Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Y
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
Maybe the physically challenged should use two scanners then just go home after you see one. I take it not many use a Bogpod either.

I wouldn't use a bogpod if given to me. They are junk and not very stable. If you've ever used anything of quality you will agree.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Physically challenged or never used one. LOL So what would be better choice if you have to stand up on stand? Almost forgot, you can't scan 360 if you are sitting on the ground.

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 12/20/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure but when you scan with a rifle and a coyote shows up you already on it, vrs. the scramble of putting scanner down and then going to the rifle. And scanning with rifle on Bogpod not the big of a deal if you get out and hunt more than one night a month. If a guy can't rotate around 360 with a bogpod then a coyote probably heard, you walk in to begin with. LOL

Anyone that's truly spent significant time using the rifle to scan quickly figures out a way to somehow afford a handheld scanner to pair with a scope.
Not to mention that sweeping the entire countryside with a loaded rifle isn't exactly deemed safe handling of a firearm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Handheld waste of money bought a second thermal instead. Its plenty safe as long as you not hunting in town or in farmyard. LOL But hey you need a scanner then have at one. LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handheld waste of money bought a second thermal instead.

Nothing wrong with another scope but you can only use one at a time - unless you're using the second one as a scanner, then that's a good plan and you've got a backup scope to boot....That's what my hunting partner does.

I prefer LRF in both scanner and scope - the scanner gets used beyond just coyote hunting.

WWP53D
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hunt at least a few hours every night of furbearer season here. things I have learned:

1) scanners are great tools
2) scanning with your rifle is retarded, and I see no benefit to it instead of using a combination of a handheld scanning light and thermal scanner. my scanning light and thermal are on lanyards just like my caller remote, and its nothing to drop them to my side to get on the rifle or pick the slung shotgun off of the deathgrip as well as not having to deal with the unnecessary increased movement of swinging around a tripod.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
scanning with your rifle is retarded

I thought it - you took it a step further and put it in writing. laugh laugh

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
uum you still have to move if using a scanner and you can't scan 360 if you are sitting down. scanner held by hand which means less support when looking through it must really screw up your vision. LOL I may scan with extra scope before I walk into a stand, but I won't use one on stand, that's retarded if you do. You gain nothing by using both. Oh what's the I.D range on a scanner by the way 400 yards. LOL And if you not using a scanner with 384x 288 you not seeing [bleep]. And worse yet if you live in a hi humidity part of the country.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quote; deathgrip Unquote: I believe Yeahkkyle said those are junk! LOL

Also I been a member since 2006 so tell me something I don't know.

Y
Y
Physically challenged or never used one. LOL So what would be better choice if you have to stand up on stand? Almost forgot, you can't scan 360 if you are sitting on the ground.

I have 2 friends who have bogpods and they all agree they wish they would've spent a little extra for something better. Most immediately ditch the hog saddle for a decent ball head. I have panned with their guns but never shot off them. I run an Innorel RT90C with RRS leveling base, had a RRS Anvil-30 previously. About as solid as you are going to get without spending $800 for just a tripod. It makes a difference.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 384 whether its a scanner or scope. I use a 640 scanner and scope and have no problem identifying 400+.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
uum you still have to move if using a scanner and you can't scan 360 if you are sitting down. scanner held by hand which means less support when looking through it must really screw up your vision. LOL I may scan with extra scope before I walk into a stand, but I won't use one on stand, that's retarded if you do. You gain nothing by using both. Oh what's the I.D range on a scanner by the way 400 yards. LOL And if you not using a scanner with 384x 288 you not seeing [bleep]. And worse yet if you live in a hi humidity part of the country.

Movements with a handheld are much, much more minimal than swinging behind a rifle mounted on a tripod. using a scanner immediately before we start the call allows us to better tailor a calling strategy ( type, volume etc) to that particular stand. and who the fugg sits down on a stand at night? keep telling folks you don;t know [bleep] about night hunting without actually saying it.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I may scan with extra scope before I walk into a stand, but I won't use one on stand
Sooooo, you carry an extra scope just for grins?

Oh what's the I.D range on a scanner by the way 400 yards. LOL And if you not using a scanner with 384x 288 you not seeing [bleep].
400 yards? Laffin'....Not sure what equipment you're using but 400+ isn't a problem.

Tell us you're trolling without telling us you're trolling.

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Movements with a handheld are much, much more minimal than swinging behind a rifle mounted on a tripod. using a scanner immediately before we start the call allows us to better tailor a calling strategy ( type, volume etc) to that particular stand. and who the fugg sits down on a stand at night? keep telling folks you don;t know [bleep] about night hunting without actually saying it.
You kidding right? Lots of guys sit but they also have a area to do that, you need to get out more often and mingle with others. I use Bogpog guessed you missed that. LOL Tailor strategy? You kidding again right? If you been calling awhile, you should know what sounds work and what sounds don't and volume. LOL Full volume don't need any less volume, start stand with same sounds regardless if you have a coyote out in front hunting.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=TA 17 Rem]uum you still have to move if using a scanner and you can't scan 360 if you are sitting down. scanner held by hand which means less support when looking through it must really screw up your vision. LOL I may scan with extra scope before I walk into a stand, but I won't use one on stand, that's retarded if you do. You gain nothing by using both. Oh what's the I.D range on a scanner by the way 400 yards. LOL And if you not using a scanner with 384x 288 you not seeing [bleep]. And worse yet if you live in a hi humidity part of the country.

I may scan with extra scope before I walk into a stand, but I won't use one on stand
Sooooo, you carry an extra scope just for grins?

Oh what's the I.D range on a scanner by the way 400 yards. LOL And if you not using a scanner with 384x 288 you not seeing [bleep].
400 yards? Laffin'....Not sure what equipment you're using but 400+ isn't a problem. No I don't carry extra scope, I always bring two rifles along with thermal incase friend shows up or I get in a more open area. Well if positive I.D. range with a scanner more than 400 yards money would of been better spent on another thermal, just saying.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
this is why the government owns us and we have such little freedom. Jesus help us.

Thank The Lord for imr4064!
-I don't always run a hoe; but when I do I hit the pipe
Bergara sidekick .223 wylde
Bergara B14 ridge 6.5 creedmoor
Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
sorry to hear that. Last ten years we been gaining our freedoms back because we stick together as a whole. Night light laws passed, use of a suppresser passed, Use of thermal passed, use of electric callers passed, Had two wolf seasons. Don't have to have guns cased when traveling the countryside.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
sorry to hear that. Last ten years we been gaining our freedoms back because we stick together as a whole. Night light laws passed, use of a suppresser passed, Use of thermal passed, use of electric callers passed, Had two wolf seasons. Don't have to have guns cased when traveling the countryside.

You may have to double check your last sentence.
“…. or traveling to or from a site the person intends to hunt lawfully that day or has hunted lawfully that day”
And as you printed may not enter a town with a population of 2500 or more at anytime with a long gun that is not unloaded, cased entirely or unloaded and secured in the trunk. Exception being bringing it home unloaded after purchase.
That’s a far cry from carrying long guns openly in a vehicle at any time.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I live in town with less than 500 and I'm hunting soon as I back out of the driveway. too bad about big city folks or those that live next to a school.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I am not a dedicated coyote hunter. Rather a guy that has found that the woods come alive at night no matter what the temperature.

Thermal is a game changer.

My current set up is a Sig Cross in 308, Suppressed with a Nomad 30 Dead Air, Bering Optics Super Yoter.

For a couple years I used my Bering Optics Super Hogster as a scanner.

The SH has a 2.9 base mag. The SY has a 3.0 base Mag IIRC.

I've now lost several animals that I shot and were not recovered, and trying to identify/find an animal in thick brush with a 3x thermal optic is a non-starter.

I ended up buying the AGM Taipan 15-384 for the purpose of tracking up close. If I could have found a 1x Optic with a minimum of 384 resolution I would have got that instead.

It is amazing how much I employ that optic.

Most of my shots with thermal is between 30 and 160 yds, so the 1.5 base mag and distance to target suit me to a tee. I have good Leica 10 x 40 and 10 x 50 binocs. The thermal scanner has just about replaced those for spotting, even during the day. Nothing that has a body temperature above ambient hides. In fact the image just "Pops" out at ya.

I ended up leaving it at camp last Saturday evening. As most of my hunting is done from a stand, it became particularly noticeable how handicapped I was not being able to hold the scanner in my hand vs. wielding an 8+ lb. rifle in a 4' x 6' blind.

Here is a vid of the Taipan Thermal Scanner in use while using the Hot Tracking mode.

MY grandson was getting ready to be stationed in Antarctica for six months so we took him on a thermal hog hunt for his birthday

and the white object in the distant foreground......

IMHO, a thermal scanner and a thermal scope each having of a minimum resolution of 384 are the perfect combo for night hunting.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice hog right there.

I've started keeping my thermal scanner in my backpack, even on deer hunts as it certainly beats binoculars at early dawn and late dusk. I've watched several good bucks that were feeding just outside of the legal-shooting / naked-eye-visible window. Also handy for picking up deer in your lanes as you hike in before daylight or for scanning for bedded deer that you might not pick up with your naked eye / day optics.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,867
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.