Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Are there any states in the lower 48 where it is illegal for a seller to ship ammo to a private buyer?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
california and new york .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Add Mass, IL (They need a FOID)
Likely Jersey and Conn

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes
Check a retailer website. See where they will and won't ship. CA, NJ, NY come to mind but I'm not an authority on it. A lot of lucky residents in those f'd up states have to pick at dealer, with background check.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Buyers should be responsible for what they order. Do sellers need to be concerned about shipping to prohibited states? I'm asking to learn for myself.

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Likely Jersey and Conn

Definitely NOT illegal to ship ammo to IL at all. I get ammo from multiple vendors shipped right to my door. FOID is required, that's a quick text or email with a picture...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Likely Jersey and Conn

Definitely NOT illegal to ship ammo to IL at all. I get ammo from multiple vendors shipped right to my door. FOID is required, that's a quick text or email with a picture...

Noted, Thank you!

Do you know if it is valid for an Individual to do the same?

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's not illegal to Mass. either. All that's needed is a copy of LTC. I get ammo from Midway, Powder Valley, MidSouth and others. Not a problem.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
You can ship to a household in CA as long as the buyer has their FFL/COE.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dinny
Buyers should be responsible for what they order. Do sellers need to be concerned about shipping to prohibited states? I'm asking to learn for myself.
Criminals by stuff all the time. They don't pay much attention to the laws. IMO not worth the risk. A legal battle you could lose or go broke fighting.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting can of worms. UPS requires a special symbol be attached to the box. So if UPS delivers the ammo to a resident of a state where it is a no no are they held responsible? Or do they hold the purchaser liable?
Wouldn't seem right to go after the seller/shipper. Especially if they are not a resident of the state.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have had many deliveries of ammo and it was thru UPS and had the proper signage on it , was delivered with no issues

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will not sell ammunition to anyone in NY after a pretty quick internet search that reveals that I am not a registered seller of ammunition in that state and do not want to be the test case based on what someone else does.

LHS

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by LHS905
I will not sell ammunition to anyone in NY after a pretty quick internet search that reveals that I am not a registered seller of ammunition in that state and do not want to be the test case based on what someone else does.

LHS
I always respect each person decision

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Are there any states in the lower 48 where it is illegal for a seller to ship ammo to a private buyer?

Here in the land of fruits and nuts...it's illegal for me to receive it. It's not up to you as a resident of TN to be aware of, or subject to, Calif law. It's in the Calif DOJ FAQ website. Bottom line, you go to the bank...I go to jail.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting can of worms. UPS requires a special symbol be attached to the box. So if UPS delivers the ammo to a resident of a state where it is a no no are they held responsible? Or do they hold the purchaser liable?
Wouldn't seem right to go after the seller/shipper. Especially if they are not a resident of the state.
The "special symbol" isn't unique to shipments of ammunition so it's not an absolute indicator the package contains ammunition.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Here in the land of fruits and nuts...it's illegal for me to receive it. It's not up to you as a resident of TN to be aware of, or subject to, Calif law. It's in the Calif DOJ FAQ website. Bottom line, you go to the bank...I go to jail.

This is the correct answer. Like California Washington has decided to restrict a myriad of items and impose importation restrictions on their residents. It is not up to residents of free states to be educated on the insane rules and regulations of Washington. If I purchase ammo from you in the classifieds and instruct you to ship it to me in WA then I could be in trouble of some kind. I suppose our AG could try to prosecute a non resident but don’t know how or what for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The New York law says that the unregistered ammunition seller is subject to a $1000 fine.

LHS

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This should be accurate and they tend to err on the side of caution if regulations are under construction or decision. https://rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition-regulations/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.