Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky
The big bull.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thanks for the story about Maggy, the hunt, the prize and all of it. Well done, and good on you in doing that stuff for young folks. This photo with the bulls looks pretty much like where we lived and hunted for 22 years - a wonderful run - miss it a bunch.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Awesome that you do this for young hunters. Good on ya man.

Dandy buck. Way to go Maggy!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for getting a kid involved and hooked!

Nice job.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good job young lady,and Mr.Osky a heck of a gesture sir and I hope ur new year is filled with good moments such as these.Happy New Year sir!Keep up the good work.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Congrats to both of you. I love it when a plan comes together.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good on you sir. Congrats to Maggie. Nothing like taking a good kid hunting.

B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Impressive on all counts!

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
That is one of the best stories I've read in a long time. Congrats to the young lady and thumbs up to you!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Great job, I'am sure she will do the same some day.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's living right...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well done sport...that is a worthwhile endeavour.

Well done!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heck of a deal

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great job and a wonderful write up with the pictures. Nicely done and 2 thumbs up to you.

Hugh
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thank you for doing that and including us too!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoyed the story, thanks for posting and thanks for taking an interest in the young ones.
Too few of our youth are getting involved in hunting.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome 👌

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you! Great thread and pics. Wish all of us could take at least one such young person hunting or fishing.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Young people need to be shown the way and given a choice and you have. You have my respect Sir. 🫡

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well done

Originally Posted by Osky
Each year I take a youth on a western hunt. A hunt they otherwise wouldn’t realize life being what it is financially and otherwise. This year it was Maggy.

Maggy is a young lady who tagged along with her brother to the trap range when she was barely bigger than a whisp of grass. She has become an awfully good trap shooter and huntress. More than this a darn good young lady. I asked her to come west.
We spent some range time last summer and I got her comfortable with a Tikka .243 and 95gr ballistic tips. I got her license for Montana trophy deer, and a doe tag for her accompanying guardian. Out to the ranch the hunt was on, mid November.
Mule deer country:

One of the first days we worked down some tops and found a lion kill. First trophy of the trip.

I was focusing on trying to get her one of these two caught on camera before season.

After 5 days of looking over maybe 200 mule deer and double that in whitetails we set up a spot to intercept a buck we spotted the evening before in the alfalfa fields. That morning they came up but not where we figured after a too smart doe in the harem busted us. The chase was on. The deer moved west along the south side of a butte line, 1/2 mile north we hurried west along that side of the buttes.
We got to the end of the butte in time to watch the buck and 9 doe harem go up and thru a saddle 600 yards out. Away we went after them after the last deer went thru. The other side of that cut had a still rising sage flat I’d hoped they would stop in.
We got up to the base under the cut and climbed the 50 yards up to it on an elk trail the deer used. We peeked thru and the deer were milling around about 175 yards out in the sage. We slipped up and got down on a knee. I could see Maggy was shaking like a leaf. Luckily does we’re in the way and tho they were looking back at us they were calm. This delay gave me time to whisper calming words to Maggy, note this, can you see that and so on. After 15 minutes the does cleared and the buck broadsided standing. I quietly asked if she had the mark on the deer just back edge of the bucks shoulder. The gun answered my question. The buck bolted 30 yards across the sage, cartwheeled and down.
If you look over Maggy’s left ear in the picture of her holding the lion kill you can see the flat where she killed the buck.
Maggy was looking at the deer down when she heeled the gun and I saw it waiver so I grabbed it and she started to cry hard. She turned in to my shoulder still kneeling there and let it all out. After she composed herself she apologized, said she’d never been so happy. My payday right there fellas.

It was a terrific trip, we had a spike bull tag so we spent two days trying to fill it but the bulls were too big and Maggy didn’t want a cow. We spent an hour watching a group of bedded bulls where 1 was a 325 class, 4 that were 340-360 and one that’s been seen on the ranch and below is the picture if you can pick him on the left side. He was in front of the truck one morning and the guys figured him in the 410-420 range. He was an absolute tank laying among the others and what a great treat for me and Maggy to watch so long. We slipped back away.
We passed a lot of coyotes for fear of pushing deer, but Maggy played hel on a prairie dog town one day, she can really blow them up.
Maggy was loved on the ranch and encouraged to start applying for the trophy bull drawing. I look forward to that hunt with her. In the meanwhile I’ve chosen another young gunner for this upcoming deer season to hopefully give them their hunt of a lifetime. 50 plus years of guiding, I never knew it could feel so good.
Thanks for reading.

Osky

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.