Print Thread
Hop To
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Is anyone loading their 6.5CM down near 6.5 Grendel velocities. If so have you done any hunting with it at those velocities? I understand the "bullets not head stamps" thing and have been a reloader for many years. I picked up a Remington 700 ADL synthetic at a cheap price that had the barrel shortened to 20". Figured it'd be more fun off the bench and for practice if tamed down a bit. The Federal factory ammo I got with it seems to have a fair amount of muzzle blast. In fairness, it is the shortest barreled rifle I own so I'm probably biased.

Thanks.

Frank

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems pretty obvious that a Creed loaded to Grendel speeds is going to perform exactly like a Grendel, assuming like bullets. No dearth of Grendel praise here for certain.

My sole deer kill with my Mini was done with a 120gr Gold Dot, designed for Grendel velocities, presumably at about 2600. Went through about 12” of venison and sailed on. I also have some 129g ABLS on hand, but haven’t tried them in this rifle. IIRC, they’re supposed to expand down to 1300fps. I may however, switch to monos for deer if I can find some TTSXs and get them to shoot.

H4895 oughta get you where you want to go without compromising accuracy, if you can find some…..

What fresh Hell is this?
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I agree with the obvious about bullet performance. I guess I could have added questions related to specifics of accuracy results and best powders found for that application. Ultimately that's what I'm interested in.

Not meaning to sound snarky but I tried to cover the bullet performance thing in the OP with the "Bullets matter more..." I was hoping for info about powders other than H4895 (I do have most of a pound) which is the easy starting point. I think it might have been Seafire that posted about reduced loads with IMR powders performing better, with better accuracy, than H4895. Sierra's reloading data shows loads for 140grs at 2300, Nosler shows same bullet weights at 2400. Curious if anyone found any combinations that worked well for them.

Even though every rifle is an individual, I'd be interested in the experiences of others before using up components.

Thanks.

Frank

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Pappy348, what bullet did you shoot your deer with? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn’t notice any snark, but your hope the Stick quote would convey much about your intent is a forlorn one, in my case anyway.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 120gr Gold Dot. Reasonably priced, and accurate. I thought I already mentioned that…

What fresh Hell is this?
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
You did, I'm sorry that I missed that and was redundant. Which Mini did you buy? I'm torn between buying a barreled action and putting one together, or buying the Carbon Stalker Mini. I know from our earlier PM's that you have the Stocky's stock as well as the Pendleton, just wondering if you bought yours complete or bought the barreled action. Honestly considering selling the Creedmoor I bought (from a friend who could use the money) and just putting that money straight into a Grendel. Wouldn't be opposed to another Remington project though.

Thanks.

Frank

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
120 Ballistic Tip should work

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks MuskegMan. I have some 140BTs and will keep an eye out for the 120s.

Pappy, another question, what powder are you using in your Grendel with the Gold Dots.

Thanks.

Frank

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully, those who’ve heard this saga before will excuse the repetition. I bought the Mini from Whittaker’s; $359 with two stocks. Had the adult one painted by MtnBoomer for future use by my grandson. I bought an OG floorplate and Pendleton stock from Wayne York, then sold the youth stock here. Later I replaced the floorplate with a JO unit, which works better. The Carbon stock is on my .223, purchased as a factory Carbon Stalker. If I wanted another, availability of the components to build might be more of an issue than the cost, depending on how quick I wanted it. For certain, the JO floorplate is the best $175 you can spend on one, if you can get it. Both the Stockys stock and the Pendleton are nice, but IMO the carbon needs some paint for texture and appearance. At IIRC, about $300 for the Stockys blem, it is somewhat cheaper than York’s, and a bit slimmer I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks Pappy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Grendal, and use it hunting. It is in a Ruger Predator. I have a couple of Howa minis in 223, but declined it in the Grendal after handling one. The magazines used are my reason for it. I use Polymer AR 223 mags in my Ruger, which work fine and are only $10 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

To address loading a NeedMore to Grendal Specs. I have done that in a 260 quit often, and also in 243, for equaling the 6 ARC.

Powder choices on what is still on the shelves.

IMR 4198, RL 7, H 4198, Blue Dot and several others.

With all the above, minus Blue Dot, charge between 25 to 30 grains, with any bullet weight available in 6.5 mm., will give you Grendal equivalency.

Blue Dot will provide it with max charges at 22 grains... but 18 to 20 would also work quite well with fine accuracy

Recoil with any of this will equal recoil from the Grendal, as max handloads with the Grendal max out at about 30 grains in my experience.

Just providing some alternatives to your desires. there really is no need to sell your ADL and purchase a Grendal if you don't want to.

Recoil and velocity would be the same as the Grendal.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks (as always) Seafire.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just as a reference point, 28.0 gr of H4895 pushes a 129 Interlock at 2147 fps from my 20" 6.5 Manbun barrel. Not "cloverleaf" accuracy but consistently groups three under 1 1/4". I might try BlueDot this winter just for giggles as (per Seafire's guidance) it has worked wonderfully for me with plinking loads in other cartridges.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,743
Posts18,476,068
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.