread several years ago.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sunshade helps. I use the following (on an x42 objective) and prefer the rubber to the aluminum. I didn't look at what they have for 50mm...sorry.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Bender-42mm-Rubber-Sun-Shades-971-44210.aspx

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Big Ed
I have this scope. There is no flare issue. I shot my biggest buck ever with the sun behind him in Wyoming.

I have no idea where you heard this. Somewhere on this forum I mentioned the shot in a thread several years ago.
well buddy you mighta gotten lucky but mine definitely has it but only on 12x is it seen to be troublesome. its juts a washed out looking image kinda like its foggy out. scope is brand new with its first 2 outings i've seen this.

Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Take time to make sure your obj lens is actually clean.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Big Ed

well buddy you mighta gotten lucky but mine definitely has it but only on 12x is it seen to be troublesome. its juts a washed out looking image kinda like its foggy out. scope is brand new with its first 2 outings i've seen this.

Big Ed

Only on 12X? Seriously?

You think the optics are fine on all other powers?

Give me a break.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Big Ed

Big Ed

Only on 12X? Seriously?

You think the optics are fine on all other powers?

Give me a break.
just reporting on what I see bud. glad you got a good one that shows no signs of stray light flare..

Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

LOL
lol right. brandy new scope thats always had the lens covers on..even while sitting on stand.

Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

LOL
lol right. brandy new scope thats always had the lens covers on..even while sitting on stand.

Big Ed

Sorry, I assumed you got after it. Won’t make that mistake again.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

LOL

Big Ed
Things might get better if you took the lens covers off before you shoot . Just sayin!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
No I don’t leave the lens covers on while shooting. Just while the rifle is leaning in the corner of the stand I keep em on.

Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Had several dozen, pm2’s, klassic’s a few zenith’s, a few ultra brights, and even a summit, which was actually the best in terms of glare with the ones I’ve owned. A

nyway most all had glare at power in certain conditions, the higher power scopes being the worst. Looking north or south west on a clear day made some literally unusable and cost me to many times.

This isn’t a new thing, awesome glass, great scopes, very bright, other than the glare thing, but that’s a big deal for the coin they ask, a definite no go for me with the type hunting I do. That’s my experience anyway.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I posted this on another forum. It happened to me this past hunting season with a 3-12x42mm Klassik with illuminated dot reticle.

I have that scope with illuminated dot reticle. It adjusts very well and seems very tough. However, it flared badly on me this year. A buck came out with a doe at daylight, to the east at 120 yards. I could clearly see the buck through my binos but when I put the gun up, it was like looking into a whiteout fog/snow storm but there was neither that morning. At first, I thought the scope was fogged but I tilted it up towards the treetops to check the image and it was clear. When I dropped back down on the buck, it was a complete whiteout and couldn’t see him. It took another 3-4 mins before I could faintly make out the deer’s shoulder. I squeezed off and heard the bullet impact but had no idea what had happened. Fortunately, the buck dropped but there was no way I could tell…..I have many brands of scopes and have shot at first and last light in similar situations but have never experienced that….I contacted SB and they offered to check the scope, which was bought new about a year ago. I am going to send it back after the season…..I have a 50mm Klassik and it has not shown the issue. I also learned that the Klassiks have an “upper 80’s” light transmission due to being an older design….

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.