Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Igloo
I thought CRF was uber reliable. Try it in some push feed guns? grin whistle wink

Good ones have the potential to be uber reliable. It’s the execution that’s lacking, especially in these days when companies rely on their victims……er customers, to do QC for them. I think one reason that detachable magazines have become so popular on hunting rifles is that they eliminate some of the work required to get them to feed reliably. I’ve never had a functional issue with any of my CRFs, but all of them are digesting the cartridges they were built for. Mighta been lucky with my Rugers, or they were made before their QC reached its current state, quien sabe?

Good PFs work well too, of course. The battlefield conditions that CRFs were designed to handle aren’t encountered much by hunters these days.

It behooves shooters to put their outfits though some serious function testing before taking them afield, if they want to avoid surprises anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have almost never fired a factory load in my rifles. That being said, I have seen several misfires with Hornady factory ammo. That is totally dependent upon who supplies their primers. I REALLY like Hornady Interlocks and have killed a truckload of deer with them. I am not as much of a fan of the ELDX, but the ELDM are very accurate and work well on deer. I have also been adequately pleased with their brass.

I am sure that there are complaints about any ammo at some point, but Hornady needs to step it up a bit on their ammo.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I do not buy factory ammo so I cannot comment on it. But I have had success with Hornady interlocks and sst's. I can't complain.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was formerly a fan, no more. Hunted in KS this year as host (no license for me), step son sat with me, had a shot at a young buck (he's never killed a buck), offered him my 308, pulls trigger, cartridge does not fire. Deer gone, too late to eject and shoot again. Primer had indent, did not fire. Rifle is a Defiance Tenacity, has never misfired before or after, ammo was Hornady 165 grain interlock, basic stuff. Son used same rifle and ammo to kill his deer next day. Hornady blamed rifle, not cartridge and did not request ammo to check.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by JGRaider
They lost me after Steve Hornady's Covid "vax" mandate to his employess,

Indeed! I don't plan to ever buy another Hornady product.

So, Hypothetically if most or all of the manufacturers did that (Powder, primer, bullets, firearms etc.) you would give up guns all together?

No, they're just virtue signalling

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
I don’t forego Hornady because of jab politics, I just think their stuff is crap.

Fair enough

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
In my best Louis Farrakhan voice. Do all the Hornady haters realize that the cartridges labled PRC are supporting the Peoples Republic of China?

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pavementends
In my best Louis Farrakhan voice. Do all the Hornady haters realize that the cartridges labled PRC are supporting the Peoples Republic of China?
I just thought the users were PRCks

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Osky
On the topic of Hornady, I had a young lady at the ranch for a hunt a few weeks ago and after her deer was taken we went for Prairie dog fun.
I had picked up a case of Hornady superperformance .223 53gr v-max to try out so we broke into them.
Out of the first two boxes there were 3 that did not fire. Primers hit deep and solid. For what I paid that’s a bit crazy. We finished from there on with reloads.
There are plenty of other options and manufacturers I won’t buy Hornady again.

Osky

Since this posting I ran another series of rounds from the same Hornady boxes. More misfires. Looking a lot closer the strikes on the primers were there, but not as deep as I’d thought.
Closer look again and it dawned on me the primers were seated much deeper on the misfires. I do not know enough about the commercial processes as to whether the primers were actually forced too deep, or the pocket for the primer was made too large and deep.
That’s my conclusion on the troubled Hornady Superperformance rounds listed above. I’m back with Federal Premium ammo.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to the gunsmith at my local gunstore, this was also a problem about 20 years ago with .444 Marlin LeverRevolution ammo. The primer pockets were cut too deep and he was seeing a ton of rifles brought in for misfires, all with that same ammo. Remington ammo in the same rifles didn't misfire. This was a period when LA/MS first started to allow .38cal and larger single shots during Primitive Weapons season, so .444 sales were really blowing up and ammo demand was high.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I was formerly a fan, no more. Hunted in KS this year as host (no license for me), step son sat with me, had a shot at a young buck (he's never killed a buck), offered him my 308, pulls trigger, cartridge does not fire. Deer gone, too late to eject and shoot again. Primer had indent, did not fire. Rifle is a Defiance Tenacity, has never misfired before or after, ammo was Hornady 165 grain interlock, basic stuff. Son used same rifle and ammo to kill his deer next day. Hornady blamed rifle, not cartridge and did not request ammo to check.

I have almost a box full of Hornady 30'06 given to me when working as a Range Safety Officer by an irritated shooter whose rifle wouldn't fire. Every one has a dimple from the firing pin strike.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.