Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What do you like for a budget 22rf semiauto. I picked up a brand new never fired marlin m60 in blue and wood. Thinking about putting a scope on it to play with it.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have a BSA sweet 22 , Bushnell Banner 2 and a Burris Fullfield II . All work for a 22 casual target shooter .
The Burris is now discontinued ( but still available )

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are willing to go with a 50mm Objective, this is as good of a scope as you can get at $100. For slightly more, the Burris Droptine Rimfire and the Weaver rimfire from Natchez are solid deals. All of these scopes keep you out of China.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A quick check of ebay shows used Burris Fullfield II and Droptine Rimfire scopes available for your price range, those are good solid scopes and would probably be a first choice since you can still get them serviced if need be. If you don't mind going a bit over your budget, Amazon is showing a brand new Burris Droptine 3-9x40 scope with Ballistic Plex .22 reticle for $123.69.

Going back to the used market, the Made in Japan Weaver scopes with 1" tubes are inexpensive but made to a good standard.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Goomba777
I have a BSA sweet 22 , Bushnell Banner 2 and a Burris Fullfield II . All work for a 22 casual target shooter .
The Burris is now discontinued ( but still available )

Might as well throw Tasco onto that list.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. My old M60 Glenfield has an old Tasco 4X on it. Once you get it set, it stays there. Not bad for $20.
I can't tell you how many deer have been killed here with cheap Tasco scopes

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Check Natchez Shooters Supply they generally have some Bushnell rimfire scopes on sale that will work for you.
Also I just received a notice from Cabelas that today is a 10% off day so you may find something listed on their site. promo code - 24CLUB18

That brings the price of a Burris Droptine rimfire scope down to around $117 with free shipping - making it a fairly good buy and a step up from the lower end scopes.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
A Bushnell Banner 4-12X40 will be under $100 and are pretty good.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22

I'm sure many guys still use the Bushnell Banner. Some of my buddies for example. One uses them on his yote rifles, because if he falls on it and breaks it, he's not out much. He's been using the Banner 2 lately, and they are under $100.00, or right at $100.00 and they came with rings.

For a rimfire, I still prefer something with an AO, but I've used all the above mentioned scopes on 10/22's, and other 22lr's. With this being said, the Marlin model 60 seems like it needs to have a more svelte rifle scope on top, since it is a pretty trim rifle. Something like an old Leupol 2-7 or 3-9x40 max.. I remember back in the day, they came with 3/4" tube rifle scopes in the 4x20 variant. Looked like a little air rifle scope, but they worked. My dad bought one back in the early 80's, and he never changed that scope. The rifle was amazingly accurate too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K22

That's what I'm using on both of my 10-22s. I wouldn't think there's enough recoil to knock them out of alignment,

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a straight tube 4x20 "Bushnell Banner 22" on my 10/22 standard carbine for several years. It was made in Japan, has a duplex reticle and was a fine scope for general plinking and ground squirrel shooting. Straight tube, lightweight at 8 oz, it would be a good match for a trim Model 60.

It's a couple-three decades old and sits on a shelf now only because that rifle got "upgraded" with a Weaver Classic 6x38, but the adjustments are still solid and the glass is still clear and bright.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The Bushnell Banner I was referring to does have the AO feature, so it's a great inexpensive match for rimfire rifles. I have one I've used off and on for awhile now. The optics are really clear.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
The Bushnell Banner I was referring to does have the AO feature, so it's a great inexpensive match for rimfire rifles. I have one I've used off and on for awhile now. The optics are really clear.

My buddies is a 4-12x40 with an AO as well. It's a Banner 2 though. Looked through it last month, when I was yote hunting with him. It's a decent scope, but did not appear to be real clear to me. He says it's really clear, but my eyes told me otherwise. I'd still take a Burris of just about any type, over the Banner. The last one I had, did not work right out of the box, and I returned it the same day. That was back in the 90's. Have actually had better luck with the Tasco world class rifle scopes. Those are fairly reasonably priced. Back in the day, the Simmons Aetec were also a pretty good scope for the money. I have also had pretty good luck with the Bushnell trophy scopes. Now, those were a couple steps above the Banner IMHO..

A lot of you guys are very lucky, because you have better eyes than I do. When I say the scopes are not clear to my eyes, that is not an insult to you. Just that my eyes suck..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had excellent luck with a few Bushnell Trophy XLT scopes. They used to sell a 1.75-4xx32 with 40yard parallax setting for shotgun use. I had two, still have one on my old 581. Just about perfect for a plinker/hunter. Also had a 4-12x40 with AO, airgun rated too. All worked well. Since Bushnell doesn't actually make anything, just resells, the COO is a moving target. Some of the XLTs I have/had were made in Korea, others the Philippines; might find older ones from Japan too.

I think a 1-4ish LPVO or even a fixed 4 is about ideal for a rifle like yours. A Hubble might be handy for testing ammo, but it would spoil the handling for field use.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Had a straight tube 4x20 "Bushnell Banner 22" on my 10/22 standard carbine for several years. It was made in Japan, has a duplex reticle and was a fine scope for general plinking and ground squirrel shooting. Straight tube, lightweight at 8 oz, it would be a good match for a trim Model 60.

I have a couple of these 4x straight-tubed Japan-made Bushnell Banner rimfire scopes currently in use on my 22 LR rifles. Bright, clear and crisp image. $40-50?

A recommended "$100-ish" scope option is the Hawke Vantage 4x AO. I have one, and it impresses me (ebay $79 anib, two years ago. New now ~$107 shipped). They also make 2-7x, 3-9x and 4-12x models.

On a lower $ level, I picked up a used Simmons 4x scope (44 Mag?) ten+ years ago, for $15-20 It worked just fine. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised how crisp the view was edge-to-edge. I had that on a Marlin m60. Sold both rifle/scope years ago. If was a fun and accurate rig that had zero issues with the scope or rifle.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve used Simmons 22MAG 3-9X AO scopes on a few .22s and for the price point (<$40) worked just fine…….FWIW

PennDog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,075
Posts18,501,543
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.