Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Dude has a legit biz helping ppl I see nothing wrong

I agree, as long as Joe Blow the hunter is not the Joe Blow drone-driver. Drone recovery by someone who hires out that service is fine IMO, as long as he isn't also the shooter. I'd restrict it to "for hire" , not Joes's good buddy doing him a favor. No different than hiring a tracking dog, if dog-use is not otherise allowed in that hunting .t

There has to be a line, and I think that one is reasonable.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by las

I agree, as long as Joe Blow the hunter is not the Joe Blow drone-driver. Drone recovery by someone who hires out that service is fine IMO, as long as he isn't also the shooter. I'd restrict it to "for hire" , not Joes's good buddy doing him a favor. No different than hiring a tracking dog, if dog-use is not otherise allowed in that hunting .t

👍👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I'm accused of being drunk ill be brief!

Overheard a warden on the phone telling someone to shoot a hit deer.

I ask about it, and he told me,

"If we get called out after hours to shoot a deer, we get a couple hours overtime. Some guys want that money, bad. So they won't let you do it. I've already gotten them pissed at me when I've been called about a deer in their area and I was told it was mine."

Just saw you are in The Hillbilly.
This may not apply.
I'd bet it does though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

If someone has a drone but has to pay $300-500 for someone else to recover their deer they are most likely going to do it themselves or say phuu.ck that deer and leave it to go to waste.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I kinda doubt an hour of drone time cost that much. Maybe if it is a thermal drone .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I kinda doubt an hour of drone time cost that much. Maybe if it is a thermal drone .
Maybe not if someone is local but if you have to have someone drive from an hour or 2 away cost may get steep pretty quick.

Especially if one has to have a license or be registered to do such a thing. Going to cover the cost of travel and equipment for sure.

Easier to keep your yapper shut and if you know someone who has a drone let them do it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/11/24.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It is

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe same operator.

$450 plus $100 if recovered plus mileage.

https://www.lancasterfarming.com/co...553a24e-88a3-11ee-b39a-6ffcf2f9dbeb.html

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wonder if its something to do with FAA??

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It's very obvious in this case that the drone was being used to recover a wounded deer.

I wonder if PA has any applicable wanton waste or recovery effort laws.
Interesting views here. There are no wanton waste laws in Pa Paul, you can shoot a buck n cut it's head off and let it lay. They don't GAF..... but don't you dare find your dead deer with a drone!

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I could see a drone season, shotgun only.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by las

Sorry, no.

If its legal for someone's business it should be legal for me to do for myself. How about personal, individual deer butchering be banned and have all butchering go through a licensed pro?

How about no firearm's present for recovery? Seems like thats a clear line between hunting/pursuit and recovery. Unload and put it in the car. Now go drone.

Or screw the drones altogether and hunt like my grandfather did.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 01/11/24.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It is
Well, I wouldn’t call them unless it was a wall hanger.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bobby Joe in Spring Creek Holler isn’t spending $400 on a doe recovery . He’s getting ready for tomorrow.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've not read through all of the comments but I'm curious if anyone has shown outrage or fully agreed with the game wardens on this one yet?

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I've not read through all of the comments but I'm curious if anyone has shown outrage or fully agreed with the game wardens on this one yet?
You'll have to read thru the thread to find all of that out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
On thinking about it over the day, I don't fault the warden. Either way. "Recovery" can be interpreted as part of "hunting". Or not. Probably depends on wording of state law involved ,unless better defined.

Let the judge sort it out. It's not the warden's job, tho he can use discretion in gray (or other) areas. Or define it in law. Wardens have a fair bit of discretion - he chose to cover his butt. I've been given the benefit of the doubt at least once in marginal situation. co-incidently enough, the issue was defined by the next season ( and I would have been wrong, then - but I was going by the letter of the law - not my fault if it is ill defined and ambiguous). Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer.

In another case, the Fed. USFW officer walked into ADF&G with my moose rack, and the biologist- before Fed could say anything - said "LAS took that - it's legal" I had cleared it (scouted moose) with ADFG prior...by the letter of the law. But it was a wierdy!

Locally, we have a "personal use" gill net fishery for a week in June, for salmon. One of the regs is nets must be 100' apart. if they aren't, the officer cites both of them and lets the judge figure it out, if they choose to fight the fine.

Here in Alaska, if you shoot and lose (or just non-fatally wound) an animal, you are technically done. You have "taken" your critter. I don't know how well enforced that is.

In fact, if you look at the definition of "take" in our regulations, if you think about going out hunting and pick up a gun, you are done hunting... Lawyer speak..... providing LEO with discretion.

And yeah, wardens ARE cops. Everywhere. Here in AK, Troopers and Protection Officers are one and the same- just wear different uniforms. Way understaffed, too.

Last edited by las; 01/12/24.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 1minute
Can't use drones to take or scout big game here in Oregon. Clearly spelled out in the regs.

How would most respond when sitting on their favorite stump and a drone sweeps by during season? I know what my inclination would be. I feel the same about 4-wheelers or bikes running cross country on public ground for retrievals. They don't make my day, but I have no issues with a hiker and his pack frame doing the same.

A buddy is a drone pilot. Without furnishing specifics, some creatures stand and stare while others clear the horizon. He is very careful with what he posts on the web.

I'd be fine with such on deeded property, but not public.

Should have read the regs before his first launch, so pinch him.

Just because a technology exist does not mean it should be included in fair chase.

Had an acquaintance that thought he should be allowed to pack his rifle while tracking a bull he wounded on the last evening of the season. Warden said, "season's over dude."

Having a history in research, I've seen IR drone images where one can spot nesting sparrows and mice along with coordinates in the dead of night. Great tool, but I speculate such would be abused. I could sure save a lot of leg work if such were legal in Or/Id,s Snake River Canyon.
Recovery isn't scouting or taking.
When does hunting end and recovery begin? I'm betting that most states define it as when you tag the deer. If you're out with a gun in hand and a tag in your pocket, you're hunting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
10 ga. - warden was wrong. Packing a gun doesn't mean one is hunting, even if season is over. 2A

Not gonna fly up here in bear country, anyway. I pack a gun walking the dogs. And I ain't worried about bears. We got good bears. People, not so much.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 16,986 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,189
Posts18,543,388
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.