Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Okie dokie!
I was born in 1950 and grew up in East Texas.
We lived through hurricanes, tornados, drouths, floods, 100°+ temps, +/-20° temps and the occasional hard freeze and snow.
Until the 2nd grade, the only A/C I had experienced was at the local "Duke & Ayers" department store and the Texas Theater.
I can remember my sister and me ice skating (no skates) on our farm pond (1 acre). We didn't break through.

Our dogs lived outside. We heated the house with LPG space heaters. They were burned during the day. They were turned off every night! Regardless of night time temps!
The heat of summer meant opening every window in the house, mosquitoes be damned! Spent many a summer night, wallowing in a pool of sweat until, out of desperation, you slipped onto that linoleum floor because it was MUCH cooler!
Maybe a box fan to stir the sultry air!

These days! Freezing temps and summertime highs above 90° and the news organizations go into orbit! 🤯
Don't go outdoors without proper clothing. Drink plenty water!
The NE is flooding.
The SW is in a drought!
Subzero temps in the Great Lakes area.

Have we become a nation of "wimps"?
If something unforseen happened, would you be able to provide warmth or compensate for the heat until power is restored?

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sheesh....

I am MAGA.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A country boy can survive

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I admit Im a puzzy when it comes to summertime.

I gotta have my AC

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If it get's too tough, I'mma jus' gonna die. If the batteries are good in the backhoe or the excavator.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a young kid in the early 80’s we all carried pocket knives and were “blood brothers” with our buddies. The HIV and Hep put a stop to that right quick😳

We definitely played outside a lot more rather making forts in the woodlots, three wheelers, BMX bike trails, playing in the ditches, playing with BB guns, making spears, snow forts, snowball fights, getting into fights, catching frogs and turtles, playing with paintball guns, tag or army in the cornfields… all that good stuff.

All of it makes you rougher and tougher than a kid that stays inside all day and the 24 hr news media cycle always looking for the next storm to hype. I hate skeeters though. I’d rather sweat my azz off than try to sleep with a mosquito buzzing around.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You can still live like it's 1955 if you want.

I will take modern conveniences.

Ponds here don't freeze up like they did 40+ years ago. Has nothing to do with me but mother nature.

Don't like A/C or heat at night don't use them.

I bet you miss Armstrong power steering too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
These days! Freezing temps and summertime highs above 90° and the news organizations go into orbit! 🤯
Don't go outdoors without proper clothing. Drink plenty water!
The NE is flooding.
The SW is in a drought!
Subzero temps in the Great Lakes area.

Have we become a nation of "wimps"?
If something unforseen happened, would you be able to provide warmth or compensate for the heat until power is restored?

The MSM over-reports anything weather related now. It's a big part of the politically motivated climate agenda. Us older folks see it, but the young folks don't know any better.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Central Illinois in the forties and fifties, humid as a swamp, little oscillating fans. No TV til 1958 in our house. Pop lost his good job, worked in a gas station, mom clerked in a Penneys. Chicken was $8/carload, rice about $2/ton. We lived on it even though mom, normally a great cook couldn't fry chicken "done" or stop rice before it was gel. I hate fried chicken, and I only eat steamed or fried rice.
Moved to St Louis in 62, I did, to work in the Chebby plant on Union. Lived across the street from Sportsmans Park and would pick up a bag of sliders and go watch the Red birds for a buck fifty and drink 50 cent Bud. Then back to the room at the Y to sweat it all off before work, which required a white shirt and tie.
I've come to love AC in my 80s. I think I earned it.
Own a deer camp, a home and three vehicles free and clear and all my kids are near. They got no clue what it took to get here but they sure wasn't spoiled.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You are a bit of a youngster, but you had no say in that. I'm a 1943 "model". No AC, no snake proof boots, we did swap pocket knives at school, didn't bring guns to school, unless it had historic interest ! I've sweated in TX, & NM, also sweated & froze in VA. NM, & suffered in DUST STORMS IN NM. I think the first AC was @ the Rexall Drug Store. OF COURSE dogs were not allowed inside, then, not now. Growing up was hard, but everything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Life is more comfortable now, for sure ! Oh, I've worked in TOBACCO FIELDS !!!!! Now dammit, that was hard !!!!!!!!! #### Also, I've outrun Tornado's, barely ......

"not too grumpy"
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
You are a bit of a youngster, but you had no say in that. I'm a 1943 "model". No AC, no snake proof boots, we did swap pocket knives at school, didn't bring guns to school, unless it had historic interest ! I've sweated in TX, & NM, also sweated & froze in VA. NM, & suffered in DUST STORMS IN NM. I think the first AC was @ the Rexall Drug Store. OF COURSE dogs were not allowed inside, then, not now. Growing up was hard, but everything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Life is more comfortable now, for sure ! Oh, I've worked in TOBACCO FIELDS !!!!! Now dammit, that was hard !!!!!!!!! #### Also, I've outrun Tornado's, barely ......
I worked tobacco fields myself 👍👍

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
To answer the question yes 99% of the male population is now pussyfied. I base my opinion on the weaknesss of what is supposed to be a grown male not how they handle A/C and heat. Look at the average 20-30 year old and the bow weights they hunt with lol. I’m referring to real bows now longbows or recurves not a compound that does 70% of the work or a crossbow for the smooth brains. Supposed healthy active adult males that can’t shoot a bow over 40#.
That was the midweght for WOMEN archers in the 1950s-1960s 1970s.

I’m not even going to get into the man babies hunting deer with a .243 or Turkeys with a .410. Freakin pu$$ys

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

I gotta have my AC

I am a major cold weather wuss.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

I gotta have my AC

I am a major cold weather wuss.
And many to the North couldn't handle your humidity in summer months

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,082
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.