Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by kolofardos
This little chunk has been in my backpack for years and smells like turpentine. Some shavings never fail to start a fire, even with damp kindling.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Damn dude, do you carry your own rocks to make a fire ring too??

LOL. It only weighs a few ounces, and it's become a bit of good luck charm.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lighter'd is what the old folks used to call it around here. A contraction of lighter wood, I believe. You can have a lighter'd stump or a lighter'd knot. Or a board that is "pure lighter'd".

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
some years back, lightning killed one of the pine trees in my back yard. The stump has been an excellent source of fat wood ever since. I cut a few slabs off this morning. These will be split into pencil sized sticks. They are THE best thing for starting a fire place or fire pit.
'[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mannlicher;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope you all aren't getting the frosty weather down there and that all in your life are well.

Thanks for that photo sir, my goodness that's interesting!

We get what we call "fat wood" in coniferous trees that have had some damage to them, for instance if it's been torqued in a heavy wind or snow load.

Even then, it's usually Doug Fir that gives us anything resembling the sap saturation that your entire stump has and to be clear it'll only be a very small portion of the tree. It's usually in the first say 6' up too, though very occasionally higher up, but it's smaller seams of pitch filled fiber then.

It's rare enough up here that when I get enough to make gifts to people it's a much appreciated one.

Like my friend to the west Kolofardos, I always carry some fat wood in my pack, along with another half dozen ways to start a fire.

When I'm teaching the Survival and First Aid night during the annual Hunter Safety class each spring at the gun club, I tell the students that they'll find me from a satellite thermal image because I intend to have that big a fire burning!

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by killerv
While it maybe a rumor, I've always heard its iffy to start indoor fires with because of buildup of soot and possible creosote in the chimney.

I wouldn't worry about using it....been using it to start fires in my wood stove for over 50 years...from late to November until April usually my stove never needs any to get the fire burning good...
Always clean the pipe out ever spring ready for the next fall....be lucky to get 1/4 of a coffee can of creosote out of a 24' pipe every spring....

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I probably leave a hefty truck load of fat wood in the bush every year, my friend cuts it into strips about 5" long and puts them into a small box with a label, and sells it for extra $$$ to campers etc....

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We call it gnarly wood at our Mt Adams elk camp. Good stuff!

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
We get what we call "fat wood" in coniferous trees that have had some damage to them, for instance if it's been torqued in a heavy wind or snow load.

Even then, it's usually Doug Fir that gives us anything resembling the sap saturation that your entire stump has and to be clear it'll only be a very small portion of the tree. It's usually in the first say 6' up too, though very occasionally higher up, but it's smaller seams of pitch filled fiber then.

It's rare enough up here that when I get enough to make gifts to people it's a much appreciated one.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Interesting that you feel it’s fairly rare in your locale. Due south of you in Eastern Washington is full of fatwoood stumps. I can usually find a nice stump within about 10 minutes of looking. Sections of forest that have old logging or thinning activity are gold mines

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
This little chunk has been in my backpack for years and smells like turpentine. Some shavings never fail to start a fire, even with damp kindling.

Damn dude, do you carry your own rocks to make a fire ring too??

LOL. It only weighs a few ounces, and it's become a bit of good luck charm.

Well, good luck is important.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have piles of fat lighter chunks, and a few piles of lighter stumps from when I cleared some food plots. We burn lighter in the fire pit unless I'm cooking steaks over the coals.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
hook a chain to that stump and pull it... lots more under the dirt

LAFFIN’……right, pull it up….with a D9…..
A club I was in down LA way had a lot of cutover from fresh to 20 years old. One spot had a log road with a 3 ft bank on one side. Was a rich pine stump a couple feet back from the edge looking like it would be an easy grab. Had a 87 Chevy short bed manual trans and some 12.50 x 33 murders on it. Hooked a chain up and eased forward and did an easy tighten up to 4 wheels spinning. Backed up and gave it a good jerk. Same result. Gave it a too hard jerk that shook the ground so I thought. Far as I could tell I didn’t even loosen the dirt around that stump. It’s probly still there if somebody didn’t burn it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Fat lighter here in GA. The very best is from longleaf pines which are native to us here in SW GA.

A hundred years ago, houses were built using that source of lumber and siding. Years ago, our next door neighbor knocked over his kerosene heater , igniting his longleaf pine constructed house. I was a volunteer firefighter back then and watched the entire house burn slap down to the foundation in 10 minutes. He lost everything. He ran out in his underwear and that was all he had left to his name. I ran to my house, got him a sweatshirt and sweatpants, socks and tennis shoes so he wouldn’t have at stand there looking embarrassed. Once a house like that gets going, it’s hell to get it put out.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The southern version of pine kindlin is usually yellow pine, knotty pine some call it. Used to see older homes with knotty pine dens and walls and such. That and some log home builders make round logs from it. Else wise it’s fit only for drippin sap all over and dropping tons of small cones and dead limbs. If you can find a big one 12” or more diameter that has died standing and is starting to lose bark and rotten wood off the trunk you’ll most likely have enough fire starter to last a long time.

The limbs that have gone rich and fallen are called pine knots. Like the one kept in the feller’s backpack. The longer ones torch knots, having somewhat of a handle away from the trunk running to a fat base where they joined the trunk. But the area starting 6 or 8 feet above the ground and down is the treasure. And the stump below ground is at least as rich. Problem is recovering it.

Paper companies in the south harvest Loblolly stumps in reclaimed cutover for turpentine production if rich stumps are there in sufficient number. They don’t seem as rich as yellow pine but way rich enough. I’ve seen open 18 wheeler trailers full to the top with them. But they have the heavy equipment to do the harvest.

Prowlin the woods up on the Blue Ridge now and white pine is the only pine from around 2500’ up. Quite a few knots from dead pines and blow downs but the trunks and stumps aren’t nearly as rich as flatland southern breeds. But here there are a multitude of low pine limbs in thicker stands that have died and remain attached to the tree. All the solid ones will have some rich wood toward the center. Great kindlin. But nothing beats those old yellow pine.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
We have a "Pine Torch Church" historical site here in the Bankhead NF. Supposedly, all these dirt-poor folks had to light nighttime services were long Fatwood splinters. The church still stands with holders for the torches all along the walls.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not something you’ll often, if ever, find around here! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Here in Mississippi, it’s called “lighter knots” or fat wood. Smells like turpentine products and very useful for starting fire. One lighter knot will do the work of many small sticks of kindling. A local Boy Scout Pack would hit our deer camp property to search for the lighter knot stumps. They would harvest it, use honeysuckle vine or raffia as a tie for bundles to sale as a fundraiser for their gear. The Scouts liked nothing better than attack tree stumps using a hatchet. Wear your old duds tho, the rosin makes a sticky mess. A cheap fundraiser project. Free for the taking and the boundless energy of 10 year olds using sharp objects to destroy stuff. Good training for future Marines. They used to make dynamite from the stumps too.

Last edited by carrollco; 01/18/24.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My folks always said " rich pine" or " magic pine"

B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Lighter knot… that stump is really rich with rosin.

Same here. Must be a Mississippi thing. That's where our hunting camp is. Bogue Chitto.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I lit the wood stove this morning with some fat lighter, a piece the size of a pencil. Dehydrated gasoline.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Lighter Pine" here.

I had some acreage cleared up by track-hoe and dozer a few years ago and the operators were pretty impressed by how quickly the huge debris piles (each the size of city bus) burned up. Turns out they had scooped up all my lighter pine stumps I'd been collecting when they were pushing stumps and trees for the brush piles. Big lighter pine stumps and diesel will indeed burn up slash piles quick.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I saw when I woke this AM...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.