Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have a 1909 Argentine Mauser action I will be using for a custom build down the road. Not sure that it needs to be heat treated but probably wouldn't hurt. Anyone have any recommendations on for someone who would take on such a job? Don't really need color case hardening, just a normal case hardening / heat treatment.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerstalker
don't

Correct

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Woodhits

Sadly, about the only game in town these days.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jkob
Originally Posted by deerstalker
don't

Correct

Why not? I used a 1909 action to build a 257 Roberts, had it heat treated by PacMet .

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Craigster
Why not? I used a 1909 action to build a 257 Roberts, had it heat treated by PacMet .

They have carburised surfaces which leaves the internal metal resilient to take shock...if you want modern manufacturing buy a modern action.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
[quote=Craigster]

They have carburised surfaces which leaves the internal metal resilient to take shock.

So does that mean that the metal is already in good enough condition where it wouldn’t become more soft and malleable over time?? Meaning there is no reason to do it and waste money?? I have heard that certain people claim there is lug setback on these and that due to use over a long period of time, the metal
Can become soft and not hold up, as one would recommend heat treating the metal so it can hold up and withstand any possible “wear and tear” overtime…

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think it depends on who made your action. some were made in Germany and some in Argentina under license by Mauser., if I understand it correctly. It's the ones made in Argentina that might be problematic.

My custom .280 Rem. is based on a 1909 Argentine Mauser by DWM in Germany. The action and bold were Rockwell tested and passed with flying colors. I run some quite hot loads in that rifles, some of which snap at the heels of a .280AI. Think 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam at 2910 FPS, half inch accuracy, primers show little to no flattening and brass life is excellent.
PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 01/20/24.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well worth reading:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11435788/Re:_Mauser_Heat_Treatment

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a DWM (German-made) 1909 with the original 7.65x53mm barrel (I removed it myself) that had .006" of setback. I posted the photos on AR several year ago. I had the action annealed, recut the lug seats and then sent it to Blanchard to be recaurburized before I fit and chambered a new barrel. People will argue over this until they're blue in the face but, for my guns, I'm in the re-heat treat camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They have carburised surfaces which leaves the internal metal resilient to take shock...if you want modern manufacturing buy a modern action.

Stuart is correct. Many misunderstandings regarding this issue. A metal that is heat treated to a very hard temper throughout is more prone to shattering and catastrophic failure.
The Mausers have a surface hardening with a softer core that can stretch before grenading. They are safe by mechanical and metallurgical design.
That being said if you push them too hard you can have lug set back.
I have a 1909 in 338 mag. , 240 Wby mag and 220 swift and I push them to modern velocities and have experienced no lug set back.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Have you compared the carburising of a 1909 vs that which PacMet used to do? Big difference.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What is the difference? Asking because I don't know.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When speaking about Mausers and "heat treatment", they are machined from mild steel and cannot be heat treated through out the receiver. They are case hardened. Case hardening is a very thin layer of hardness, but it works.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the difference? Asking because I don't know.

The difference between the 1909's carburising and that of PacMet, and now Blanchards I suppose?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
be prepared for a little sticker shock, Blanchard is now up to $200 for 1 action and $100 for each additional. I put off sending one in that did in fact have lug set back, and the price nearly doubled in 18 months.

I'm sending 3 in myself as soon as the 3rd gets out of jail and then gets back from the smith school getting the barrel removed

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There seems to be some confusion here between heat treatment and recarburising.

The first is used to harden/temper carbon steel all the way through whilst the second is basically deep case hardening of a low carbon steel

And I am not sure how one would go about rockwell testing a surface hardened steel as the stylus will generally go through/deform the carburised surface and give a false reading. And testing under a carburised action is pointless as it is not a carburised surface.

Run a fine file over the carburised surface and see if it skids off...if it doesn't, then go get it recarburised.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
be prepared for a little sticker shock, Blanchard is now up to $200 for 1 action and $100 for each additional. I put off sending one in that did in fact have lug set back, and the price nearly doubled in 18 months.

I'm sending 3 in myself as soon as the 3rd gets out of jail and then gets back from the smith school getting the barrel removed

For recarburising a desirable action that is cheap as chips, and definitely worth it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been controversial for as long as I remember.

I even corresponded a few times with Ludwig Olsen back in the late '80's, early '90's & have that info somewhere in my files.........can't remember if he was in favor of it or not, w/o re-reading that info.

But for my own personal use I've had it done on a couple & a couple not.

I keep a close eye on any change in HS on those guns & have seen no difference between the ones that Blanchard processed & the ones not done (1909 & VZ24).

But they are not range toys & don't get shot all that much but they do get loads that are supposed to be around 60K PSI.

PO Ackley also did some testing as reported in one of his books about how much it took to blow up a couple of different Mauser actions, one a Spandau, don't remember the other one, but it took a LOT of Unique to blow them up. More than I would have thought.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (907brass, AKislander, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.