S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Hilarious!
Only azzholes would think aggravating people is hilarious. You have painted yourself.

I can see both sides. On the one hand, you have no idea how or why that person came to be on the streets. Many are mentally ill. Some just can't afford rent.

On the other hand, they can be aggravating, especially when they move into public spaces like parks and make them unusable by the people who pay taxes for the maintenance of those spaces. They need to be run out of there and if drones are a tool to do that I'm all for it.

But not just for some guy's amusement.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Our game wardens here in Texas use drones quite a bit. I always do everything possible to stay legal, but it's annoying as hell to be fishing or duck hunting while the damn thing is buzzing around watching you.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was told in 2022 by a deputy that shooting one down was illegal. Federal offense through the FAA as they are considered aircraft. Prior to the conversation with the deputy, about 3 weeks, we were sitting outside on the patio and someone hovered one over us about 100 feet. I had an idea who it was. We had some neighbors about 1/2 mile away that had bought a house for weekend use. They lived in St. Louis. The drone was around until I went inside and got my rifle and laid it on the table on the patio.

Another weekend and the city dudes were back and my wife came to the shop telling me the drone had been hovering over her at tree top level. That tree is no more than 30 feet tall. My temper is usually in control but not this time. I drove over to the house where I figured this was coming from and he had just landed it. I told him to keep it away from my family or it would get shot down. He threatened to call the sheriff but I beat him to it. The deputy went to see this prick first and he informed the deputy he could do whatever he pleased. That was the wrong thing to do. The LEOs can get a person's license revoked if they see a need and he let the young prick know that. Then he came to see me. Our visit went excellent. He was understanding and let me know to call him if it happened again. It hasn't. I asked him if anyone has shot one down yet and he suggested I not be the first.

Needless to say I despise drones when folks like this have them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I asked him if anyone has shot one down yet and he suggested I not be the first.

probably sage advice

but my question would be - at what point is it considered trespassing?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lslite
Our game wardens here in Texas use drones quite a bit. I always do everything possible to stay legal, but it's annoying as hell to be fishing or duck hunting while the damn thing is buzzing around watching you.

I want legislation for it to stop. At some point you'll be getting pulled over by drones to check your license - you won't interact with a human. Drones will be scanning for expired tags and emissions control , god know what else. The genie will be out of the bottle once AI becomes SOP

Last edited by KFWA; 01/20/24.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Somebody somewhere makes a jammer that would interrupt the signal from the controller--cause the thing to fly off somewhere and never been seen again.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KFWA
I asked him if anyone has shot one down yet and he suggested I not be the first.

probably sage advice

but my question would be - at what point is it considered trespassing?
No such thing for a drone, according to the law.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In 1972, the US Supreme Court invalidated the vagrancy laws across the nation. Prior to that, vagrants were routinely rousted by the police, and eventually (if it persisted) arrested, charged, and sentenced. Thanks Supreme Court.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wish they would beat that drone guy's ass to a pulp.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 01/21/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
No. I regret not finding out who the pilot was, and having them watch as I stamped their little toy into the ground as we waited for the sheriff to arrive. My thoughts were not quite so clear and measured at the time though.

I am thinking of taking the 870 with some 3", #2, bismuth loads with me on future range trips.

The point, I guess is that if a "normal" person in their right mind, doing perfectly legal activities, has the thoughts occuring to them that I did that day, imagine what a crack head, mentally ill person, or criminal might be tempted to do, when discovering they're being spied on.

Those folks who use these little gadgets to mess with people for laughs might one day get something they don't want.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
After catching back up on this thread, I see that blasting a drone out of the sky may not be a smart move! Looks like one more of our rights, (privacy), taken away from us by our government. But it's for our own good, I'm sure.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by KFWA
get used to this idea. A country that passed the Patriot Act is a country that will buy thousands of drones to monitor its citizens. It won't just be crackheads.

Zoning department, BATF, Department of Agriculture, EPA, etc - if they can think of a way to keep you in line, they'll use it.

Now fill up a country with millions of future criminals - and the citizens will be begging for it.
I’m sure a lot of Codes dept have already put them to use.
codes depts have been using sat pics for a number of years now.

our county allows 120 sq ft sheds to be built/placed without permits. Easy enough for them to check that by roof size. those sheds also don't count towards property tax valuation.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slugflinger
After catching back up on this thread, I see that blasting a drone out of the sky may not be a smart move! Looks like one more of our rights, (privacy), taken away from us by our government. But it's for our own good, I'm sure.
you basically have no right to privacy in public areas.

but, perhaps a drone flying over, hovering, zipping closer, moving in and out from you as in the shot of the guy at the C store in the first video rises to the level of harassment?

Last i heard, while one does not have an expectation of privacy, one does have a right to be free from being harassed?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A suppressed subsonic .22 rimfire from inside a building with a window open would be hard to trace if it happened to put a hole through the vitals of a drone. If the drone happened to fall on private property after developing a "mechanical malfunction" it could be disposed of like any other windblown debris than ends up in someone's yard.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You could always set up a clay pigeon thrower next time you're testing loads out there and bring the 870 along. With the ear protection on, you couldn't hear a drone and if it just happened to fly into your zone of fire........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

You could always set up a clay pigeon thrower next time you're testing loads out there and bring the 870 along. With the ear protection on, you couldn't hear a drone and if it just happened to fly into your zone of fire........

hmmmmn???

that sounds plausible.

could lead to a slap on the wrist with a good atty. One who might even say "but your honor, what kind of fool flies their drone over a shooting range?"

In it is contentment

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by smokepole

hmmmmn???

that sounds plausible.

could lead to a slap on the wrist with a good atty. One who might even say "but your honor, what kind of fool flies their drone over a shooting range?"
I like it. Plausible deniability.

That what Jim Biden replied when asked how they got by with so much.

Works for them. Well you may need to be a Dem.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drone or no drone, nearly every step you take in public is on a hard drive. There is no privacy.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do these drones transmit the video via Bluetooth/wifi to the fliers receiver, or do they only retrieve video upon retrieval of the drone?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A drone over your property is trespassing.

You have the right to self-help in evicting that trespasser.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 21, 50 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.