-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Brad. That Tensor looks good but it’s tough to ignore the track record and service of TR.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Thanks, Brad. That Tensor looks good but it’s tough to ignore the track record and service of TR.

I wouldn't disagree with that! I think we currently have five here at the house lol, so I'm not in a hurry to "upgrade" any time soon. However, I believe Nemo has a very good CS track record too, and people I know and trust find the Tensor's more comfortable. I'll likely get one just to see for myself.

Jordan, hope you're staying warm up North... we hit -44F this morning here.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
2 years ago i had an old TR with a metal valve start to leak. even after submerging it in the water trough i could not find the leak.

i sent it in and they sent me a brand new thermarest. no charge!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

I wouldn't disagree with that! I think we currently have five here at the house lol, so I'm not in a hurry to "upgrade" any time soon. However, I believe Nemo has a very good CS track record too, and people I know and trust find the Tensor's more comfortable. I'll likely get one just to see for myself.

Thanks again, Brad. I may have to give a Nemo pad a test drive at some point.

The weather forecast was saying a low of -48 C with wind chill here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Ours was just gnarly cold, without windchill. But I know you've had worse!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
But look at that sunshine!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What’s the country of origin for the Nemo pads? R8.5 sounds pretty good, but if they’re MiC I’ll stick with US made Thermarest. I’ve used my old model XTherm Max several times in the -40s and been comfortable. The NXT sounds even better.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wrongside
What’s the country of origin for the Nemo pads? R8.5 sounds pretty good, but if they’re MiC I’ll stick with US made Thermarest. I’ve used my old model XTherm Max several times in the -40s and been comfortable. The NXT sounds even better.

Yeah, I think the Nemo pads are made in Asia. However, Thermarest aren't entirely built in the USA - some are made in Ireland.

Hope you're well my friend!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yeah, I think the Nemo pads are made in Asia. However, Thermarest aren't entirely built in the USA - some are made in Ireland.

Hope you're well my friend!

Thanks for the info Brad! I kinda figured. They aren't exactly waving CoO from the roof tops, and that's usually a clue. <grin>

We're well here! Hope the same for you and yours! Wrapped up my personal big game season last week. Just in time too... It's wickedly cold here. Stay warm! I think we both have a few more days of these temps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ours was just gnarly cold, without windchill. But I know you've had worse!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Anything below -40 is no joke!

Looking at the specs, I would expect the NXT to be more durable, just based on material thickness, but of course that depends on other material-based factors, as well.

Bottom material is 70D versus 40D, and top is 30D versus 20D.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
It looks like you already made your choice, but, for others looking into this, the Exped Dura 8R is a great pad, especially if warmth and durability are paramount and saving weight isn't of much concern.

The Exped pad generally receives excellent reviews, and it incorporates down as an insulating material, which results in a much quieter, non-crinkly pad compared to those that use reflective foil as insulation. I'm not sure how the down is encapsulated into the pad, so moisture could be a concern, but I've not heard that it's been a problem.

I picked one up for 50% off retail just before the holidays but haven't tried it yet.

Here is a link:

Exped Dura 8R

A couple reviews:

HuntingLife.com
GearJunkie

I don’t understand the down pad thing.

Doesn’t it get compressed and lose insulation during storage?

And what about moisture??

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It gains loft when you inflate it.

You inflate it using a pump or bag, and then seal it, so moisture never gets to the down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You inflate it using a pump or bag, and then seal it, so moisture never gets to the down.

The second part makes sense, but the first still doesn’t. I’ve always heard not to store down compressed.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

The second part makes sense, but the first still doesn’t. I’ve always heard not to store down compressed.
Ah, I misunderstood your question a bit.

Yeah, it is stored compressed and its lofting ability likely does degrade over time, but I’ve been using a couple Downmats for several years and I haven’t noticed a change in performance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I don’t understand the down pad thing.

Doesn’t it get compressed and lose insulation during storage?

And what about moisture??

I don't have the answers, but I do have similar concerns. For that reason, I store the pad unrolled and uncompressed, the same as my down sleeping bag. At 50% off, I was willing to give it a try.

The down isn't accessible when the relatively large inflation valve is opened. Perhaps the down is encapsulated between layers of moisture-proof material(???).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What’s the country of origin for the Nemo pads? R8.5 sounds pretty good, but if they’re MiC I’ll stick with US made Thermarest.

I emailed Nemo, their pads are made in Taiwan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What’s the country of origin for the Nemo pads? R8.5 sounds pretty good, but if they’re MiC I’ll stick with US made Thermarest.

Thanks for checking, Brad.

I bet Taiwan is warm right now. Haha.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks for checking, Brad.

I bet Taiwan is warm right now. Haha.

Lol!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank goodness for our geniuses.

Above IQ averages, for sure!

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.