Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m about to order a barrel from PAC Nor.
I have 2 options, a 3 Groove, or a 5 Groove.

The build will be a 280 AI with the barrel cut to 23”
This will be built for Elk hunting , so bullet lengths such as the 145 grain LRX AndLonger bullets will be its mainstay.

What number of Grooves should I be ordering, and Why.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not my response but I found this -

The number of grooves for the most part has no difference in barrel life and accuracy.

The wider land on a 3 groove per say might help the barrel last longer because the land is wider. This might help a button barrel but no difference in my opinion on a cut barrel. Also the button rifling work hardens the bore. So with all things being equal a cut barrel on average lasts longer.

We have made 3 groove barrels for some of the short range bench guys but there was no difference in accuracy. I've shot 2 groove thru 6 groove barrels in standard calibers and again I see no difference.

The straighter the blank, the more uniform the twist and the more uniform the bore and groove sizes over the whole length of the barrel the more forgiving the barrel is going to be.

There are a lot of things that effect how a barrel performs. Not just the number of grooves.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s easier to lay hands on a good barrel than it is to lay hands on a self guided dead elk!
Good luck with both..

My Lilja 3 groove barrels have been 5 star impressive.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have one of each. The 3 grooves for launching around 3,550 fps. The 5 grooves for no special reason.

They do seem to clean up faster after long strings, tho I could blame the newer powders for that...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
cant add anything accept the only three groove i have is a lilja chambered in 7mm-08 and it is as good as any barrel i have ever had from hart,rock creek,douglas,hawk hill and you can get them usually in less than a month

IC B2

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunnut308
It’s easier to lay hands on a good barrel than it is to lay hands on a self guided dead elk!
Good luck with both..

My Lilja 3 groove barrels have been 5 star impressive.

True.
One of my coworkers (and a close friend) here is an Outfitter there in Colorado, as well as a guide here in Alaska, he and I will be going together so I’ll not be straining to guide myself on this particular hunt.

…..cardio on the other hand.🤣

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A good barrel is a good barrel. Listen to frank green.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will do Butch.
I’ve had excellent success with running PAC NOR tubes in the past (back when Penny worked there) and I’m hoping for the same this go around.

I’ve always run their 5 groove configuration, and thought I might just inquire as to the pros and cons surrounding the 3 groove barrel option - so far it sounds like a fine option.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Not my response but I found this -

The number of grooves for the most part has no difference in barrel life and accuracy.

The wider land on a 3 groove per say might help the barrel last longer because the land is wider. This might help a button barrel but no difference in my opinion on a cut barrel. Also the button rifling work hardens the bore. So with all things being equal a cut barrel on average lasts longer.

We have made 3 groove barrels for some of the short range bench guys but there was no difference in accuracy. I've shot 2 groove thru 6 groove barrels in standard calibers and again I see no difference.

The straighter the blank, the more uniform the twist and the more uniform the bore and groove sizes over the whole length of the barrel the more forgiving the barrel is going to be.

There are a lot of things that effect how a barrel performs. Not just the number of grooves.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Dont know exactly where you found this quote but Bartlein does not make 3 groove barrels, they make 4 groove, 5R and conventional 5 groove. I have several of their 4 groove and 5R......top notch !!!!!!!
On the other hand I have in the past had several PacNor 3 groove barrel's, all have sucked !!!!!!!!! If getting a PacNor go with a 5 groove.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 358wsm
thought I might just inquire as to the pros and cons surrounding the 3 groove barrel option - so far it sounds like a fine option.

PacNor 3 groove barrels suck, go with the 5 groove

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by 358wsm
thought I might just inquire as to the pros and cons surrounding the 3 groove barrel option - so far it sounds like a fine option.

PacNor 3 groove barrels suck, go with the 5 groove
I've got 4 or 5 20 cal barrels in my safe that will definitely prove that wrong.
A good barrel is a good barrel period, they all can make a dud.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
So anyone care to comment on Polygonal rifeling in 17,20, 22, 25 & 6mm caliber on up?

Last edited by Hunterapp; 01/21/24.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The last 5 re-barrels I've been involved with have all been 3-groove Lilja. Mostly because Lilja has a large list of published factory duplicate contours on their site. 3 of these were Kimber Montana factory duplicate contours I had done for myself, one was a factory Rem Classic contour for a buddy and the last was a Ruger Varmint contour for another friend. They all fit the previously bedded stocks just fine and they all shoot well beyond the capability of any of us. I'll be doing 2 more Kimber Montana re-barrels shortly and will continue to use Lilja 3-groove for them.

FWIW, I've got a 1:10 .257 3-groove Lilja in 257Wby @ 25" that's over 800 rounds. It's still very accurate and hasn't appreciably lost any velocity.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot dozens and dozens of PN 3-groovers(multiple diameters),all of which have been fhuqking exceptional. They are held in THE highest esteem in these parts and the only thing that has displaced same,is Greg having so much laying in wait,upon his Shipping Shelves. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've shot dozens and dozens of PN 3-groovers(multiple diameters),all of which have been fhuqking exceptional. They are held in THE highest esteem in these parts and the only thing that has displaced same,is Greg having so much laying in wait,upon his Shipping Shelves. Hint..............

Thanks Stick…that’s all I needed to hear.
I appreciate man.

We’ll have to catch up.

I hope you’re doing well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.