Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
"They can run a long way with a .30 hole in the lungs."

Ah, no they can't !

You obviously have not done much deer hunting.

Bwhahahaha !

Really ?

grin

That would make 1 of us !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Recovery? How does one know it's dead if he can't find it.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 1minute
Can't use drones to take or scout big game here in Oregon. Clearly spelled out in the regs.

How would most respond when sitting on their favorite stump and a drone sweeps by during season? I know what my inclination would be. I feel the same about 4-wheelers or bikes running cross country on public ground for retrievals. They don't make my day, but I have no issues with a hiker and his pack frame doing the same.

A buddy is a drone pilot. Without furnishing specifics, some creatures stand and stare while others clear the horizon. He is very careful with what he posts on the web.

I'd be fine with such on deeded property, but not public.

Should have read the regs before his first launch, so pinch him.

Just because a technology exist does not mean it should be included in fair chase.

Had an acquaintance that thought he should be allowed to pack his rifle while tracking a bull he wounded on the last evening of the season. Warden said, "season's over dude."

Having a history in research, I've seen IR drone images where one can spot nesting sparrows and mice along with coordinates in the dead of night. Great tool, but I speculate such would be abused. I could sure save a lot of leg work if such were legal in Or/Id,s Snake River Canyon.
Recovery isn't scouting or taking.

Being a true woodman is a lost art. Now days it’s take the easy way out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was hunting with a Mauser in .30-06, shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain. I was shooting for the middle of the lungs, like the book said.
I have had more than 25 Georgia whitetail run well over 100 yards hit like that. Not big deer, maybe 110- 140 pounds.

Since I had a scope, having gotten tired of long range blood tracking, I began going for the neck shot. Middle of the neck, Dead Right There. But, the neck is a much smaller target than the lungs.
I also shot quite a few with the muzzleloader, and the .50 round ball would drop a whitetail on a lung shot in less than 50 yards. I killed several dozen with my 2 muzzleloaders and none made over 50 yards on a lung shot.

Since y'all Yankees are dropping them in their tracks on a lung shot, I guess our Georgia deer are nuclear-powered.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by callnum
Can't use drones to take or scout big game here in Oregon. Clearly spelled out in the regs.

How would most respond when sitting on their favorite stump and a drone sweeps by during season? I know what my inclination would be. I feel the same about 4-wheelers or bikes running cross country on public ground for retrievals. They don't make my day, but I have no issues with a hiker and his pack frame doing the same.

A buddy is a drone pilot. Without furnishing specifics, some creatures stand and stare while others clear the horizon. He is very careful with what he posts on the web.

Just because a technology exist does not mean it should be included in fair chase.

Had an acquaintance that thought he should be allowed to pack his rifle while tracking a bull he wounded on the last evening of the season. Warden said, "season's over dude."

Having a history in research, I've seen IR drone images where one can spot nesting sparrows and mice along with coordinates in the dead of night. Great tool, but I speculate such would be abused. I could sure save a lot of leg work if such were legal in Or/Id,s Snake River Canyon.

So you're saying true woodmen never lost a critter?

Track and jump a gut shot deer versus using a drone to confirm if he is still alive or dead greatly increases odds of losing that deer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I know, but he is talking about a 30 caliber, shooting 180gr projectiles.

If that deer runs 110 yards, it was not shot through the heart lungs.

At least you know, we do shoot our share of deer, Brian !

My longest tracking job, was on a doe which my son misjudged the angle, qtring too, rather than broadside.

Shot behind the shoulder, nicked 1 lung, liver, & exited behind the diaphragm.

Bumped bedded deer @ about 150 yards & backed out for 2 hours.

Found her, dead in bed, an additional 100 yards.

Paul.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thems deers must be tougher'n hell to need a 180 out of an '06.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was hunting with a Mauser in .30-06, shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain. I was shooting for the middle of the lungs, like the book said.
I have had more than 25 Georgia whitetail run well over 100 yards hit like that. Not big deer, maybe 110- 140 pounds.

Since I had a scope, having gotten tired of long range blood tracking, I began going for the neck shot. Middle of the neck, Dead Right There. But, the neck is a much smaller target than the lungs.
I also shot quite a few with the muzzleloader, and the .50 round ball would drop a whitetail on a lung shot in less than 50 yards. I killed several dozen with my 2 muzzleloaders and none made over 50 yards on a lung shot.

Since y'all Yankees are dropping them in their tracks on a lung shot, I guess our Georgia deer are nuclear-powered.

Nope, never ever, had a DRT, except for CNS.

Unlike Brian, we are not even high shoulder shot takers.

All our deer run, just not as far as your smaller, but obviously bionic deer.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Maybe, big gun compensating for small dick ?

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many of these guys use only a longbow or other primitive weapon.

No modern coated optics to maximize light gathering ability or compounds with fiber optic sight to do the same.

Also no flashlights to recover deer shot at dark. Leave em overnight they won't be spoiled or eaten up by the coyotes, wolves or bears.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Lots of his YouTube videos are Amish folk shootin the deer

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Maybe, big gun compensating for small dick ?
Or a guy hunting thick swamps.

Different areas and tactics change.

Some of these guys are comfortable with what works in their area.

The shoe doesn't always fit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Yep, use the drone to confirm where deer is or confirm its dead instead of jumping a live deer that crosses property you have no access to or runs clear out of the county before bedding up again to only be lost.

I will use whatever I can to maximize recovery.

We owe that to the animal.

Some have an ego to feed though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
common sense should be used for a recovery of a deer or what ever other animal that has been shot .yes drones should probably be used ,i see very little difference in what / when people use a bunch a game cameras to hunt with that show day and time on goes right away to your phone.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by pete53
common sense should be used for a recovery of a deer or what ever other animal that has been shot .yes drones should probably be used ,i see very little difference in what / when people use a bunch a game cameras to hunt with that show day and time on goes right away to your phone.
This^^

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Track and jump a gut shot deer versus using a drone to confirm if he is still alive or dead greatly increases odds of losing that deer.

Why would a hunter with even a little experience jump a gut shot deer? Ya knew ya gut shot it.

Technology is the easy way out and understandable why some choose it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Why would a hunter with even a little experience jump a gut shot deer? Ya knew ya gut shot it.

Technology is the easy way out and understandable why some choose it.
Not every gut shot deer is dead within 12+ hours/overnight.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/11/24.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So many here think their experience(s) are the only ones valid, or that all are the same.

I've certainly seen lunged deer go 100 yards.
PRB lunged deer have went quite a bit farther, 100 without a drop of blood.

Or dropped within feet.

Body shots are like rolling dice. (If you don't take out structure)
Good shot, round, bullet....you will get a 1-6. Sometimes the damn thing rolls off the table!

There are 2 bullets my experience has been opposite from what others
here get. One I found hard for the application and not very effective, the other
was opposite. Very hard on meat, but very quick killing.

The guys who have posted opposite seem experienced and honest, so
my conclusion is a particular batch or some other factor affected my results.
I'm certainly not wasting my time losing game or meat to research it farther,
there are too many good choices today.

Nor am I going to jump up and scream to the world that So and So is a dumb, lying,
Poser because we get different results.

As to drones being abused?

Get real.

The laws on hunting are so varied that establishing what's actually the hard and fast moral rules is impossible.

Was going to post that pretty much everything possible was legal somewhere, sometime, with the exception that paying The Man to pursue God's creatures was ubiquitous. Then I remembered that some landowners don't have to buy license!😵‍💫😵‍💫

Tech?
Ain't no one chases tech more that Traditional🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 "Bowhunters".

Outlaws will outlaw, you ain't gonna stop it.
Others will break laws occasionally, either purposely or accidently.

Following the outlaw it so it can't be used wrongly?

Ho Li Fuuuuuudge.
Outlaw carrying a flashlight because you could use it to roadhunt,

Outlaw driving a vehicle while possessing a gun because folks "might" roadhunt.
(Oh [bleep], that's not always illegal)

Oh wait.

Outlaw what I don't use,
Don't have,
Don't want someone to use!

PGC is a King in the "Make it illegal because someone might do something illegal with it" game.

Either now or until recently we couldn't,
Carry a handgun while primitive hunting.
Use dogs to track wounded deer.
Hunt deer and anything else during the same dates. (Except for primitive seasons)
Hunt small game with a centerline.
It goes on.

Ironically, we can spotlight. Just to look for deer.
In recent times we can even posses a handgun while doing it. But you gotta be careful. A 9mm is OK, probably. If they determine its more a deer killing gun than a defense gun...it's illegal. If your carry gun is a 6" M19, who knows until they tell you.

But, we can't spotlight during deer season!😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like Dillon is into the Old Crow and drunk posting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tracking dogs aren’t legal either.

This state frequently puts you in the position of being illegal while you do the right thing.

Couple months ago,

I seen be a Possum Cop I would have been fined for,
Shooting from a road
Hunting out of season
Using a gun not legal for the game
Etc, Etc.

Because I put down a car hit doe.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tracking dogs aren’t legal either.

This state frequently puts you in the position of being illegal while you do the right thing.

Couple months ago,

I seen be a Possum Cop I would have been fined for,
Shooting from a road
Hunting out of season
Using a gun not legal for the game
Etc, Etc.

Because I put down a car hit doe.

Few years ago i seen a buck get hit in front of me, it broke is back, I dragged the deer to the side of the road sat on it and called the game warden, took that prick almost 2 hours to get there, he was eating breakfast, alot of people stopped to see if I needed help, they seen I had a glock on and said why don't you just shoot it, well because if I did the prick that was eating donuts would of fined me

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 71 invisible), 16,102 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,184
Posts18,543,263
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.