Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all,

I remember perhaps quite a while back reading on the boards here about a test that measured the extracting power of different extractors. Maybe a 700 type system vs a Mauser type system?

Would anyone happen to know who did this and what the results were?

Sounds like something MD and his friends might get up to grin

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a job for someone that finds that fascinating, you for instance or some YouTuber looking for grist for his mill.

I’m dozing off just thinking about it…..

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think I know which system would finish in a very distant second place! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I remember that head to head test. The Remington extract will pull thru the rim while the Mauser will jump the rim.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CullingTime
I remember that head to head test. The Remington extract will pull thru the rim while the Mauser will jump the rim.

That's the one!!

Do you happen to remember who did it?

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So? In either case your rifle is out of play for a while.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah I hate finding stuff out too. Why am I asking. Damn knowing things.

For sure either way the rifle is out of action, but its interesting to know where the limits of each system are and how much they can take. I find anyway.

And the results may just be surprising and challenge conventional wisdom/dogma. Even better lol.

Last edited by Igloo; 01/09/24.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Igloo

That's the one!!

That's the one!!

Pretty sure I read about it in Book of the Rifle. Carmichel

Might have been in one of his other books, but he definitely told of it.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
It was in one of Jim’s books

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, I'll have to score that one.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For sure either way the rifle is out of action, but its interesting to know where the limits of each system are and how much they can take. I find anyway.

And the results may just be surprising and challenge conventional wisdom/dogma. Even better lol.

It's very dependant on the individual rifle and the adjustment of each extractor.

The Remington is very dependant on proper installation and adjustment.

When right it will rip through the rim before slipping over, when sloppy it will let go way to early.

Most custom actions today use a variation of the M-16/Sako extractor for great performance with out needing skilled fine tuning.

Tuning extractors is a lot of science and a bit of black magic.

In theroy the extractor needs to be just short of enough tension to damage the brass rim on the trip over the rim during feeding. That's going to offer the most grab on extration. Set up this way the extractor will rip through the rim before jumping over.

Controlled round feed in a proper rifle will still allow the extractor to go over the rim if you drop a cartridge in the chamber.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
“Proper” depends on what the user wants. Originally, 98s were designed to be charged with clips, and the beefy extractor wouldn’t go over the rim of a hand-fed case. It became fashionable to alter the extractor to allow for that, but it weakens the system a bit. I have some that will go over the rim, and others that won’t, and have learned to press a cartridge into the magazine when single-loading on all of them to avoid problems.

In a pinch, if the shooter forgets to push a round down before closing the bolt, some rifles will let you push on the extractor behind the collar as you close it and it will snap over the rim. If it doesn’t, it’s time for a cleaning rod from the muzzle.

What fresh Hell is this?
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

It's very dependant on the individual rifle and the adjustment of each extractor.

The Remington is very dependant on proper installation and adjustment.

When right it will rip through the rim before slipping over, when sloppy it will let go way to early.

Most custom actions today use a variation of the M-16/Sako extractor for great performance with out needing skilled fine tuning.

Tuning extractors is a lot of science and a bit of black magic.

In theroy the extractor needs to be just short of enough tension to damage the brass rim on the trip over the rim during feeding. That's going to offer the most grab on extration. Set up this way the extractor will rip through the rim before jumping over.

Controlled round feed in a proper rifle will still allow the extractor to go over the rim if you drop a cartridge in the chamber.

Thanks for the details JB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.