Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So, didn't they reverse their position? What else are they supposed to do?
Really? They made several bad moves and gave lots of money to multiple bad actors, becoming bad actors themselves; they got caught and lied; they were presented with proof; they lied more; they were presented with proof in the form of tax reports; they backed off slowly.

They gave serious money to anti- 2A entities... they should not have been as stupid and two-faced as they were. It is hard to believe you can be that obtuse.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What can they do to change your mind about them?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably nothing. The damage is done and they have not gone to any effort to apologize. At SHOT right after the incidents they gave away tons of teeshirts with their stolen valor logo...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Folks, probably get a Colt Gold Cup and go from there!
S.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smallfry
Thanks Folks, probably get a Colt Gold Cup and go from there!
S.
My apologies for the sidetrack!

I have a little more than a handful of 1911s... my third and fourth were Les Baers... but frankly I would work the other end first given a chance for a do-over.

Do not get me wrong, my Les Baers are incredible and I do not regret buying them. However, I mostly started at the top and went down. That is almost always a bad plan. I got the accuracy guarantee on my first...

Wish I had started shooting them a bunch and worked up. Learning comes faster moving up IME.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recommend this model.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/colt-combat-elite-1911-government-commander-defender/389142#:~:text=Among%20those%20options%20is%20the,tested%20examples%20in%20every%20size.

Last edited by Sweets; 01/09/24.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sweets
I recommend this model.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/colt-combat-elite-1911-government-commander-defender/389142#:~:text=Among%20those%20options%20is%20the,tested%20examples%20in%20every%20size.
He said it had to have adjustable sights.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recommend this model.

It does

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I recommend this model.

It does

Unless you consider adjusting with a drift punch - I'm not seeing adjustables on these.

Colt's Website

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I handled one a few months back - no adjustable sights (I am not a fan, wouldn't bother picking one up if it had them as it's a no-go for me on purchase)

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Aahhh, yes I was thinking that. Thanks for the correction. Lotta colt for the money, and mine is silly point and shoot accurate. Never needed to adjust anything sightwise. I did have a short trigger and new recoil spring installed, but that was for preference. To the OP, good luck in your next 1911.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Tisas. Pick the model that has the features you like. Nothing better on the market for the value. And I have owned S&W, Kimber, Les, Colt, and Wilson’s
About $950.00 for this one (Tisas 1911 Match 45), that more than fits the OP's bill. And includes front strap checkering, and other nice features not on the Gold Cup, such as mag well extension, beavertail grip safety, and extended and ambi thumb safety.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

That's the one I was talking about in my earlier post, and they are pretty good pistols, no MIM parts (if that matters to you), and they are pretty nice. I have a two-tone pistol very similar, in 10mm (the D-10), with the same sights and checkered frontstrap. It's really comfortable to shoot, and shoots fairly well, at that. I haven't shot it much yet (just got it three weeks ago), but it's a nice pistol.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
One feature I am not wild about for a carry gun, is the trigger on a “Gold Cup” is almost as wide as the trigger guard. Fully capable of being inadvertently activated by a tight holster. Would require a “stacking” of mistakes to shoot your leg but still not a feature I’d prefer unless just a “range bench, target pistol”.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Aahhh, yes I was thinking that. Thanks for the correction. Lotta colt for the money, and mine is silly point and shoot accurate. Never needed to adjust anything sightwise. I did have a short trigger and new recoil spring installed, but that was for preference. To the OP, good luck in your next 1911.
People who require adjustable sights are anticipating shooting at wildly different ranges, with all sorts of different loads and bullet weights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as Les Baer is concerned, here's what Bullseye competitors have to say. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t17602-les-baer-custom-beware?highlight=les+baer

Some of the posters in that thread are some of the top shooters and top 1911 gunsmiths in the country. I would listen to them.
Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Baer gets a lot of love here & I really don't know why.

As for him for building a BE gun, (softball) he doesn't, not really......................maybe called that, but it's not.

To even think about running 3.2 gr of Bullseye with 185 gr bullets with an 18# spring, even with a light slide, is laughable.

That's a common loading for the two stages at the 25 yard line.

18# is a hardball spring, & not even needed for that as a 16.5 # is "standard ". Might be OK for the NM course which is hardball...........

YMMV

MM

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by smallfry
So I’ve owned 1911s in the past d got rid of them. Time to get another. I need it to be stainless, reliable with flat points have adj sights and accurate. Price doesn’t matter much but would like it rather stock. How’s those gold cups?
S.

Dont know what your level of interest is, but maybe get Kunhausen book or equivalent - study it, buy parts from Brownells or whatever have some fun with it. I have an old 9 major colt built by Clark with over 200000 rds, through it, during my IPSC time. Start with a Tisa and go from the bottom. Before Beavertails, there was a curved upward "tail" still on some of the basic models. These were moulded in and smoothed out using the original frame as part of the new beavertail. Try it. doesn't stick out like the ones today.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gibby
The Colt Gold Cup is legit. Can't go wrong with it. Being a Colt, it will hold it's value better than any other brand. It will out shoot you.

Stop selling your guns!!!

Gibby

This: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since you like to sell your guns, I'll tell a True Story. I bought my Gold Cup National Match Series 70 for a lot less than $1,000 in the 80s. It's worth well over $2,000 today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 80's era Gold Cup had nearly as many issues as my 90's era Kimber. Those were the two worst handguns I have ever owned.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What were the issues?

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
So, didn't they reverse their position? What else are they supposed to do?
Really? They made several bad moves and gave lots of money to multiple bad actors, becoming bad actors themselves; they got caught and lied; they were presented with proof; they lied more; they were presented with proof in the form of tax reports; they backed off slowly.

They gave serious money to anti- 2A entities... they should not have been as stupid and two-faced as they were. It is hard to believe you can be that obtuse.

So where do you stand on Smith and Wesson?
Company?
Owning old guns?
Slandering Glock Era?
Ripping off Glock Era?
Clinton Era?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,944
Posts18,498,934
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.