Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Not sure. Probably a low profile red dot to keep it simple. Maybe a cheap pistol scope.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by aether_tech
Not sure. Probably a low profile red dot to keep it simple. Maybe a cheap pistol scope.
Let us know what you end up with.

Pictures.

DF

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by aether_tech
Let us know what you end up with.

Pictures.

DF
be back with them in a month or three when i've ocd' my options down to what I want and spend 2 months shopping.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
I’ve owned two Sport Kings. The first was a later model with a 6” barrel and slide release button. It shot great but had feeding issues. I think this may have been due to the aftermarket magazines more than the gun itself.

The second I still own is a much earlier 1951 model with no slide release button and a 4” barrel. It shoots just as good as the first and no feeding issues. I only have one original magazine and a nice Triple K leather flap holster. I carry it a lot!

For the price you mentioned I would buy it!
You probably right about the mag, which is gonna be the #1 issue with feeding issues in those guns.

DF

I am pretty sure the magazine IS the feeding issue with High Standard pistols. They don't have a feeding ramp and depend on the mag lips to position the top cartridge to enter the chamber as the slide strips it from the top of the stack. I have worked with my dad's Dura Matic with feeding issues. The original mag is an aluminum color and somebody pinched it (stepped on it?) about an inch below the top, so it will hold and feed maybe 3 rounds but binds any rounds below that. It has Hi Standard stamped into the floor plate, by the way. I bought several (Triple K?) aftermarket mags in a batch and somebody directed me to an online site that has correct mag lip width dimensions, so I experimented with one of those mags, using calipers and a small pair of long-nose "ViseGrip" type locking pliers (adjustable with the big screw on one leg of the pliers). Sure enough, those lips measured wider than the specs called for, so I carefully squeezed the top of the mag body and then the lips until they were the correct distances apart. I was able to improve the feeding but not to perfection. One of these days, I may see if I can get an original Hi Standard mag to see if that works any better. I have heard that somebody makes a tool that will expand a magazine body to maybe fix a narrowed mag, but I don't know where to find that tool or someone who has such a tool.

My gun isn't a really valuable item, so not worth spending lots of gunsmithing money on, but it was one of my Dad's guns and in maybe 98% condition. If I can get it sorted, it may be worth passing along to a son/grandson some day.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
There’s info on line about those mags. Mine all work fine and are OEM.

There were some names mentioned, experts on the subject.

Google it.

DF

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The HS Sport King are very accurate I had the front pushbutton 4" High Standard great pistol and accurate!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, Dirtfarmer. I am finding lots of aftermarket mags online today, but no OEM. I'll keep looking.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Superb pistols..

Irish... by the Grace of God.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Sadly, the barrel I ordered from numrich did not fit, despite saying it would. It seems like the stem and ball are to large and wont engage with the slotted plunger. So, I guess I have to return it and try another one and see if it works?

Or, from what info I read online, find a machinist to turn down the ball?

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I checked over it with a digital micrometer, there's a significant measurement difference between the two barrels that came with it, and the one i ordered from numrich. it's about 0.01~ taller, and my measurements are saying the ball and shaft are both smaller on the new one - it does not at all want to engage with the plunger mechanism.

I'll leave a note for my gunsmith and see what he's worked on them and might know what's up - but I'm not to hopeful on getting this barrel to work.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Im still at a loss on to what red dot to put on this.

Everything worth a damn costs more than the pistol.

Also, there's all of like 2 red dots that are 1MOA.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of cheap ADE dots on rimfires. The more I use them, the more I like them.....

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The Sport King was a lower end of the Hi Standard line, but not the lowest. Any Sport King in nice shape will out shoot a lot of the current .22 semiauto pistols offered, and do so long after newer ones are worn out. Extremely well made, and accurate pistols.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
and sharp

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Got it back from the gunsmith getting threaded and fitted.

put on a high gloss japanese simmons, and a Sparrows

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.