Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Hello all!
I am considering a build on a Remington 700 action of a 6 Creedmoor. I have a couple of 6 br’s on 700 actions and love them. Easy to find accuracy and wonderful to shoot. My only complaint is they don’t feed very well. For those experienced does the 6 Creedmoor feed well from a 700 short action magazine? I’m thinking the additional velocity would probably be welcome. Any other pro’s or con’s with the6 Creedmoor? All ideas and advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rick

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Rick this probably won't help you on your feeding question but I did a 6CM on a SS single shot action Remington. I used a 1-8 twist Brux barrel threaded and chambered by Southern precision. I went with a .275 neck with .123 freebore since I planned to shoot 107 SMK's. The trigger is a Jewell and it sits in a McMillan stock. It shoots really nice with H100v or H4350,

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
J-
Thank you for the response. I’m suspecting your use of the cartridge is probably more the norm than mine might be. I would probably hope to shoot bullets more in the 70 to 85 grain range and maybe occasionally with 100 grain. I might be better suited with a 9 twist .243 for my purposes. I have several 243’s and just find that thought boring. I’m going to start working with a Sako Classic from the early ‘80’s chambered in 243 soon. Maybe it will scratch my itch or at least postpone it for a while.
Thanks, and take care,
Rick

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have several 243's in factory rifles and its a fantastic round in my opinion. Let me throw another one out there. If a guy can get his paws on one of the cheap SPS 700's from around 2000-2010 spin the barrel off and do a Remage style barrel. If you get a vice from Larry Scott the factory barrels come off pretty easy. Urban rifleman makes good barrels at a very good price. The older 700 triggers very pretty easy to tune.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting Topic Yesterday I gave a .243 A.I. With a shot out barrel to my gunsmith, to put a Proof. 1 x 7.5 Barrel in 6 CM threaded barrel, there's no fly's on a good .243 with a good load and bullet they kill way above their weight class I've been a .243 fan for years I now have 4 .243's and 2 6 CM's that should last me for awhile. Rio7

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can build a 6 with any twist you like, but if you go slower than 1-8” the other kids will laugh at you and maybe steal your lunch. Mine is a 1-7 and I like that it can shoot 115s if I want (I have), and it does well with the 95gr LRXs I hunt with.

Think about how you're going to get close to the lands with those short bullets, whichever you choose.

That Sako might spoil you for lesser rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I have had both .243 and 6 Creed. The 6 Creed gets the nod for way out there while the .243 is for shorter distances (9.125 twist). I find the .243 feeds a little smoother (shoulder angle) while the 6 creed requires less brass trimming. There is nothing a 6 creed will do that a .243 can't with the right barrel. It's all about component availability and whether or not you reload. If you don't reload, 6 creed all the way if wanting to shooting heavy bullets. If really wanting to get special with a 6 Creed sized case, a 6XC could be another option.

Rick, I see you're in Mid TN. If a member of Strategic Edge, talk to the other members and see what they're shooting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/6mm-creedmoor/

The 6mm Creedmoor is a fine, fine, cartridge.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I’d go with a .243 or 6mm REM with a fast twist before sinking money in a Creedmoor. Too much marketing hype on these new cartridges in my opinion.

Shoot Safe,
Mike
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Make sure you get a 308 action … some guys try changing a 223 short action to a creed but the feed rails are wrong unless you go to single stack…

It’s hot and performs well due to speed but after 1200 or so rounds it’s starts getting loose - my loose means the bullets holes don’t touch all the time… another guys “loose” isn’t the same.

The reason the creed’s tend to be more accurate is that the reamer to brass spec is more in line with precision cartridge (bench shooters) learned and turned around and shared with / taught worked with the bigger manufacturers which helped out (like H.)…

Feeding, they are a bit harder to get to feed without as much taper, but it’s easily do-able vs getting a shorter round to feed well (dashers and SAUM’s can be a real Bugger to get to feed).

Just watch your OAL … make sure your loaded rounds fit in the mag …

Comp. Shooter tend to like having the base of the boat tail above the neck shoulder junction which can make for longer bullets that might not fit the mag well length.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/21/24.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by UncleGrinch
I’d go with a .243 or 6mm REM with a fast twist before sinking money in a Creedmoor. Too much marketing hype on these new cartridges in my opinion.

That sir does not make any sense at all what so ever. A better case design better brass availability better fit in the short action wanting to be used and then the option of high quality factory ammunition is not not an opinion it’s all facts. I do like the 243 and 6 Remington a lot and when twisted throated and loaded the same they will accomplish the same thing.

It’s pretty comical that people still think these newer chamberings are popular due to marketing hype. Also funny how long things get called new. I’ve been shooting a 6 creedmoor for almost 10 years and plenty of guys longer than that.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With regard to the 6 BRs feeding, I had to modify my mag box and follower as well as using a 223 spring. Now they feed great. PM if you want more details.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Hello all!
I am considering a build on a Remington 700 action of a 6 Creedmoor. I have a couple of 6 br’s on 700 actions and love them. Easy to find accuracy and wonderful to shoot. My only complaint is they don’t feed very well. For those experienced does the 6 Creedmoor feed well from a 700 short action magazine? I’m thinking the additional velocity would probably be welcome. Any other pro’s or con’s with the6 Creedmoor? All ideas and advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rick

Both creedmoors can require some tweaking to get them feeding from a 700 S/A BDL magazine box if the box has the feed lips shaped for the 308 based cases. But if you straighten the feedlips (vs how they come shaped for the 308-based cartridges), you should be good to go. If you're running any sort of DBM it won't be a problem at all.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,532
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.