Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Can game meat and trophies be imported into the US from Newfoundland ? Looking into a moose/ bear hunt there.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Short answer is yes. I haven’t done it, but a buddy shot a moose and caribou there this fall. He has the meat already, not sure where he had the mounts done but he’s getting them euro’d.

MAGA
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes, I was just up there in September and came home with a moose and caribou in coolers. Just declare it at the border and no problems. They also have a shipper that will ship to certain cities in the US. Also talk to your outfitter.

https://www.facebook.com/newfoundlandbiggameshipping/

About Newfoundland Big Game Shipping
The following is the list of destinations that we will be shipping to in the fall of 2023 and subsequent pricing for said year; but it is prudent that hunters should check this website in August, during which month things are usually finalized:

Allentown, Pennsylvania (PA)
Bartow, Florida (FL)
Cartersville, Georgia (GA)
Columbus, Ohio (OH)
Detroit, Michigan (MI)
Eagan, Minnesota (MIN) (Antlers MUST BE boxed)
Earth City, Missouri (MO)
Fall River, Massachusetts (MA)
Tulsa, Oklahoma (OK)
Wilson, North Carolina (NC)
St. David, Ont (CA)

Pricing: US Hunters

First Box $215 US tax incl
Add’l Boxes $135 US tax incl
Antlers with Boxes $100 US tax incl
Antlers w/o Boxes $145 US tax incl

Pricing: CA Hunters

First Box $215 CA +15% tax
Add’l Boxes $135 CA +15% tax
Antlers with Boxes $100 CA +15% tax
Antlers w/o Boxes $145 CA +15% tax

Please note that shipping bear to the US requires an Additional fee of $125 per hunter. This is a Wildlife fee that we are now required to pay since 2021 for a truck with bear to cross the border.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have driven back from Canada with meat and antlers quite a few times, Newfoundland, new Brunswick and Ontario.

This last year I went to Newfoundland, shot a caribou and had the meat shipped back, it was arranged through Newfoundlandbiggameshipping by my butcher countryside abittiour It worked well but was pretty slow, they didn't deliver until Mid December. I would have driven the meat back but I had a moose hunt immediately following in Ontario and didn't have any where to store the Caribou meat while hunting in Ontario, so I had it shipped.

Usually I just bring meat back in coolers and the antlers/skull plate when we drive. I read that some folks have trouble crossing with skulls/skull plates but I have done 3 moose and a caribou since Covid restrictions ended and not one time did anyone at the border look at the skull plates or meat. I just do into the customs station and fill out some paperwork and they let me through.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As others have said, yes. I brought 2 moose back with me in 2021. Just declare the meat at the border. No problems.

Last edited by Teeder; 01/10/24.
IC B2

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cant answer for Newfoundland but I have brought bear meat back from BC with no issues

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
We'll be flying from Texas so I'm guessing the cheapest way would be to have the meat processed there and shipped home.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Take meat home with you on plane

I have done this on EVERY out of state hunt.

Our Newfoundland hunt we drove up with a homemade cooler in the pickup bed. Brought 3 moose and a caribou back.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Lslite
We'll be flying from Texas so I'm guessing the cheapest way would be to have the meat processed there and shipped home.

Figure on 4-5 boxes per moose

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We got every other year with 12-20 guys. We pack about 10 chest freezers on a flatbed trailer. Camp has electricity and we plug in and fill as we get the meat back from the butcher. Trip home we run a generator and alternate which freezers are plugged in each fuel stop. Never had a problem.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Been 3 times as recent as 10/23. The outfitter handles the paperwork. We never had a problem taking 4 moose back last year, 2 of which were my son and his bud who flew home. Our outfitter had the proper paperwork for us and not a problem at the border.
That being said i asked the U.S customs officer for feedback on the paperwork as requested by the outfitters person who handles it and he was appreciative it was done correctly. I thanked him and notified Michelle and thanked her.
Two different outfitters over the last 3 hunts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I went to NF the airline charged $100 each for a 70lb cooler to ship. I brought back 3 coolers with 210 lb of boneless meat.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.