Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
It resembles the Long EZ

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-pilot-among-victims-in-half-moon-bay-plane-crash-source-says

Oakland pilot killed in Half Moon Bay plane crash ID'd by source, 3 others were onboard
By Jesse Gary and KTVU StaffPublished January 16, 2024 8:55AMHalf Moon BayKTVU FOX 2

4 onboard during deadly plane crash in Half Moon Bay
We are learning new information about Sundays deadly plane crash in Half Moon Bay. The NTSB now says there were four people onboard when the plane went down. We have learned the names of two of the victims.

OAKLAND, Calif. - Federal investigators are still trying to determine why a small plane crashed into the ocean off the San Mateo County coastline over the weekend.

National Transportation Safety Board now says there were four people onboard the plane when it went down.

One of the victims killed was a pilot from Oakland, according to a source. The pilot of the plane was identified as Lochie Ferrier.

The source said Ferrier was known in the "experimental aircraft" community. He worked for Beta Technologies, a Vermont-based electronic aerospace company, according to his LinkedIn profile. Social media also shows he worked as a pilot for East Bay-based Magpie Aviation.

The San Mateo County Coroner on Tuesday identified a woman killed onboard as, Emma Willmer-Shiles of San Francisco. The other victims, whose names have not been released, are unaccounted for.

Officials said the weather is making it difficult to find the victims and more of the wreckage. NTSB officials said their investigators are continuing their search for debris, but the rough seas are hindering those efforts.

Sources tell KTVU one of two people killed in a deadly plane crash off the coast of Half Moon Bay on Sunday was a pilot from Oakland.

"There may still be pieces of the aircraft that is floating or slightly submerged and recovery of that would help determine what went wrong," said Professor Ken Gray, a small aircraft pilot.

Gray said the other passengers may be with the pilot or the aircraft itself. "Or they may have been flung free of the debris," he said.

Although officials have not disclosed the owner of the downed Cozy Mark IV — a four-seat light aircraft that can be built from a kit — a source said that it belonged to Ferrier.

The single-engine electric plane crashed near Moss Beach shortly after takeoff on Sunday.

The crash was reported shortly after 7 p.m. by a 911 caller who observed the plane in distress, descending toward the water near Half Moon Bay, said Sgt. Philip Hallworth of the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office.

"They heard the engine sputter, and they kept eyes on the plane until they lost sight of it, just over the horizon. That prompted a search and rescue by the sheriff's office and coast guard," said Hallworth.

On Sunday, the U.S. Coast Guard sent out a diver and the sheriff’s office deployed a drone to search for the downed plane. That night, wreckage from the plane was found near Ross Cove.

The Coast Guard said a helicopter and boat crew looked in a 28-square mile area for nearly 6 hours for victims before calling off the search around mid-morning Monday.

Hours later, a woman’s body was spotted floating in the water by the crew of a commercial fishing boat, the sheriff’s office said in a statement.

The San Mateo County Coroner’s Office believes she was on the plane because of where she was found.

The tide had pushed part of the wreckage onto the shore near the cove, according to Hallworth.

SEE ALSO: Bay Area man among victims killed in Arizona hot air balloon crash

"We’ve been able to recover a good deal of it," Hallworth said. "What we think is the fuselage we physically cannot bring up, so that’s actually still on the beach."

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by
The single-engine electric plane

"They heard the engine sputter,

"What we think is the fuselage we physically cannot bring up, so that’s actually still on the beach."

What kind of moron writes stuff like this? Don't they even read what they write? Journalism is dead.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Apparently, the single best thing you can do to survive your time in aviation is no stay the hell out of experimental and ultra lights.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Interesting. Onlookers reported hearing the engine sputter. That makes no sense to me for an electric motor? Has anyone here been around one of these electric aircraft?

Osky

Edited to add the glide slope on that craft looks like it would be worse than an MU-2. Battery weight and four passengers on board. I could be wrong.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 01/17/24.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would anyone Experiment with aircraft crashes?

We've pretty much known how that goes for 100 years.

Fall down, go boom,
meet St Pete.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know nothing about aircraft especially experimental aircraft, but I don't know why they don't glide with an engine failure or be designed where they would.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know why they call it an electric plane. The battery on the Tesla weighs 1,200 pounds, far more than this aircraft would weigh. I can see electric trains, in fact all the freight trains today are electric, but I can't see an electric airplane.

This guy built the same airplane and it burns gasoline.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Osky
Interesting. Onlookers reported hearing the engine sputter. That makes no sense to me for an electric motor? Has anyone here been around one of these electric aircraft?

Osky

Edited to add the glide slope on that craft looks like it would be worse than an MU-2. Battery weight and four passengers on board. I could be wrong.

Osky

Maybe it makes a buzzing sound?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Fall down, go boom,
meet St Pete.
The way Gov't regulations are written, unless there is a huge market for a new airplane (Think commercial fleets like Delta), it isn't going to be profitable to go through the process of getting it approved. Most of the "experimental" aircraft have been in production for the last 30 years or more. You'd never get something like a Piper Cub approved these days.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The photo in the OP is of a Cozy III, and was taken directly from the Wiki article about the Cozy group of aircraft. LINK

It is NOT an electric aircraft, despite what an ignorant reporter says.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I don't know why they call it an electric plane. The battery on the Tesla weighs 1,200 pounds, far more than this aircraft would weigh. I can see electric trains, in fact all the freight trains today are electric But I can't see an electric airplane.

But only after they create the electricity with onboard diesel powered generators.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The pilot must have been looking for John Deutschendorf's spirit animal.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Apparently, the single best thing you can do to survive your time in aviation is no stay the hell out of experimental and ultra lights.

Or a Boeing 737 max.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Fall down, go boom,
meet St Pete.
The way Gov't regulations are written, unless there is a huge market for a new airplane (Think commercial fleets like Delta), it isn't going to be profitable to go through the process of getting it approved. Most of the "experimental" aircraft have been in production for the last 30 years or more. You'd never get something like a Piper Cub approved these days.

Right across your head.

Experimental aircraft crashes,
As opposed to standard aircraft crashes.

Who wants to (purposely) experimentally, crash?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SBTCO
The pilot must have been looking for John Deutschendorf's spirit animal.

Ouch.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting video on the plane and how he built it. One question, where did he hide the pee bottle?
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbob
I know nothing about aircraft especially experimental aircraft, but I don't know why they don't glide with an engine failure or be designed where they would.

An interesting aspect of crashes is the pilots giving in to dying. It seems common sense to maintain control of the aircraft and fly it until you can't, but many just give up. Some try to fly but stall too soon and nose in from 50-100ft. I don't know. Maybe it's the lack of practicing short and off field maneuvers. I'd like to think I could survive just about anything by getting to stall speed feet above whatever I hit, but who knows.

Not saying that was an issue here, but many fatal crashes could have been flown to the ground instead of impacting out of control.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I don't know why they call it an electric plane. The battery on the Tesla weighs 1,200 pounds, far more than this aircraft would weigh. I can see electric trains, in fact all the freight trains today are electric, but I can't see an electric airplane.

This guy built the same airplane and it burns gasoline.

The freight trains have electric traction motors, powered by DIESEL engines. Not "Clean,Green Energy".

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, I am aware of that. Big diesel engines that power the generators.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Canard type airplanes like this one are notorious for needing relatively high maneuvering speeds for flight surfaces to work appropriately, especially at landing. If you lose power in the air, from what I have read and talked to pilots, you would need substantial elevation to achieve flight speed to maneuver the plane dead stick before landing. Apparently, this did not happen in this case. Or, the pilot wasn't practiced in emergency dead stick control of this type of plane? I guess we'll never know exactly what happened unless one of the passengers can relate the events accurately.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 3,437 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.