Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
my procedure for making 300 blackout cases I'm starting with freshly annealed 5.56 cases. and I already took care of any primer pocket cramps and issues when they were 556 cases. gives me more case to hold on to for such procedures.I then I'm running them through a jig and mini chop saw to recommended length.
then run them in the die to form the case. I'm actually not even lubing these cases ,there's really not much resistance. I've been running through a trimmer with the three-way cutter to correct trim two length see the primer than ready to load..

now my question is should I be annealing these cases somewhere else in that process or run just like I am and then anneal after the first firing as a 300 blackout case.

I've done the first batch as I stated earlier because they were freshly annealed as 556 cases. now I know I cut the neck off and a portion of the annealed case but of course the heat travels down the case a bit more and you're forming and stuff that is at least been somewhat annealed..

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I anneal after cutting them down. I figure the neck is the part that needs annealed and you barely get the part that becomes the neck if you anneal before cutting.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by drop_point
I anneal after cutting them down. I figure the neck is the part that needs annealed and you barely get the part that becomes the neck if you anneal before cutting.

Same here, chop them 1st on the mini-miter saw using a jig, then anneal before running them into the die. You can measure the 300BO case length and adjust your annealing length, but I've always just found it easier and quicker to cut, then anneal.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
SO the Blackout is a .223 case , cut off at the shoulder? I saw some ballistics from a 300 Blackout and was very mild. A friend at church shot a doe with a Blackout this year and said it went down fast. I think it's a good idea to use smaller ammo now days cause of cost. No need for the magnums anymore for targets, deer and pigs.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by ihookem
SO the Blackout is a .223 case , cut off at the shoulder? I saw some ballistics from a 300 Blackout and was very mild. A friend at church shot a doe with a Blackout this year and said it went down fast. I think it's a good idea to use smaller ammo now days cause of cost. No need for the magnums anymore for targets, deer and pigs.

Basically.

221FB necked up to 30.

I plugged my first deer with the cartridge (CVA Scout) this fall. Little yearling from 20-25yds using a 110 TAC-TX over CFE BLK. It only made it 10-15 yards and went down.

Works well enough for me... I've had a few smaller deer go farther after being popped with much larger cartridges 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by zcm82; 01/26/24. Reason: addition
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by drop_point

Same here, chop them 1st on the mini-miter saw using a jig, then anneal before running them into the die. You can measure the 300BO case length and adjust your annealing length, but I've always just found it easier and quicker to cut, then anneal.

I do the same. preferably with star brass. Every time I pass a public gun range I go snoop up and down the lines and pick up any and all brass I find and check and sort when I get back home. You would be surprised how many people don't clean up after themselves at some of these places and don't even use the brooms and dust pans to pick up their own brass.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
yup going over to our local range, I think I picked up like 600 plus pieces of 223 brass in just a couple trips over.

That is why I ended up rebarreling a couple rifles to 6 x 45, when originally I was wanting to get a 6 ARC.

I figured with the 6 x 45, I would never need to buy any brass for that rifle caliber even if I was only 20 and was going to live until I was a 110. Made it an easy decision.

back on topic:

On the Blackout I would not anneal until AFTER my first firing. If the round is going to let go and break it self, it will do it on its first firing, showing any weak spots. If it survives that ( most will ) then anneal it. First shooting will cull out the brass that is weakened.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.