Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Either that or BFI powder were the go to for cuts and scraps when I was a kid.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What was BFI powder, never heard of that one. I like Bactine and the clear iodine, no orange stain.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still use it, still believe in it.

It’s difficult to get, about 10 years ago my wife found an internet source….. it required buying a case/package of 6. Still have some but getting low, we may be internet shopping once again! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
jc189,

You are the first person I’ve known of to experience the throat painting, as old Doc Colvin, used to call it.

No other docs here did it.

Was your Doc a WWii vet by chance?

Colvin was a Navy Doc.

Mathman,
Mom made fun of Bactine.

Tried to find some Bactine in the closet, don’t have any.

Dumped alcohol on it, by the third time it was dried up enough it didn’t sting. Too bad!😏

At work now, dried up no band aid. Good to go.
Old guy I knew here used a cotton ball impaled on a fork for the throat swabbing. I know people who still lament his passing when they get a sore throat.

When I was a kid, we had an “atomizer” bottle, I think that’s what it was called. When any of us had a sore throat, my Dad would put Merthiolate in it and spray our throats with it. And before some of you smart asses make a comment……inside the mouth, not on the outside of your neck!

We didn’t enjoy the application at all, but it darn sure helped relieve a sore throat! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Bactine? Ha! It couldn’t be any good….it didn’t burn enough to be effective 🔥

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Just get a tetanus shot ever decade or so and wash your hands before supper.

City boys......

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad would paint our throats with merthiolate. It worked for sure.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
As noted above, all of the stuff that actually works, gets banned. There is no profit in a 1 oz bottle of effective treatment that lasts a lifetime. Big Pharma wants recurring revenue.

The cynical statement above would be funny, if not true...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Neosporine + pain! Fug that fiery stuff.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The stuff on Amazon is the same name but not at all the original ingredients. Contains acetone, alchohol, red #22, purified water, and the active ingredient is benzalkonium chloride. Probably burns like hell fire to remind you of the old stuff, but it's not.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In college the school nurse and the pharmaceutical factory nurse would swab our throats and knock out sore throats, strep and the like. We were too poor to get sick. Had to keep working to pay bills. Didn’t have student debt either. Was a zombie for a few years but made it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just go to your feed store and get 7% strong iodine.

It’ll get your attention.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
What was BFI powder, never heard of that one. I like Bactine and the clear iodine, no orange stain.

Mom would just dump that stuff on until we quit bleeding and send us back outside. Wish I had a few bottles now, the add this pic came from on ebay is asking $350 for it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by centershot; 01/11/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If we ran out of merthiolate, mom just grabbed the rubbing alcohol. Not sure if her motive was disinfecting or teaching me a lesson to be more careful.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Young guy here but still remember it , Granny used to keep some in medicine cabinet. What about Gentain Violet? or something like that , used more for fungal stuff - athletes foot and jock itch. would burn like fire and stain your skin purple. But man that stuff worked too... Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Does anyone remember Niter and Paragoric? When I was growing up in the 50s they were a staple in our house to cure all types of ailments. I think they went the way of mercurochrome and methiolate also.

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rcbergs
Does anyone remember Niter and Paragoric? When I was growing up in the 50s they were a staple in our house to cure all types of ailments. I think they went the way of mercurochrome and methiolate also.

I certainly remember taking Paragoric as a kid! memtb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Merthiolate, mercurochrome and were staples in my misspent youth thanks to Grandpa’s doctoring. I remember my grandpa having hands like bear paws the arm muscles of Popeye and he ALWAYS had Merthiolate on some injury or another. If grandpa used it then you can be DAMN sure I used it. 😀

I miss the good old days…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That schit stang and stunk at the same time

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Frank Glaser bought a glass vial of iodine corked for his first aid kit at his Savage River cabin. The cork dried out over the years and allowed the water and alcohol in the iodine to evaporate which condensed the iodine into a very very strong and potent iodine which, according to Frank, had the “consistency of molasses”. Frank was working on a moose hide that he had in a bucket soaking while the mosquitoes drove him crazy. He, without thinking, scratched at a bite with his dirty hands and accidentally scratched himself and drew a little blood. That mosquito bite and “moose hand” scratch got infected and swelled up something fierce. Frank was really sick and he knew that he was going to die without intervention so he decided to take his knife and “open his neck” to reduce the swelling. Frank said it “hurt like hell” but then he took the vial of condensed iodine and poured a little into his wound. He could immediately taste the iodine and then the room started spinning and he passed out. He survived after a stay in the Fairbanks hospital but the doc said he wasn’t long for the world if he hadn’t struggled to get to town. He had iodine poisoning on top of the bad “moose hand” (or seal hand or salmon hand or bear hand…they’re the “same-same”) but Frank was as tough as they come.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,886
Posts18,518,273
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.