Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mossy;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope you're keeping either out of the weather or warm enough as of late.

Yesterday's fun here was 4 hours on the little 4x4 diesel tractor plowing out our rural driveway along with a couple of the neighbor's and the rural mailbox. I know we needed some snowpack, but would have been okay if it would have stayed just a tad higher up.

Indeed I am not sure if it's the wind conditions or because we're dry here, though you all are no rain forest for sure either.

If you don't mind, what trees do you find it in down there?

We've logged Ponderosa in the yard over the years and that gets turned into firewood for the shop. For the house until a few years back when the brain trust in Ministry of Forests decided we couldn't use Western Larch for firewood - they said too many idiots were cutting live trees in winter, not sure - but that and Doug Fir are what most of the firewood was for the past 32 odd years.

A couple years back I started to bring down a load or two of Lodgepole as it lights up easier than the Doug Fir and when a stick or two is thrown in with a big nighttime block, it keeps it going a wee bit better.

If I've run into fat wood with a Ponderosa, I cannot recall doing so.

Also I've never found any in the Lodgepole wood.

Usually in the Doug Fir as mentioned it'll be near the base of the tree and not lots of it either, just a vein or two at most.

Thanks again for the post, it's fun to learn.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by hanco
We call that heart pine down here. I piped natural gas to my fireplace to start logs. I welded a piece of 1/2 pipe with holes about every two inches. It’s easy to start a fire, to hell with all that trouble starting a fire, smoking up the house.

I just use a propane torch with one of those piezo starter heads...... smile

I largely gave up on matches a couple decades back when they changed the "strike anywhere" head formula, but not the name... Bic for the win out back-packing.

Lots of beetle-killed spruce around here right now. Birch bark is also excellent, even wet it will burn. More or less.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by las
We call that heart pine down here. I piped natural gas to my fireplace to start logs. I welded a piece of 1/2 pipe with holes about every two inches. It’s easy to start a fire, to hell with all that trouble starting a fire, smoking up the house.

I just use a propane torch with one of those piezo starter heads...... smile

I largely gave up on matches a couple decades back when they changed the "strike anywhere" head formula, but not the name... Bic for the win out back-packing.

Lots of beetle-killed spruce around here right now. Birch bark is also excellent, even wet it will burn. More or less.

Propane weed burner works great in camp. Make a stack of logs, even wet, fire up the burner underneath and you get a roaring fire in a minute. It feels wrong, but so convenient
grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Sycamore
pitch pine we call it!

Also known as trading stock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my shooting benches is made of pitch pine. Rot is terrified of that stuff. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Lighter wood" here in eastern N.C. Some people call it "fat wood" in eastern N.C., but the majority of us call it "lighter wood".
"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JakeM78
pitch pine we call it!

One big difference, yours is black and sticks out of a hole in a bathroom stall.

LMAO!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lightered was all we ever called it. Heart pine, fat wood, pitch pine, it's all the same. It's the heart of an old pine tree where the rosin collected in the dead wood in the center. Today's pine trees are all harvested as sapwood but in the old days before we cut down all the old stuff it was mostly heart pine. My house was built in 1892 and is mostly heart pine (God I hope it doesn't ever catch fire). You can barely drive a nail into it, it's hard as woodpecker lips. A couple of old doors easily weigh twice what they would if they were made out of modern pine lumber. If you go into the attic it smells like the day it was cut, it's almost intoxicating how good it smells.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Red Pine is the best source of fatwood here in MI. The base of the dead lower branches is full of pitch. We found a bonanza in an old rotting Red Pine that had fallen over. That stump in the OP's post makes my heart skip a beat. Fine fatwood scrapings ignite easily with a fire steel. I'm a fatwood junkie and can hardly pass a good tree without harvesting some.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YES! Called pitch wood here. In this region, big old western larch is a most dependable source. Some Doug Fir, but they don't get really large around here. Many fire wood cutters leave that end of the tree in the woods due to its extreme weight. When I drop a tree, I start on that end and rounds can weigh a couple hundred lbs.

Often such will gum up ones saw, and one has to shift to some cleaner wood for a bit to clear the chain. Live trees will literally bleed quarts of pitch, but we're not allowed to take those. Season it for a couple years and one only has to threaten it with a match to light it off.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My neighbor had a tray looking thing made out of cast iron. It looked kinda like a cornbread muffin pan but small squares that had porous rocks in the squares. He poured kerosene in the rocks, put it under grate to start his fireplace. It burned for a while before kerosene was burned up.

I remember those. A friend of my Dad had one and if i remember correctly the porous rock was lava rock.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We call it pine lighter around home. I’ll be using some here in a bit to get the wood stove going.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My lineman buddy brings me old, non treated cedar power poles that they remove.... it's crazy dry and burns hotter than hell.....couple small pieces under the almond or oak firewood and hit it with the plumbers torch for about 20 seconds and done.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dwayne,

Ponderosa stumps are the easiest to find. Mostly because the forests in Central and Eastern Washington contain so many of them.

I just look for old rottenish looking stumps with “fingers” of less rotted wood coming from the top of the stump. The fingers contain the resin that helps prevents rot.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
yes, i can smell it

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JakeM78
pitch pine we call it!

blah blah blah

Stoolhead by any other name, would stink as much.

You out yourself and you can't help it. After only 3 months.

Must be lonely down there in BFT.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Mossy;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope you're keeping either out of the weather or warm enough as of late.

Yesterday's fun here was 4 hours on the little 4x4 diesel tractor plowing out our rural driveway along with a couple of the neighbor's and the rural mailbox. I know we needed some snowpack, but would have been okay if it would have stayed just a tad higher up.

Indeed I am not sure if it's the wind conditions or because we're dry here, though you all are no rain forest for sure either.

If you don't mind, what trees do you find it in down there?

We've logged Ponderosa in the yard over the years and that gets turned into firewood for the shop. For the house until a few years back when the brain trust in Ministry of Forests decided we couldn't use Western Larch for firewood - they said too many idiots were cutting live trees in winter, not sure - but that and Doug Fir are what most of the firewood was for the past 32 odd years.

A couple years back I started to bring down a load or two of Lodgepole as it lights up easier than the Doug Fir and when a stick or two is thrown in with a big nighttime block, it keeps it going a wee bit better.

If I've run into fat wood with a Ponderosa, I cannot recall doing so.

Also I've never found any in the Lodgepole wood.

Usually in the Doug Fir as mentioned it'll be near the base of the tree and not lots of it either, just a vein or two at most.

Thanks again for the post, it's fun to learn.

All the best.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Pondo is about all we get. Big knots, or sometimes a tree will blow over and die. (shallow soil, high bedrock, wet ground, windstorm)

bottom side or bottom limbs (after falling) will be pitchy after a few years.

Just sappy when fresh.

If old enough most of tree will rot away and only the pitchy parts left.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Some Doug Fir, but they don't get really large around here.

In the Cascades the old growth fir would rot away sometimes leaving a core of black pitch 2’ in diameter. The stuff was very heavy and brittle. It was as hard as glass and all my fires were started with a bic lighter. The pine pitch was really good stuff to get whenever I was over east and I always kept a couple of 6” slabs a 1/2” thick in my hunting pack.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Had a natural gas starter in the first house wife and I had. Pretty sure you could burn watermelons in such a fireplace.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hardway
My lineman buddy brings me old, non treated cedar power poles that they remove.... it's crazy dry and burns hotter than hell.....couple small pieces under the almond or oak firewood and hit it with the plumbers torch for about 20 seconds and done.

Those work great as well as old cedar fence posts. You can split that stuff with a butter knife!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 46 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,844
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.