Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The family and I are spending a few days in Salt Lake City visiting the oldest daughter. Other than skiing that I and the wife won’t be participating in, already knees are shot, what are some things the wife and I can do while the kids go skiing? Sights to see, places to visit, restaurants to try and general things to do?
Thanks for any advice

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rent a car and head north on I-15. When you get far enough north, look at SLC in your rear view mirror. That will be one of the most beautiful sights you'll ever see.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously, though...if it's not too cold for shooting, take a little drive out to the Lee Kay shooting range facilities. Top drawer stuff...at least it was back in the early 90s.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take several hours at the Pioneer Memorial Museum. Whether you like Mormons or not it is very interesting.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
other than mormon couples wanting to engage in threesomes I cant think of a single reason to go there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven’t been, but the John Browning museum always gets great reviews. Just north of SLC. I’m in Logan right now for work watching it snow like crazy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UltraMAGA
other than mormon couples wanting to engage in threesomes I cant think of a single reason to go there.
I thought Mormons were not swingers these days

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hastings

Your thinking Quakers , Mormons are just as filthy and hypocritical as all the other religions including Islam.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Maybe visiting his daughter...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Your thinking Quakers , Mormons are just as filthy and hypocritical as all the other religions including Islam.
I lived in northern Utah for five years in the 60s as a non Mormon teenager. The Mormons I went to school with had parents for the most part were rather staid types. All wrapped up in LDS stuff. The country kids all milked cows to save up for their mission. First question was always "what ward do you live in". Had folks going around collecting fast offerings and home town missionaries visiting us recruiting. After 5 cold winters there my daddy was ready to head back to Louisiana.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I haven’t been, but the John Browning museum always gets great reviews. Just north of SLC. I’m in Logan right now for work watching it snow like crazy.
We just pulled into a parking lot in West Jordan and a winter warning advisory hit. Snowing sideways. We are 30 min from the house. Fun, fun. Georgia boy driving in the snow.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I lived in northern Utah for five years in the 60s as a non Mormon teenager. The Mormons I went to school with had parents for the most part were rather staid types. All wrapped up in LDS stuff. The country kids all milked cows to save up for their mission. First question was always "what ward do you live in". Had folks going around collecting fast offerings and home town missionaries visiting us recruiting. After 5 cold winters there my daddy was ready to head back to Louisiana.

Everyday I spent in LA was a blessing.
Abita beer, Beignets, Crawdads and Crabs and Oysters, The Boiling Point just west was my favorite.
I pissed on the sign out in front of Jimmy Swaggs College just across the street from the Beignet place.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Smith & Edward's in north Ogden

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Gallenson's in Salt Lake is a cool firearms store, roughly 2nd South and 2nd East.

I live between SLC and Ogden, and actually don't get down to SLC very often. But in Ogden we have the old railway station which also houses the Browning Museum plus a nice car collection.

Just off I-15 in Ogden we have the Air Force museum, which is worth a stop. Lots of different planes to see, mostly indoors.

Antelope Island is easily accessible from Layton. Just get off I-15 onto Antelope Drive, and head west. It does cost a few bucks to get in, but you can often see bision and pronghorn. It's kind of bleak this time of year, but interesting.

Hope some of that helps.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear the polygamy is nice this time of year in SLC.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
browning museum, scheels outdoor store, Bohemian brewery for the food, Red Iguana (" home of killer mexican food"). drive out to Bingham Canyon and see the pit. Wendover to gamble (nevada state line) bonneville salt flats ( land speed record).

Last edited by Sycamore; 01/09/24.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Taggart’s, outside of Morgan. The food is phenomenal.

https://taggartsgrill.com/

Last edited by Reloder28; 01/10/24.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
+1 on Taggarts!

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i used to hit the Westerner club for some good morman girls and dancing

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Check your PMs

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Was there last October for a wedding and while I didn’t have a lot of free time there were a couple of things we got to. Olympic Village, The Great Salt Lake and Park City were nice diversions. Obviously different weather conditions for you. I wished I had more time to get down to Moab to rent a Jeep to hit the trails. Will probably be there sometime in the next year so hopefully have some more opportunities to see the sights. Have fun, Dave

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Speaking of polygamy, Wasatch brewery has a nice polygamy porter if you’re into that kind of thing.

Some free things to do: Wheeler Historic Farm, Temple square i think - they’re doing construction there, the state capitol and governer’s mansion are open to the public. Cabelas is to the south about 30 minutes in Lehi. It’s one of their larger stores built pre BP shop. They’ve some nice mounts there.

The Browning Firearms Museum in Morgan, UT is a good visit as someone already mentioned- it’s an hour drive north, but given the weather and if you’re from Georgia, stay put til the roads are clear! Others mentioned some nice places.

If you are downtown, there’s a nice German deli, Sigfried’s, across from the Gallenson’s gun shop. Both are on 200 South. Park just west of the deli and they’ll validate your parking. $9 for lunch and it’s pretty authentic. Trolley Square is not far from there and is interesting. Shopping there is not bad for the lady folks. Also where the pos Muslim terrorist attacked about 15 years ago. Rosezio Grill has a nice lunch and dinner at abt $25/35 per person.

The natural history museum is at the U of U campus. It may be free or pretty close to it. You’re not going to get to the Cooper mine this time of year. The Olympic Sports Park in Park City. The city itsself is kinda fun, even if you don’t ski. The UT Jazz NBA team is playing tomorrow night and isn’t too expensive. The Clark Planeterium is neat for kids and you also get the benefit of seeing the SLC Mayor’s pets - the homeless population who sometimes reside in the area.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great tips. So far all the homeless we’ve encountered have been pretty tame compared to Atlanta’s. Lol. I was informed we are going to some hot springs tomorrow. Weather permitting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The scheels in south salt lake is pretty nice.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 348winchester
The family and I are spending a few days in Salt Lake City visiting the oldest daughter. Other than skiing that I and the wife won’t be participating in, already knees are shot, what are some things the wife and I can do while the kids go skiing? Sights to see, places to visit, restaurants to try and general things to do?
Thanks for any advice
A few miles North to Ogden will take you to Hill Air Base with its excellent air museum. And also the JM Browning museum is in Ogden. I have not seen the Browning museum yet. But a couple years ago, I shared the experience of the Hill Aerospace Museum with Rocky Raab. That was a great experience.

30 years ago, while I was working in Ogden for a week, my wife found several venues to entertain the two kids, including the Ogden Dinosaur Park. https://www.dinosaurpark.org/

My wife and I spent one day at the SLC Zoo with the two elementary school children. That was well worth the day, and took all day to get through it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pick yourself up a pair of those 'magic underwear'.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
348, if you head to Ogden for the Browning and Hill museums, I'd be delighted to serve as your tour guide. Weather and driving will be iffy this week, but I'm free. PM if interested.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you're a racing fan, the Garage Grills in Herriman or Draper would be fun for lunch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear they have a pretty good Rino exhibit somewhere nearby...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/10/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another recommendation for Taggert's. And the Browning museum is a must.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent hiking just outside the city in pretty much any direction.

If you'd rather go motorized, Thousand Peaks has 50,000 acres or so leased for snowmobile trips up above Park City. Great views at the tops and the snow is pretty good up there right now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Bean Life Sciences Museum at BYU is a worthwhile trip. Dude hunted a whole lot of stuff.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I remember flying through SLC back in the early 2000's, when the Olympics were being held there.

In the airport, there were posters everywhere for the Olympics, with the Olympic rings logo. On one poster, someone had taken a marker and turned 4 of the rings into the female symbol (circle above a cross) and the fifth was made into the masculine symbol (circle with arrow pointing diagonally upward).

I thought it was a brilliant piece of graffiti.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hruska's Kolaches

https://www.hruskaskolaches.com/

Never been there, but I will the next time I'm in SLC. Great reviews.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hill AFB museum

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hill AFB Museum, Browning Museum which also has a few old locomotives and then dinner at Ruby River, 4286 Riverdale Rd, Ogden, UT. In addition to the recommendations previously made,most of which I visited, here are a few others. Promontory Point where the continental Railroads met. Gold Spike story. In south SLC is an aquarium that is good, as is the bird sanctuary in downtown SLC. Ruth's Diner in Immigration Canyon is a local, earthy eatery. Downtown is a Thai restaurant, Sawadee on South Temple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many years ago I took a guided tour of Temple Sq. Was interesting. At the end they handed out cards to fill out if you wanted to hear more about the LDS church.

Best part was I was able to remember my buddy's address and phone number.

Carpe' Scrotum
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

It's not the 1960s.

Mormon girls like to party. SLC is one of the hidden gems of the modern dating scene.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Maddox in Brigham City

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
348Winchester: The "Benihana's" restaurant there in Salt Lake City is especially good.
Drive careful - traffic can be a bitch there in the daytime/afternoons.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJ65
Maddox in Brigham City
Done. Excellent food. Super service. We left with enough left overs to feed half the homeless in SLC. Prime rib with potatoe, green beans, salad, drink and coconut cake $19.99

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.