-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job on the sight insert Rocky. I've always liked the Pachmayr Compac on round butt revolvers.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There is one tiny advantage to the short 2 1/2 barrel on mine, it can be carried in the hip or front pocket of loose cut carpenter jeans without protruding. I even thought briefly about bobbing the hammer, but then thought of the noise of manual cocking is a psychological warning.
I had an angry guy invade my cabin one night looking for his wife, the sound of the Ithaca slide racking in the dark, changed his tune, (but he had no way of knowing the Ithaca was empty). Stupid me.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TRH, is that an old model Bulldog? Or a newer one? Any idea what velocity you’re getting with the 240 and 5.4 grains of Unique? I have a Taurus Titanium .41 that I carry when bow hunting. I’ve always wanted a .44 Bulldog. Good shooting by the way!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Looking at the current bulldog lineup and they have a hammerless model, exposed ejector rod, a NO front sight. Dirty little pistola right there.
Hickok45 did a review of the sightless model ("The Boomer" ??), and wasn't impressed, as he couldn't much hit anything with it.

Love Hickok’s videos but haven’t seen that one. I wouldn’t imagine he would be hitting much on his range. I can see its only purpose being point blank, near contact shooting.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I had an angry guy invade my cabin one night looking for his wife, the sound of the Ithaca slide racking in the dark, changed his tune.
But we've been all assured for years now that this was a myth.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
TRH, is that an old model Bulldog? Or a newer one? Any idea what velocity you’re getting with the 240 and 5.4 grains of Unique? I have a Taurus Titanium .41 that I carry when bow hunting. I’ve always wanted a .44 Bulldog. Good shooting by the way!

Ron
Thanks Ron. I was going to test some of my loads recently (I just got back into reloading after over a twenty year hiatus), and went to the storage area where I was sure I last saw my "Cronny," (Or is it Chronny? Do they still make those?), but it wasn't there. I have no idea where it is now. Might have to buy a new one.

I'd guess about 675 fps at the muzzle. Even still, I would fully expect it to exceed the FBI minimum penetration standard in ballistic gelatin.

What you see in post #1 is a modern reproduction (reintroduction?) of the original Bulldog .44. They call it the "Classic."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had an original Bulldog and had it full of some kind of factory jacketed hollow points. I had knocked a 6 point bull down who wasn’t dead. I shot him 3 times in the head and he eventually died. The next morning when we went to cut the skull plate out my partner really went to laughing. He held up 3 flattened bullets that had not penetrated the skull. I sold the gun and bought a 629 not knowing a hard cast would have done the trick. Oh well, no use being stupid unless you can show it off once in a while !!!!

Fourth Generation Border Rat
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had an original Bulldog and had it full of some kind of factory jacketed hollow points. I had knocked a 6 point bull down who wasn’t dead. I shot him 3 times in the head and he eventually died. The next morning when we went to cut the skull plate out my partner really went to laughing. He held up 3 flattened bullets that had not penetrated the skull. I sold the gun and bought a 629 not knowing a hard cast would have done the trick. Oh well, no use being stupid unless you can show it off once in a while !!!!

Fourth Generation Border Rat
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
TRH,
Really good shooting an a nice write up about a cool old school revolver!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Mine is with me alot !

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by flintlocke
There is one tiny advantage to the short 2 1/2 barrel on mine, it can be carried in the hip or front pocket of loose cut carpenter jeans without protruding. I even thought briefly about bobbing the hammer, but then thought of the noise of manual cocking is a psychological warning.
I had an angry guy invade my cabin one night looking for his wife, the sound of the Ithaca slide racking in the dark, changed his tune, (but he had no way of knowing the Ithaca was empty). Stupid me.
Won't ever find out that stuff. Unloaded guns are as useless as hammers to us for defense. Always loaded.

I suspect most thugs these days have no clue what a gun action sounds like anyway

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by azrancher
hardcast lead. Gotta know what you are doing at least Lol. Some learn the hard way. I"ve killed about 3 or 4 bovine cows with 45 acp and hard cast lead truncated cone bullets in the head to put them down. Never an issue.

Last thing I shot with hardcast lead was a black bear in the head with a sig 365 9mm 147. Helps if you run the right bullets in any gun actually,.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My cabin was in a village in Western AK, and like everyone else I never locked anything. Unfortunately residing in that village was a merry band of roving pirates between the ages of 6 and 14 or so, they would hit targets of opportunity without warning when hunger pangs struck. So I left my guns unloaded and the Oreos in plain sight.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 7887mm08, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.