Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Was looking to get a couple of new straps to put in the truck/UTV and on Google search, I see a lot of these kinetic ropes and soft shackles. It would appear to be a better solution. Anyone have some first hand experience?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No first hand experience but here's a testing video.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Been using Bubba ropes and soft shackles for years. No complaints. It’s rare to see old school straps or chains used anymore. Soft shackles are stronger and safer than hard shackles, but can be damaged if used wrong.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soft shackles are great. Got about 3 sets in my truck right now, unfortunately still running old school jerk straps. Been looking at the kinetics, just haven't sprung on them yet

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have had a couple of Bubba Ropes in my truck for several years now and have never used them, and I hope I don't have too. The reason I have two is because these things come in various sizes and I am told you need to match the size to the vehicle weight you are pulling. The rope must stretch to effectively use the kinetic energy on the pull and a rope that is too large will not have the kinetic effect that is optimal for extraction. At least that is what I read during my research.

I have a 7/8"x30 foot rope for pulling lighter vehicles around 3500 to 5000#'s and a 1 1/4 rope for pulling vehicles weighing over 5000#'s. My truck is a Crew Cab F250 Super Duty and weighs around 8000#.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Tag

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
30 foot probably makes the most sense, better to have some extra than not enough?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duckster
30 foot probably makes the most sense, better to have some extra than not enough?

If you are only going to have one, that's a a good length. You can always attach both ends to the same vehicle to shorten it to 15ft. The one thing I've found with 30ft is that it is good for a straight, short pull. It's a bit too long on tight trails. It's also easier to get run over the longer it is. The ropes are extremely tough until they get a tire on them under pressure and then they're toast.

Having had someone ruin one of my soft shackles and run over one of my ropes, I now insist that all recoveries are with the stuck vehicles gear. Ropes are too expensive to replace.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a force multiplier using another vehicle to get a moving start, then yes, I can see an advantage in a braded rope like that. But another vehicle isn’t usually around when I get stuck, so I’m on my own. A one ton chain fall with about 10’ of chain and another length of chain or no stretch rope is usually enough to get me going again. Trees are everywhere here and tying off to a tree trunk works well. Would some elasticity with one of those ropes be any advantage in that situation?

Last edited by Windfall; 01/19/24.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
As a force multiplier using another vehicle to get a moving start, then yes, I can see an advantage in a braded rope like that. But another vehicle isn’t usually around when I get stuck, so I’m on my own. A one ton chain fall with about 10’ of chain and another length of chain or no stretch rope is usually enough to get me going again. Trees are everywhere here and tying off to a tree trunk works well. Would some elasticity with one of those ropes be any advantage in that situation?

If you are by yourself it's quite advantageous. You put a kinetic load on it and then get back in your rig, ease out, rather than pulling all the way.

I use a mix of gear. Soft shackles are great but not on sharp stuff. Old school shackles, and even a chain still have a place. Depending on use, wire winch rope is still viable.
The key is understanding the limitations of your gear.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yankum https://yankum.com only ones ive found actually made in USA...Idaho i believe
GREAT product GREAT people to deal with...no affiliation just a happy customer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
Yankum https://yankum.com only ones ive found actually made in USA...Idaho i believe

Great company and products. I have a 30' and 10' and 4 soft shackles.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey

Bubba ropes have always claimed to be made in the USA. No reason to doubt them. At least as much as anyone else.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Good information. Going to have to try a set.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.