-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would guess most avoided all "big" ones and looked for all good-eating critters.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Recently read Alaska is considering banning NR from DIY caribou hunting. Any truth to that?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Recently read Alaska is considering banning NR from DIY caribou hunting. Any truth to that?

Yes. Its the first thing they do to control harvest numbers. Unfortunately IMHO if its an issue of needing less harvest EVERYONE should be in a drawing, not just NR or not just NR banned. If its bad it doesn't matter who kills. It matters the numbers.

Its going to be unit by unit or sub unit type of thing but it well could happen. They have done it for sheep in our unit. But R can hunt and kill all they want. No draw needed. Makes about zero sense.

OTOH the caribou are in a big downswing most areas. And they need less pressure at the moment overall.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sheesh, our NR draw hunt in Unit 13 a few years ago looks better and better! SU 35 and I had a blast on that one!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

There is a proposal before the Board of Game for consideration in March and it will restrict NRs for the roadside caribou hunts of the 40 Mile Herd.
There is other controversy in the Kotzebue area that I haven't followed.

Caribou across North America are suffering and hunting is impacted on may herds.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I would guess most avoided all "big" ones and looked for all good-eating critters.

I was a "subsistance" hunter. out of Kotzebue. Did my share on "preserving the herd" by shooting pregnant cows per reg.

Them bald bulls were on their own after rut was over- mid November, until legal Feb 1... not that I'm admitting to anything against insane regulations, mind you.

Spagetti burger is pretty much all the same, I'd guess.

I miss being a "subsistence" hunter in GMU 23... smile

Last edited by las; 01/20/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It sounds like the Caribou, Dall Sheep and King/Chinook salmon numbers are currently all down. The demand for subsistence is going up. No? I bet those meetings held by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game regarding hunting/fishing subsistence get right sporty! Never mind the regular board of game and board of fisheries meetings.

In 1979 me and some other guys briefly spoke to an old Sourdough in Talkeetna. He was visiting his daughter there. I remember him telling us that he came back to Alaska after World War One and that Alaska is now ruined forever and overcrowded. Over the years I have wished that we would have spent the entire day with him to hear his stories of Alaska. I'm guessing he was in his late eighties or early nineties then. Anyway, this poem reminds me of him.

The Heart of the Sourdough
by Robert W. Service

There where the mighty mountains bare their fangs unto the moon,
There where the sullen sun-dogs glare in the snow-bright, bitter noon,
And the glacier-glutted streams sweep down at the clarion call of June.

There where the livid tundras keep their tryst with the tranquil snows;
There where the silences are spawned, and the light of hell-fire flows
Into the bowl of the midnight sky, violet, amber and rose.

There where the rapids churn and roar, and the ice-floes bellowing run;
Where the tortured, twisted rivers of blood rush to the setting sun —
I've packed my kit and I'm going, boys, ere another day is done.

I knew it would call, or soon or late, as it calls the whirring wings;
It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things,
And to-night, oh, God of the trails untrod, how it whines in my heart-strings!

I'm sick to death of your well-groomed gods, your make-believe and your show;
I long for a whiff of bacon and beans, a snug shakedown in the snow;
A trail to break, and a life at stake, and another bout with the foe.

With the raw-ribbed Wild that abhors all life, the Wild that would crush and rend,
I have clinched and closed with the naked North, I have learned to defy and defend;
Shoulder to shoulder we have fought it out — yet the Wild must win in the end.

I have flouted the Wild. I have followed its lure, fearless, familiar, alone;
By all that the battle means and makes I claim that land for mine own;
Yet the Wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown.

Then when as wolf-dogs fight we've fought, the lean wolf-land and I;
Fought and bled till the snows are red under the reeling sky;
Even as lean wolf-dog goes down will I go down and die.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Razz
Originally Posted by las
If you were south of the Brooks Range, you weren't on the North Slope. Technically. Were you?

Kotzebue is in the Arctic, tho - by aout 30 miles. I liked my 8 years there.

LAS, never said we hunted south of the Brooks Range. We were north of the Brooks Range. Along the Kukpowruk River

Thanks for the clarification. You mentioned Kotzebue and North Slope together. I've lived both places. I was wondering if you had flown out that far from Kotzebue. Most out of Kotz do not. Or did not. I left there in 2018, so haven't really kept up on where the guided and fly-out activity is now taking place. I know the locals were trying to eliminate guiding and fly-outs to the Squirrel and other drainages south of the range - don't know if they did.

As a "subsistence hunter"when I lived there, 2010-2018, I did all my caribou hunting on snow machine or ATV within 20 miles of town. But I conserved the resource for you guys - I only shot one half-way decent (and that's exaggerating a bit) out of the 20 or so cows and bald bulls I killed later in the winter than the "sport" season. smile

Yeah we went pretty far north due to the changes with areas being closed . Overall a good trip, but hard to roll the dice on what will happen. I get protecting the resource, but seems very unfair to people that booked a year out. Just my opinion anyway.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.