Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I have an opportunity to purchase 160 round of loaded WWII Ap black tipped loaded cartridges. I was told to “make an offer”. What is the going rate? What would a reasonable offer be?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No help with price, but I can point out that firing it into an old piece of railroad rail at close range can result in the jacket being sent back with enough force to penetrate a coat and shirt and imbed itself in the side of the shooter. At least, that is what I have been told.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Anything like that, tracers etc is a buck apiece. Hell, M118 LR 308 is pushing $2.

But,, the BT will penetrate the web of a RR rail. Aim, slide down for cover, pull trigger. A long time ago. Shot an 18-20" Ash tree with one & my bud said, hell you missed it, I saw dirt fly up on the other side.

Dead center, superior penetration. Not to be taken lightly.

But,,,,,,,,, for an answer, look on ammoseek.com.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by gunzo
Anything like that, tracers etc is a buck apiece. Hell, M118 LR 308 is pushing $2.

But,, the BT will penetrate the web of a RR rail. Aim, slide down for cover, pull trigger. A long time ago. Shot an 18-20" Ash tree with one & my bud said, hell you missed it, I saw dirt fly up on the other side.

I’ve read that the preferred load for WW II infantry in Europe was AP for that very reason.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
At our gun club range we preach Do Not bring that stuff to the range. They make swiss cheese out of AR 500 plates. At $40.00 a pop. they ruin several and have to know they are doing it. Do not bring that crap to a Gun range.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
These? They're bringing $2 + a round on gunbroker and a few of the shows I've been to if you have larger quantities. Small lots $3-4 a round.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Finally, thanks for your response. I say response because you answered the question I asked. Instead of “don’t bring that to the range……”. I have my own damn range. I don’t plan on randomly ruining target plates.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Troutnut
These? They're bringing $2 + a round on gunbroker and a few of the shows I've been to if you have larger quantities. Small lots $3-4 a round.

That's what I paid not too long ago

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by LegalEagle
Finally, thanks for your response. I say response because you answered the question I asked. Instead of “don’t bring that to the range……”. I have my own damn range. I don’t plan on randomly ruining target plates.

Kinda grateful there ain't ya pard. Next time do your own damn research.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by gunzo

I’ve read that the preferred load for WW II infantry in Europe was AP for that very reason.

Well, come to think of it, a bunch of ole country boys noticing a shell that connects even when the enemy was behind hard cover could catch on pretty quick. A nation of riflemen then.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Gunzo, I didn’t mind your post. Price was discussed and your information on penetration was interesting. Sidewinder72 with the stay away from the range crap was stating the obvious and not helpful. I did my own research and only foound one site that was selling reloaded AP ammo. That’s why I posed the question here. To get responses on price per round. Not admonitions to stay away from a gun range.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was watching a WWII war movie the other day and the soldier was reloading his Garand with a full clip of black tip. I thought it was an interesting detail in a movie that was fairly accurate with the small arms they used.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Troutnut

They will penetrate 4" of concrete

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geeze, lighten up. It's the internet. Ask questions on a forum and you get what you paid for.

My advice is to stay away from the range.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Geeze, lighten up. It's the internet. Ask questions on a forum and you get what you paid for.

My advice is to stay away from the range.

Thanks Kodiak. I’ll definitely stay away from the range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have somewhere around 100 rounds of it in original boxes and even the ammo can I think is original. I think it was manufactured in 1943. I can get a round count if someone is interested and precise details.
$1.50 per round plus actual shipping.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yesterday's auction I attended saw up to $1.50/round.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I sure wouldn't waste any of it just enough to see where it impacts compared to normal.ball. it may become very valuable in the future its not like you can buy it at wallyworld.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In the late 70's my cousin showed up at my house with a box of those rounds. I lived way out in the middle of no where and had my own gun range. I grabbed my rifle and we loaded a round in the chamber and I had railroad ties set up with targets on them. Touched the first round off and the railroad tie top 12" became kindling. Had a plow shear in the steel pile so we drug it out and put a nice hole right through it. There was a old engine block in there so we drug it out and got behind the barn and put a nice hole all the way through it. About that time a rabbit came out of its hole and when I hit it I never saw an animal that big disintegrate like that before. They were an impressive round to say the least.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If thinking about reloading it into 308 Win, or 7.62 its illegal...

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,877
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.