Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
GWPGUY, we are NOT allowed silencers in Canada. And many other things!!! I don't live at the farm anymore so only have 100yd range now along with one neighbor. There ok with the shooting now & again but have a new baby. So, was trying to think of away to make things even quieter. I've already moved one shooting bench away & under a lean to for the 22rimfire at 50yds but would like to construct a large (silencer) to shoot through, sauna tube, car tires, plastic culvert just for the rimfires but would need one for quieting a 223 as the bench for the 100yds is right up against our lot line. Not shooting any large caliber anymore. Any ideas??? Much appreciated gentlemen. THANKS. GWPGUY. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's been done. There was discussion in an older Gun Digest if I recall correctly - may have been Handloaders Digest or maybe both. Maybe somebody with back issues or CD version of Gun Digest -or Handloaders Digest - will chime in. My copies are in storage. Unexpected issues including keeping it clean and the fire hazard from unburned powder. Much like a prone firing line for rimfire shooters lead from primers can accumulate for a health hazard. Also can be and is banned as a silencer in some jurisdictions despite differences in attachment and form.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 01/11/24. Reason: add reference to Handloaders Digest
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like the tire idea but how about shooting through an insulated box maybe. Insulating the tires? Kinda along the same lines. Some extra safety precautions would have to be exercised of course.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM DigitalDan, he put one together a few years back.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Consider loading subsonic for the .223. No matter what you do on the shooting position end, a supersonic round will have a sonic boom crack to it. Hodgdon has data. If you don’t reload, $100 will get you started with a Lee Loader, scale, etc.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is much discussion on the internet. Mostly using tires with different foam and fillers for more noise reduction. I don't remember it but the internet says Ken Waters built a range silencer and wrote about it for Wolfe. I'd talk to an attorney in the local jurisdiction before I put money into getting around the law. Here is a bit from the internet.

There used to be plans for this exact thing in Shooting Times magazine and it was called a gun muffler. I have a set of the plans and they are copyrighted by Rick Jamison, 1993. He used barrels welded together and packed with tires. The tires were filled with metal machining chips (curly q's) and held in place by a coarse mesh. The chips were used as they were non-flammable. There was a hole in the bottom so you could wash out the unburnt powder that collected inside. I never did build it because there was a lot of discussion about whether or not it was legal in my state (Kansas). I had collected some barrels that had the tops held on with clamps and figured I could clamp the barrels together and still get them apart for cleaning if it became necessary. ARFCom

frank505
04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I made the box from the article in Handloader Digest. the "plans" were wrong so we improvised. It did work well, turned a rifle shot into a high pitched crack that was not very loud and did not carry far. The range was across the creek and 80 acres from the houses and barns, but was almost unnoticable when you were working. It ends up being very heavy and full of wasps unless you make doors for both ends. My range was anything up to 300 yards, just pull the bench with a four wheeler to where you wanted to shoot from. The sound box was built on skids also but it is rotting away since we sold the place. I think the tires in ascending and then descending sizes would do the same thing and much easier and cheaper to build. The idea of holes in the bottom is a great one, tires on fire are hard to put out!!!! It is ok to shoot from the bench for load testing but better yet build some loads and shoot away from the damn bench. I have yet to see a bench in the hills of Wyo when hunting.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Straw bales really soak up the noise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4'x15" square, 1/4" ply exterior w/foam insulation. Loudest sound with a 10/22 shooting SV ammo is the action cycle. Muzzle inserted past the first baffle. The shooter will hear a notable pop when they shoot, but those standing to the side hear little other than the action. With single shots or bolt guns it is very quiet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Target holder and deflector. 1/4" AR400 steel plate, 45* angle, bucket filled with concrete scrap. Holds target backers 18"x18"

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I shoot in a residential neighborhood and nobody hears what is going on. The set up is functional for any subsonic ammo. The "silencer's" serial number is BR549.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Holly cow guys thanks. Real good ideas, will wait till spring when it warms up! Digital Dan, if your back here later was wondering how far the spacers were apart? Didn't think it would be critical but just curious. Thanks again guys, sort of had the idea in my head but didn't want to go to the trouble of building it and it not working. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First two have a 6" spacing and somewhere around 9-10" for the next 3. The last spacer/baffle is about 6" from the end.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For whatever it may be worth, one of my friends brought over a .45 cal air rifle and well, I figured it was an air rifle, so blaze away. Turns out it was launching 300 grain lead bullets at ~1,300 fps (Air Force Texan). The neighbors heard that! grin My backstop was not impressed.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GWPGUY;
Good morning to you sir, I hope you're warm, well and dry if you're getting winter the likes of what we're getting.

In addition to what DigitalDan has shown us - and it's very, very cool thanks much - I'll add a couple observations.

At the range I'm a member of, we installed berms which bounce the sound up more than it used to. I'd think and it's an I think, not an I know by any stretch - but I'd think that any sort of barrier or trough for the first 25yds would be somewhat helpful.

The rifle range benches are set up so the muzzle is into a box which is bench width, has a front that is bench height and then there's two layers of carpet hanging down on top. The carpet is low enough that it's a pain for anyone taller than me to set up a spotting scope standing and see the target butts.

The front and bottom are lined with carpet too, again as a guess I'd think that the surface and texture of it help dampen echo and break up sound waves somewhat?

If GRF sees this, the range in the very middle of the city of Lethbridge has huge beams on top of the range too, surely for safety so one cannot launch a bullet into the subdivisions beyond, but I'm guessing again they break up the sound waves somewhat?

Sound it a funny thing and after attempting to become at least competent at game calling, I can say that sound travels downhill better than uphill, all things being equal.

Also it doesn't take much wind at all to blow sound all over the place.

Hope that all made some sense and was useful.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!!! Cool ideas & can't wait for spring now. BC 30cal, ya were getting a good storm here in ont. rt now. Nothing as bad as my buddy is getting in Manitoba right now. Actually I remember real storms & real winters, 1950s 1960s looong time ago. Now a days it just snows a bit & they cancel the school busses. Had to walk a mile to catch my bus!!! No not up hill both ways & in bear feet. Thanks again everyone for all the info, much appreciated. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‘πŸ»

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dwayne; based solely on my observations prior and post renovation (anecdote sample of 1) the baffles at the range in Lethbridge do seem to reduce the sound or at least the distance to sound travels.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I remember a gun writer years ago published plans for a range silencer. It involved three 55 gallon drums welded back to back, making, in effect a 12 foot long suppressor. Ends cut out to accommodate the bullet. Something used as filler inside to diffuse the sound. Jamison maybe?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/55_gallon_drum_suppressor_for_range_use_/20-366753/

I was right. Jamison was the writer. This thread references his suppressor. However it was two drums, not three as I stated.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?2839-55-Gallon-Drum-Silencer

Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how to make your own.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/12/24.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Development of a Muffler for Small Arms Range Noise Mitigation"

https://rangeservices.nra.org/media...or-small-arms-range-noise-mitigation.pdf

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
4'x15" square, 1/4" ply exterior w/foam insulation. Loudest sound with a 10/22 shooting SV ammo is the action cycle. Muzzle inserted past the first baffle. The shooter will hear a notable pop when they shoot, but those standing to the side hear little other than the action. With single shots or bolt guns it is very quiet.

Target holder and deflector. 1/4" AR400 steel plate, 45* angle, bucket filled with concrete scrap. Holds target backers 18"x18"

How long did it take you to get your Form 1 approved from the ATF?πŸ˜‚

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never happened, they're too busy ROTFL.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.