Hop To
#1910630 01/02/08
H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I know to 80% of the country this is a taboo topic. But it's a triditional way to hunt deer in the southeastern part of the US.

Florida, Georgia and South Carolina are just a few states that allow this type of hunting.

It is alot like a man drive, where several walkers move through a block and drive the deer to the standers. Only in this case a jump dog and a few pack hounds trail the deer to the standers.

You begin by having the standers cover the normal crossing that deer use. Then a walker will zig zag through the woods with his hounds and jump a deer from its bed. The dogs will trail in most cases and chase in some cases the deer to the standers. If its a shooter buck, they try to make the shot. If not he catches the dogs. Everyone stays in communication with small radios and has to shift locations if the deer gets by.

I use a small pack of beagles. They dont drive the deer hard and fast and allows for easier catching of dogs.

Anyone else do this type of hunting?

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never seen it, its illegal here. Used to be legal.

Long as the deer don't come barreling by with tongues out I'd say it should be an interesting method.

Any effect on the quality of the meat vs running the deer? I"m not poking at ya though, from what I hear many elk have been run by humans and running for their lives when shot....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds pretty good to me the way you describe it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yeah we do it up here!! No tongues hanging out, really a good time lease about 10,000 acres a usual saturday is a about 200 fox walkers good music!

H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Running deer sometimes have that gamey taste if you don't have a cooler to hang them in. 4 or 5 days at 40 degree will remove it.

We have a few guys that hunt with Walker hounds and they run a deer hard. Most of the time we'll see the deer at the first crossing and catch the dog off a non shooter and shoot the others.

The group I hunt with gets between 20 and 25 deer a year. and see hundreds of deer.

Planning a north Florida hunt the week of the 21st. Thats our last weekend.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We hunt deer with beagles in Renfrew County, Ontario. We only run one beagle at a time to cut down on the time spent retrieving lost dogs. Run alone, they give up the chase on a deer that has went past the standers a lot quicker.

H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I like that Idea Reiche. The guys I hunt with will dump every butt licker in the box on a track. You spend the rest of the day chasing dogs.

I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (160user, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 35, 20 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,463
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.