Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
is here:

ROBERT E. LEE DAY

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Image by .com/photos/61286670N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can remember when it was a state holiday here in Kentucky.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you. Robert E. Lee is infinitely more honorable than that horrid man, Michael King

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang gonehuntin, I never would've pegged you for a Lee fan.

grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
that was before my time in Ky .did they give you the day off from school for Robert E Lee daylike they do MLK day ?Iam sure you didnt get off work for it but i could be wrong

Last edited by rem shooter; 01/15/24.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
❤️❤️❤️

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arkansas State employees used to get the Robert E Lee day off, they still do but the name of the day has changed. frown miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When i was in grade school in VA, we had a kid in our class whose ancestor was John Mosby. He and his family would come in and tell old family stories once or twice a year and we'd celebrate that, we were all jealous of him because it was cool as hell.

F*ck a bunch of cancelers.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
It was Lee-Jackson Day in Virginia before the do gooders took over the state legislature in the 1990's or so. If I remember correctly we had the day off from school, that would have been in the 1960's.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes👍👍👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem shooter
that was before my time in Ky .did they give you the day off from school for Robert E Lee daylike they do MLK day ?Iam sure you didnt get off work for it but i could be wrong

We didn't get holidays off from school in the 50's and 60's except for Christmas and Thanksgiving. My father worked for the state as a livestock inspector, and Lee's birthday was a paid holiday for state workers. Kentucky did not secede from the Union, but the majority of the state smypathized with the South, so that's why Lee was honored. Also, Jefferson Davis's birthday is June 3, and I believe that was a day off for state workers as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem shooter

We didn't get holidays off from school in the 50's and 60's except for Christmas and Thanksgiving. My father worked for the state as a livestock inspector, and Lee's birthday was a paid holiday for state workers. Kentucky did not secede from the Union, but the majority of the state smypathized with the South, so that's why Lee was honored. Also, Jefferson Davis's birthday is June 3, and I believe that was a day off for state workers as well.
cool .Thank you

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lee did a lot with very little, compared to the Union force commanders. His left hand was Longstreet and his right was Jackson. When the three were together they were a force to be reckoned with.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Virgil, quick come see. There goes Robert E. Lee

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Unlike military leaders today (Gen. Milley in particular), R.E.Lee was a leader with class and respectability.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Unlike military leaders today (Gen. Milley in particular), R.E.Lee was a leader with class and respectability.

Yep. Anyone being honest would agree with this^^.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
is here:

ROBERT E. LEE DAY

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Image by .com/photos/61286670N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]
Shouldn’t Robert E Lee day be Friday? (his birthday)

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've heard that Lee actually had the war won at some point, but because he was a "gentleman", victory slipped away.
As I understand it, Lee didn't give his officers "orders". His commands were more like "suggestions" and his officers pretty much went off on their own. A lack of direction and coordination led to Lee's downfall.

As I understand it, Lee being a Confederate wasn't necessarily his choice, but more a factor of his location when the war broke out.

Wasn't Lee also a West Point grad?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

I've heard that Lee actually had the war won at some point, but because he was a "gentleman", victory slipped away.
As I understand it, Lee didn't give his officers "orders". His commands were more like "suggestions" and his officers pretty much went off on their own. A lack of direction and coordination led to Lee's downfall.

As I understand it, Lee being a Confederate wasn't necessarily his choice, but more a factor of his location when the war broke out.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Lee’s orders to Liongstreet, on day 3 at Gettysburg, was a suggestion. Perhaps that was the case in other circumstances, in other battles.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Won the Battle of Manassas (first battle) and could have gone into Washington and gathered up Lincoln but Beaugregard wouldn't authorize Lee to pursue the Yanks that ran with their tails betwixt their legs!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Lee’s orders to Liongstreet, on day 3 at Gettysburg, was a suggestion. Perhaps that was the case in other circumstances, in other battles.
Lee had the damyankys whipped day 2 if things would’ve set off that morning instead of dicking around 😉😉

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lee's horse Traveller had more integrity than 90% of the politicians in DC do today.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lee's undoing was his aristocratic planter class loyalty. He could not abandon, a not so important, Virginia for a greater strategy to save the entire South. State's loyalty was a very big mental block throughout the South that precluded a wise, unified plan of attack and attrition. The planters were the richest men in the world. Their arrogant mentality failed miserably, diplomatically, by barring the sympathetic western states from commerce on the Mississippi. That steady food and supply, and political backing, would have made the Gettysburg gamble unnecessary. Similarly, Lee's lack of appreciation for deep south, non aristocratic, agriculture was fatal. Lee's biggest failure was fighting toe to toe with a great industrial power with plenty of reserves. He didn't have to win any big battles, just hit and run, harass and evade. Public opinion in the North favored secession as it was widely understood at the time the Union was a voluntary, mutually beneficial arrangement until it wasn't. The clock was Lee's greatest ally. But he was in a hurry.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I often wandered after Chancellorsville even though we lost TJ what would have happened staying on the defense??

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

“Arkansas Traveler”

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I would think so since his birthday is the 19th (1807)

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

You look great on that horse with perfect riding posture. I wish my wife’s relative Stonewall Jackson would have made it with you until the end.
Thank you for your awesome service.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (325wsm1, 808outdoors, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 10 invisible), 14,310 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,929
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.