Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by tripod3
Will have to reserve a spot next to the dial phone for my Chrony

Yup. This appears to be a quantum leap, in convenience anyway. I’ve seen some struggle a bit with their Labradars, and one old fart insisted on putting his on a tripod in front of the bench, shutting the line down a couple of times while he futzed around getting it right. The Magneto Speed seems like the best budget option now. Mine was equally easy to use, just a bit more trouble to set up. Results were excellent.

Could’ve bought a gun or scope for what the Garmin cost, but I think it was a wise investment.
That’s not the fault of the device, but user incompetence. The
LR is really not that difficult to set up or use. It’s certainly not perfect, especially from a software/firmware perspective, but it’s miles better than the other options (prior to the Garmin).

And BTW, quantum means tiny. wink

It was miles ahead, but no longer. I’m waiting for someone to explain why or how it’s still better than the Garmin, other than ones out there are likely all paid for, a not inconsiderable thing.
I agree.

noun
quan·​tum | \ ˈkwän-təm \
plural quan​ta \ ˈkwän-tə \
Definition (Entry 1 of 2)
1 a : QUANTITY, AMOUNT
b : PORTION, PART
c : gross quantity : BULK
2 a : any of the very small increments or parcels into which many forms of energy are subdivided
b : any of the small subdivisions of a quantized physical magnitude (such as magnetic moment)

adjective
Definition (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : LARGE, SIGNIFICANT
//a quantum improvement

The size of the Quantity or Amount isn’t specified…….
The “quantity or amount” refers to the fact that quantities are discrete at the atomic and subatomic scale. Referring to “large, significant” is a common enough misuse of the word, that it is widely accepted as legitimate, these days.

I have no idea how long quantum has been used as an adjective, or misused as the case may be, but language isn’t static, and usage wins in the end. After all, the purpose of language is to communicate, not enshrine the past. I have my own small list of “cringe words” that are commonly abused, and don’t get me started on spelling, especially here where misspelling is almost a human right, and someone that uses a dictionary is a hater, or White Supremacist.

If I had a Labradar that worked for me, I wouldn’t replace it, but I’m glad I waited until the Garmin came out. My trips to the range involve toting too much crap as it is.

Anyone who doesn't like the current usage of "quantum leap" can probably blame the early '90s TV show by that name.

More generally, it's sad when a grammar error or incorrect usage of a term gets common enough to become"accepted." That's an education failure because there's no shortage in English for correct ways to express something, other than a couple minor exceptions with pronouns (plural of you being the same as the singular and the lack of gender-less singular personal pronouns, which has led to the common abuse of using plural pronouns for one person which in turn causes much confusion).

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I guess it's time now to sell my ballistic pendulum..... grin
Yeah, anybody want an Oehler33? After almost 40 years it doesn't owe me anything but my new Garmin doesn't use Skyscreens, sets up in less then a minute and practically fits in my shirt pocket. Wow! Stuff sure changes. Of course this from a guy who just retired a truck that was old enough to vote!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Back in stock on the BP website if you have gift cards to use.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Yeah, anybody want an Oehler33? After almost 40 years it doesn't owe me anything but my new Garmin doesn't use Skyscreens, sets up in less then a minute and practically fits in my shirt pocket. Wow! Stuff sure changes. Of course this from a guy who just retired a truck that was old enough to vote!
Probably will have to pay someone to take my CED Millennium Chrono. 🫤

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 222Sako
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Probably will have to pay someone to take my CED Millennium Chrono. 🫤

Don't get rid of your pendulum or other chronos. It's always prudent to have a spare.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned a ProTach chronograph since the 1980s. It works fine, but is a pain to set up. I will be getting one of these. I'm glad I waited so long to upgrade.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by navlav8r
If/when my Labradar goes tango uniform I’ll probably go for the Garmin but I’ve had good service from the L/R.

I’ve read here of guys having problems setting up a L/R but I’ve never had any, never even uttered a cuss word during set up. The Garmin looks like a nice unit but I’m not selling my Labradar…it does whet I need it to do.

When I bought my LR I couldn’t get it to trigger—didn’t have it close enough to the muzzle out of fear of damaging the “delicate” electronics.

Since then the only time it misses shots is with 22cal bullets—it’s averaging a miss 1 out of 14 shots, at least so far.

I paid $359.99 with free shipping for mine 5 years ago.

I’m having trouble understanding how it’s such a chore to carry the LR from the truck to the shooting bench.

I really don’t care if I can carry it in my pocket—it’s not like I stalk through the timber doing the Fudd thing, whipping out my chrono to check if my load velocity is the same as it was a week ago…..

I don’t like the idea of having an integral battery that will most likely have to be replaced at the factory 5 years from now.

Currently a used LR is the best buy in reloading equipment in North America.

When my LR melts down I’ll buy a Garmin.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Don't get rid of your pendulum or other chronos. It's always prudent to have a spare.

I continue to hang on to my M35–in part I’d probably have pay someone to take it, but I also want a backup.

Of course Infinition may just drop the LabRadar and not support it if Garmin runs them out of the market.

Or maybe Infinition will upgrade the LR to read 17 cal bullets AND make it so a guy can add shots to previous shot strings—the latter a glaring error of the LR and one Garmin inexplicably continued.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
[

Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

Yup. This appears to be a quantum leap, in convenience anyway. I’ve seen some struggle a bit with their Labradars, and one old fart insisted on putting his on a tripod in front of the bench, shutting the line down a couple of times while he futzed around getting it right. The Magneto Speed seems like the best budget option now. Mine was equally easy to use, just a bit more trouble to set up. Results were excellent.

Could’ve bought a gun or scope for what the Garmin cost, but I think it was a wise investment.
LR is really not that difficult to set up or use. It’s certainly not perfect, especially from a software/firmware perspective, but it’s miles better than the other options (prior to the Garmin).

It was miles ahead, but no longer. I’m waiting for someone to explain why or how it’s still better than the Garmin, other than ones out there are likely all paid for, a not inconsiderable thing.
I agree.

noun
quan·​tum | \ ˈkwän-təm \
plural quan​ta \ ˈkwän-tə \
Definition (Entry 1 of 2)
1 a : QUANTITY, AMOUNT
b : PORTION, PART
c : gross quantity : BULK
2 a : any of the very small increments or parcels into which many forms of energy are subdivided
b : any of the small subdivisions of a quantized physical magnitude (such as magnetic moment)

adjective
Definition (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : LARGE, SIGNIFICANT
//a quantum improvement

The size of the Quantity or Amount isn’t specified…….
The “quantity or amount” refers to the fact that quantities are discrete at the atomic and subatomic scale. Referring to “large, significant” is a common enough misuse of the word, that it is widely accepted as legitimate, these days.

I have no idea how long quantum has been used as an adjective, or misused as the case may be, but language isn’t static, and usage wins in the end. After all, the purpose of language is to communicate, not enshrine the past. I have my own small list of “cringe words” that are commonly abused, and don’t get me started on spelling, especially here where misspelling is almost a human right, and someone that uses a dictionary is a hater, or White Supremacist.

If I had a Labradar that worked for me, I wouldn’t replace it, but I’m glad I waited until the Garmin came out. My trips to the range involve toting too much crap as it is.

Anyone who doesn't like the current usage of "quantum leap" can probably blame the early '90s TV show by that name.

More generally, it's sad when a grammar error or incorrect usage of a term gets common enough to become"accepted." That's an education failure because there's no shortage in English for correct ways to express something, other than a couple minor exceptions with pronouns (plural of you being the same as the singular and the lack of gender-less singular personal pronouns, which has led to the common abuse of using plural pronouns for one person which in turn causes much confusion).

Since when did quantum mean tiny????

The phrase "quantum leap" does mean and has always meant a change in levels. Not an insignificant thing.
I originally learned the word in 1971 in Freshman High School Science Class in reference to energy states of electrons.
An orbiting electron in an atom makes jumps between energy levels, known as quantum leaps or jumps. The atom creates a photon when an electron moves to a lower energy level and absorbs a photon when an electron moves to a higher energy level or leaves the atom (ionization).

Which is, again, not an insignificant change in energy state. And explains how a luminous/phosphorescent watch display works.

As the word is defined fifty some years later:
1: discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents.

2: an analogous discrete amount of any other physical quantity, such as momentum or electric charge.

3: the unit quantity of acetylcholine released at a neuromuscular junction by a single synaptic vesicle, contributing a discrete small voltage to the measured end-plate potential.

4: required or allowed amount, especially an amount of money legally payable in damages.
"the court must determine the quantum of compensation due"

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Is your middle name by chance Webster ??? Jordan Webster Smith since you are revising the dictionary wink

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How are you folks getting the data from your Garmin chrono into your computer?

Does the Garmin have a decent amount of internal data storage capacity?

I can see a Garmin in my future. But, my Labradar has been pretty good to me the last 6 years, and I don't really need a new chronograph just for the form factor.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

I can see a Garmin in my future. But, my Labradar has been pretty good to me the last 6 years, and I don't really need a new chronograph just for the form factor.

It links directly to the computer you carry in your pocket. Another benefit it has over the Labradar.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don’t like the idea of having an integral battery that will most likely have to be replaced at the factory 5 years from now.

My anal self feels the same way, however batteries have come a long way. I have a Kindle that’s going on 14 and it still charges and works perfectly. Off the top of my head I can’t recall a single rechargeable item I’ve had fail on me in at least a decade.

In a pinch, I suspect that the Garmin will run off a power pack even if the battery dies. I keep one of those with me in the truck anyway.

I agree with your reasoning for the most part, but there’s no denying the convenience the Garmin offers. I’ve watched some folks struggle a bit with their LRs; maybe a “training” problem, or an aiming problem, but I can tell you I plopped my Garmin on the bench, pointed it at the target, and went right to work. It rides in my small range bag along with the other stuff, inside an old compact camera pouch. It’s there if I decide I need it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Since when did quantum mean tiny????

The phrase "quantum leap" does mean and has always meant a change in levels. Not an insignificant thing.
I originally learned the word in 1971 in Freshman High School Science Class in reference to energy states of electrons.
An orbiting electron in an atom makes jumps between energy levels, known as quantum leaps or jumps. The atom creates a photon when an electron moves to a lower energy level and absorbs a photon when an electron moves to a higher energy level or leaves the atom (ionization).

Which is, again, not an insignificant change in energy state. And explains how a luminous/phosphorescent watch display works.

As the word is defined fifty some years later:
1: discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents.

2: an analogous discrete amount of any other physical quantity, such as momentum or electric charge.

3: the unit quantity of acetylcholine released at a neuromuscular junction by a single synaptic vesicle, contributing a discrete small voltage to the measured end-plate potential.

4: required or allowed amount, especially an amount of money legally payable in damages.
"the court must determine the quantum of compensation due"
Wow, what started off as a joke with a bit of truth, has really spiralled into a thread derailment. I guess I’ll address this, since we’re on the topic now.

Not only can electronic transitions correspond to a very small amount of energy (a quantum of energy), depending on the density of states and specific transition, but most would agree that electrons are sub-atomic, and are pretty tiny, as I mentioned. Quanta of energy correspond not only to photons and electronic transitions, but also phonons, spin-state transitions, etc.

I agree that fundamentally, “quantum” simply means a discrete quantity, but it implies and is used to describe physics at the atomic and subatomic scale. Quantum physics was formulated in the early 1900s, where Planck first used it to describe the minimum amount of a given quantity that can exist. While the word may have been misused in the mid-20th century, at least in the context of associating a “quantum leap” with quantum physics, and incorrectly implying a leap that is large, the world is back to using it with its proper implication. My career is in quantum science and technology, and I can assure you that the entire quantum ecosystem uses the word to describe physics at the most fundamental level. That’s the original and the current common usage of the word. As a physicist, I likely take the word more literally and more seriously than most, so maybe it’s just me that is bothered when people use “quantum leap” to describe a large leap.

For fun:
https://archives.cjr.org/language_corner/language_corner_080514.php

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

It links directly to the computer you carry in your pocket. Another benefit it has over the Labradar.
The LR does, too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's already been shown here, and on other boards that an external battery plugs in and works. You naysayers need to come up wth a legitimate gripe about the Garmin. It's kicking ass, and leaving everything else in the rear view mirror.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's already been shown here, and on other boards that an external battery plugs in and works. You naysayers need to come up wth a legitimate gripe about the Garmin. It's kicking ass, and leaving everything else in the rear view mirror.
What I've read so far and heard from others tells me when the Oehler 35 quits on me if it ever does, Garmin is top of the list for sure at the moment. Easy decision.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I didn’t know the Garmin could use an external power source. That is a good thing.

Keep in mind though if one is delivering power from a power source, through a dead battery, then on to the equipment, the power draw is significant.

The advantages I’m seeing to the Garmin is the ability to catch .22 caliber bullets more reliably. But apparently still misses on occasion with small cal bullets.

It also reads higher velocities than the LR.

These advantages are an improvement for sure, but hardly a azz-kickin Quantum Leap.

It’s just once the internet gets on that horse, it’s not long before it can cure cancer—sort’ve like the 6.5 Creedmoor……..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Thanks, but how do I get the data onto my PC? It really doesn't do me that much good being on my phone.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://support.garmin.com/en-HK/?faq=PAkjM4MDQP1sTBF5nXrgI9

Exporting Shot Data from the ShotView App

You can export shot data from the ShotView™ app to a .csv (comma separated values) file format. To perform an export, with a shot session selected:

In the upper right corner of the app select the 3 green dots
Select Export as CSV
You will see the file name of the .csv file to be exported
Select where you want to
- For example you can choose to email the file to yourself or someone else as an attachment
If you have added additional information, for example Cold Bore, Clean Bore, or Notes, that information will be contained in your export as well.

Excel and AFAIK most any spreadsheet program will import csv files into their spreadsheet format.

Garmin doesn't show any way to download files directly from the chronograph or phone app to a PC via USB cable, at least I can't find anything on their website or elsewhere on the net that says so. If someone else can find that then I will happily stand corrected. Hopefully that's something they'll put in a future update of either the chrono or the Shotview app software.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 257_X_50, 222Sako, 257 mag, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,563
Posts18,473,191
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.