Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
The thread about what you used to take your first deer was interesting, and has some photos. But thought it would also be interesting to see us.

This is my first deer, a muley doe taken with my father's Marlin .30-30. The photo was taken by Norman Strung, the well-known outdoor writer who passed away in 1991--a friend of my father, and one of my major mentors in the writing business.

(For those interested, black and white film was the standard back then, except for a few bigger magazines. This was taken with a twin-lens Rollieflex--back then considered a top professional camera.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Didn't have a camera back when I took my first buck back in the 50s.

Texas bred and born
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Photo of a photo from my Mom’s scrapbook. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fork by spoon whitetail buck from SWOK. Shot him and my next two bucks with my Great Grandfather’s Remington 760 chambered in 244. Oddly enough all three of the little bucks I shot with that rifle weighed 97lb dressed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congratulations…….I’m envious!

I was 11 yo by 10 days. Killed a small racked 4x4 Whitetail when hunting with my grandfather. No photos were taken, thankfully I still have that little rack. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I probably posted this in the other thread, but hey, it was a proud moment. I was 13. About a 200ish yard shot across a hollow in a snow storm. Still remember it like yesterday.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like you blew the back legs off John. Good Job/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My very first deer was an unlucky blacktail doe that I whacked with a borrowed 30-30 Win M94.
The 2nd was a husky 3pt with a sporterized Springfield 30-06. But no one ever carried a camera back then.

So all I can offer up is deer #3, a dinky little forked horn.

It's maybe more important that the first two deer anyway, as it was on a hunt where my brother and I camped under a tarp in the back of my pickup truck and hunted totally on our own. It was in the Cascade mountains near Howard Prairie Lake in southern Oregon.

Win M88 in .284 and my own handloaded 130gr Speer Hot Core bullet. I'm 16 years old in the photo.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
My first deer was taken with a Smith and Wesson Model 1500, 7mm Rem Mag.
Maybe 1984 or 1985

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have no idea where the pic of my first deer is. I'd have to dig through the photo albums at my parents.

My son got this first deer this year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cool pics.

Not real sure but I believe there are only pictures of 4 and maybe 5 deer that I have killed. Rare there was a camera and if there was we generally never worried too much about taking pictures. Same with turkeys. I think there may be 3 pictures of me with a gobbler.

At times I wish we had taken more.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I have no idea where the pic of my first deer is. I'd have to dig through the photo albums at my parents.

That kid couldn't get any bigger grin if he tried.

Good stuffs right there!👍🏻👍🏻

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by keystoneben

That kid couldn't get any bigger grin if he tried.

Good stuffs right there!👍🏻👍🏻

Haha. Agreed!

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 10at6
Looks like you blew the back legs off John. Good Job/

Nope!

Spotted the deer's wide-spread ears early in the morning amid the juniper/ponderosa above us, while Norm drove his Dodge Power Wagon up the road in the bottom of a sagebrush draw. Told him to stop, and I eased up through the timber. The deer had bedded by then, and when it stood up about 40 feet away, quartering toward me, I put the crosshairs of the 4x scope on the base of the neck, and it dropped right there. The bullet broke the spine.

The photo was taken after field-dressing the deer, which Norm supervised. This was partly because the light when I shot was too dim for the camera and film--but it was also because both of us wanted the meat to cool as soon as possible. Which is why the hindquarters look like that.

It's still one of the biggest muley does I've taken...and even today I kind of specialize in big muley does.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The thread about what you used to take your first deer was interesting, and has some photos. But thought it would also be interesting to see us.

This is my first deer, a muley doe taken with my father's Marlin .30-30. The photo was taken by Norman Strung, the well-known outdoor writer who passed away in 1991--a friend of my father, and one of my major mentors in the writing business.

(For those interested, black and white film was the standard back then, except for a few bigger magazines. This was taken with a twin-lens Rollieflex--back then considered a top professional camera.

[Linked Image]

I regret to say any pics of my first few deer or antelope are long lost...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great thread MD. Dad took me mule deer hunting in 1971 in the Trans Pecos region of West Texas when I was 11 yrs old. I've been hooked ever since.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

This was my second buck. I'll have to dig for a picture of my first.

My brother had killed his early. It was a real wall hanger in those days. I believe I had spooked this buck earlier in the day. Amid a snowstorm again, he came out of a cutover thicket just before dark. The old .300wm did it's work. My grandfather had a buddy hunting with us who was none too happy for fear of getting snowed in. I hadn't given it any thought....

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Me with my nephew when he got his first deer. Oh, yeah, he used my .30-30 Marlin that I then gave him. One of my best days....

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have a picture of my first deer which I took at the age of 9. I grew up in CO and back then you couldn't hunt big game until you were 14. Both my father and grandfather thought that was a dumb law so at the age of 9 I took a mulie buck on my grandfather's tag with a Win Model 1894 in 30-30. The statute of limitiation has long run out and my grandfather is long dead. The first buck I took on my own license was when I was 14 and it was a fork horn mulie I shot with a 7mm Rem Mag.
Not the best picture but this was in 1976 and we didn't have digital cameras back then and the old Polaroid photo is deteriorating. The next year I took my first bull elk, a spike bull, with the same rifle. This was 1977 and spikes were legal game in CO back then.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They didn’t have photographs when I killed my first

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.