Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
This was on the news today. He uses drones for game recovery and could get a hefty fine & 3 months in jail.
https://www.wnep.com/article/news/l...521-001ae710-0f20-488e-88b2-baca39e45f36

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hunters are killing deer with drones ?? That's a bunch of bullzs-hit

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
God forbid some hunter does something ethical in an effort to not waste game....

And they wonder why there are poachers.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Just where in any of the above was it said that they were killing deer with drones? Reading and processing before you comment, try it out sometime.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I assumed Mike was being sarcastic.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Seems like a sensible way to recover injured deer. They can run a long way with a .30 hole in the lungs.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Just where in any of the above was it said that they were killing deer with drones? Reading and processing before you comment, try it out sometime.

In fairness, his version is much more interesting haha

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Claim under law is one cannot use drones to hunt or track deer. This sounded like a recovery effort. I would fight this one. Moreover, it stated in the article wardens are interpreting law which is not their job.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracking dogs aren’t legal either.

This state frequently puts you in the position of being illegal while you do the right thing.

Couple months ago,

I seen be a Possum Cop I would have been fined for,
Shooting from a road
Hunting out of season
Using a gun not legal for the game
Etc, Etc.

Because I put down a car hit doe.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Game laws once you get above the Mason Dixson line are plain stupid. I marvel at the stupidity while reading game laws in Illinois. Its not about sound game management, its about how much inconvenient we can place on sportsman while stealing as much money as we can get.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tracking dogs aren’t legal either.

Actually tracking dogs are legal now in Pa, took a while to get it done but you can use them now. Only on a leash I think.

You guys have to remember this is Pa, this doesn't surprise me a bit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Seems like a sensible way to recover injured deer. They can run a long way with a .30 hole in the lungs.

I agree with that but if you're a game warden in the field, how do you distinguish between a guy using a drone to recover a possibly wounded animal, and a guy just looking for deer to kill?

Guaranteed, if it's legal to use for wounded deer some will stretch it and use it to find deer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got guns mounted on the drone??

#pew-pew

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The question is when does the hunting end and the recovery begin. I think most states would define that line as when you tag it. As long as the tag's in your pocket, you're hunting. In Idaho, you can't use motor vehicles to hunt but you can to recover. A drone is defined as an aircraft and they can't be used to hunt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I agree with that but if you're a game warden in the field, how do you distinguish between a guy using a drone to recover a possibly wounded animal, and a guy just looking for deer to kill?

Guaranteed, if it's legal to use for wounded deer some will stretch it and use it to find deer.

This can easily lead to someone being arrested or fined because they might commit a crime or had the ability to commit a crime. A slippery slope but in my experience, one law enforcement would like to pursue. In a lot of minor incidences law enforcement over-exerts their authority.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Can't use them in AK either. Or helicopters.

There are always those who will test it for perceived loopholes tho, and sometimes they win.

Helicopters are illegal to use in any aspect of hunting, but some years ago a sheep guide used one to fly into a ridge-top and clear it of rocks sufficiently to land a Supercub there.

Got away with it, as who is to say what the strip is for- and it is usable by anyone.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
God forbid some hunter does something ethical in an effort to not waste game....

^^^^^^^^^^^

To me it’s negligent to not do everything to recover a deer.

Caveat yes there is a risk of abuse but I don’t think restricting law abiding citizens because of what some MIGHT do is a valid argument.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^^^^^^

To me it’s negligent to not do everything to recover a deer.

Caveat yes there is a risk of abuse but I don’t think restricting law abiding citizens because of what some MIGHT do is a valid argument.
Would you say that's like restricting everyone's guns because of what a few misfits MIGHT do? It's what liberals do.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mmm recovery? I can see in season scouting via drone being an issue, but don't game wardens scout for hunters with drones?
Or am I thinking of them putting up game cams on private property?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bet is that this guy will not be punished in the end, and the reg will get redefined in some sensible way. All in all, incidents like this usually occur in those jurisdictions where the G&F officers see their primary role as LEOs with too much authority to abuse (satisfaction to compensate for weak self-respect). In too may places they know, or exercise, very little knowledge and care about game management and service to those who pay their salaries. What % of people in this society are wannabee cops?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,684
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.