Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Regarding classic rifle... Mannlichers, Mauser, pre 64's, remington 88s, ect.
Whats the consensus?
Do I resore/ refurbish old weavers, Kahles, ect and keep the classic look OR upgrade to a modern optic that allows me to use the rifles to the fullest extent?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
HR IC

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like to get new scopes in traditional magnification ranges and objective size. But I recently got a couple of used gloss Leupolds to go on top of a Browning BLR and a M70 Featherweight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were me I wouldn’t restore/refurbish I’d just do some 80’s gloss Leupold’s. They’re tailor made for that IMO.

Even if not period correct and less clear glass than something new it will have the right look and be clear enough/bright enough. A new matte scope wouldn’t look right if that matters to you. All personal preference obviously but if I were to hunt with an older rifle Vs. Something more contemporary. I’d want to keep the classic look but wouldn’t go out of my way sweating the details.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
Whats the consensus?
Do I resore/ refurbish old weavers, Kahles, ect and keep the classic look OR upgrade to a modern optic that allows me to use the rifles to the fullest extent?

Only 1 thing to do, go classic. There are good scopes of that era that belong on those old rifles. These are old Sakos with B&L Balvar scopes and an old Unertl Hawk...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ringworm
Whats the consensus?

How "modern" are you talking? A gloss Leupold Vari-x series scope looks great on most classic rifles. A more useable, yet simple, scope could be a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. They make them in gloss too, but those are harder to find. They also look great, and also work exceptionally well on a "classic" rifle. Steel tube Weavers are nice, but you have to be very selective and find a good one. I'd stay away from old Redfields, because if they fail, you will have a hard time having someone repair them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t often see the scopes Shrapnel is writing about for sale.

My “old” rifles would have to be drilled and tapped and have some sort of base made to mount a scope. The “new” rifles I have - post WWI to 1950’s, I mostly have Leupold M8’s. But the “NEW” rifles I have a mixture of scopes, I try to get the best bang for the buck on those, including scopes from Germany and Japan, plus Burris, Leopold and others.

I have retired most of the scopes of my youth due to optic quality, weight, adjustments and so forth. I still have a couple Weaver El Paso and Redfield Denver scopes - they don’t go hunting much.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
I don’t often see the scopes Shrapnel is writing about for sale.

My “old” rifles would have to be drilled and tapped and have some sort of base made to mount a scope. The “new” rifles I have - post WWI to 1950’s, I mostly have Leupold M8’s. But the “NEW” rifles I have a mixture of scopes, I try to get the best bang for the buck on those, including scopes from Germany and Japan, plus Burris, Leopold and others.

I have retired most of the scopes of my youth due to optic quality, weight, adjustments and so forth. I still have a couple Weaver El Paso and Redfield Denver scopes - they don’t go hunting much.

That's weird. You never look on ebay? I see them all the time. Even saw one of his favorites, a Zeiss Diavari for sale locally for $250.00.. That is another older scope, that looks pretty good on an old rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's weird. You never look on ebay? I see them all the time. Even saw one of his favorites, a Zeiss Diavari for sale locally for $250.00..

The scopes I buy on-line are ones with warranty.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I’d put the best scope I could afford on a rifle I hunted with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Same. I’ve never understood the period-correct thing - if I were opening a museum, I’d likely have a different perspective.

WWP53D
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed. For hunting, put the best glass on it that you can. If wanted, hang onto the "classic" scope to put back on when wanted.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I don't think I'll buy a steel tube Weaver ever again. I bought a 2.5x and when I was out hunting it fogged up to the point where it cost me a shot at a deer. Then I bought a 4x in like new in box condition. It didn't even make it 50 rounds before the erector lens left loose

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Same. I’ve never understood the period-correct thing - if I were opening a museum, I’d likely have a different perspective.

I respectfully disagree. Hunting isn’t just about killing and what you hunt with is as important as the game you hunt…

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rugged Reliability is never not the premium,though Flat Billed Fence Hoppers tend to fret their Estrogen Levels,for their HILARIOUS Dinkly Pursuits. Hint.

Being a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,seemingly greases those skids. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just saying...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Shrapnel do you mind telling us the chamberings of those rifles shown in the pictures you shared?

While I’ve only been big game hunting for a bit more than 25 years, I find my tastes becoming increasingly more classic. Chances are if you don’t find me afield with a .30-06 or one of its progeny, I will be carrying a bolt, lever or single-shot action rifle of vintage.

I like that stuff. Folks should shoot and hunt with whatever they like!

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Just bought an L model full stock with EAWs and a 1.1-5 kahles Helia that is yellowish inside.
If I can't get it refurbished at swarovski maybe a KAPs 2-8 or a 1-6 vx5.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Leupold gloss look good on older rifles

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a classic mount and scope on my Mannlicher MC 7x57. The Leupold "Adjusto" mount was on it when purchased and the Leupold M8 4x28mm was a perfect fit for me.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I go both ways.

I can leave it the way it came.......

or.......

just depends on the purpose for which I intend it!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
Shrapnel do you mind telling us the chamberings of those rifles shown in the pictures you shared?

While I’ve only been big game hunting for a bit more than 25 years, I find my tastes becoming increasingly more classic. Chances are if you don’t find me afield with a .30-06 or one of its progeny, I will be carrying a bolt, lever or single-shot action rifle of vintage.

I like that stuff. Folks should shoot and hunt with whatever they like!

45-70 Shiloh Sharps

32-40 Model 1894 Takedown

38-72 Model 1895

45-70 Browning model 1886 Montana Centennial

50 Express Colt Lightning Large frame

25-35 Winchester High Wall Takedown

45-70 Winchester 1886 Deluxe

45-70 Shiloh Model 1877 Sharps

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (37L1, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.