Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
It's been quite a while since shipping a long gun so I need a refresher. It's my understanding that I need to tell the PO that the package contains a long gun, but I don't think there is a paperwork requirement, correct? No markings on the packaging. Can I use the USPS app to print the label and drop it off at the counter?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Go to your local PO and ask.
All the PO's make up their own rules, whether you like it or not.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don’t ask, don’t tell.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a 1879 Parker shotgun shipping OUT of California in a piece of pvc?

Maybe go ups instead of usps?

Asking for a friend

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The only thing that you are required to do is hit the little buttons on the billing machine stating your not shipping anything explosive or liquid.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only fear would be is if they ask and you said no what would happen if an insurance claim had to be made?

Otherwise if they don't ask, don't offer up any information.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
My only fear would be is if they ask and you said no what would happen if an insurance claim had to be made?

Is your "no" answer recorded on any of the documents involved?

"Is it a firearm" has never been one of the questions I've been asked about anything I've ever shipped.

That said, good luck with ANY insurance claim with the USPS.......

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American

"Is it a firearm" has never been one of the questions I've been asked about anything I've ever shipped.

Never had to say "no" but doubt it would be documented.

Have had 1 claim with them and it went smooth. Don't need to press my luck though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cisco1
Go to your local PO and ask.
All the PO's make up their own rules, whether you like it or not.
Some should ask for advice, not give it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You are correct and they are specifically not allowed to ask if it is a firearm.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
USPS Mailing Firearms

These are the USPS rules, does not mean your postmaster will follow them or that you have to follow them also.

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:

Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.

Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

Be addressed to the owner.

Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.

Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.

Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local PO will only accept guns (long or short) from a FFL holder. Luckily we have a local guy that will do it for $10. It will still run you about $60 to ship a rifle. Shipping fees have really taken the fun out of trading guns.

Last edited by centershot; 01/23/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You are correct and they are specifically not allowed to ask if it is a firearm.
Where do you get the "they are specifically not allowed to ask if it is a firearm" part? Just curious.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Where do you get the "they are specifically not allowed to ask if it is a firearm" part? Just curious.
Notices from ATF have covered it several times over the years. The biggest concern about firearm mail theft is from USPS employees, not porch pirates (why they want a signature because it guarantees a handoff.)

Notice it also says FFLs are not required to use "signature required" class of mail.

G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mike70560
USPS Mailing Firearms

These are the USPS rules, does not mean your postmaster will follow them or that you have to follow them also.

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:

Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.

A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

Be addressed to the owner.

Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.

Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.

Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

I've seen this in looking up the requirements and I think it was written differently concerning the "written certification" requirement and whether they could force you to open the package. That's where I was confused. Nowhere in there do I see a requirement to preemptively state that the package contains a firearm. Or am I missing something?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by centershot
Local PO will only accept guns (long or short) from a FFL holder.
Heard all kinds of chit from various POs.

"Ok if it's broken down!"
"As long as it has the FFL inside!"
"Gotta take the bolt out."

LOL

Currently, our local outfit does insist there's no firearm label on the box, like a factory box with exposed information. I package as short and covert as possible and pre-label anyways. EZ

Oh, one guy in the N Portland PO insisted that a firearm is potentially hazardous and you must answer yes to that question. Bullchit. It's definitely not hazardous in it's current unloaded state... That was right after one of big mass shooting events and he was a twat...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Local PO will only accept guns (long or short) from a FFL holder. Luckily we have a local guy that will do it for $10. It will still run you about $60 to ship a rifle. Shipping fees have really taken the fun out of trading guns.
I have only seen that locally once, a bunch of years ago... one phone call with the employee's name corrected the situation.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Local PO will only accept guns (long or short) from a FFL holder.
Heard all kinds of chit from various POs.

"Ok if it's broken down!"
"As long as it has the FFL inside!"
"Gotta take the bolt out."

LOL

Currently, our local outfit does insist there's no firearm label on the box, like a factory box with exposed information. I package as short and covert as possible and pre-label anyways. EZ
Post office rules are one thing, but the label thing is ATF.

But you forgot "you need to send a photocopy of your driver's license."

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I ship all my firearms through my local USPS. Never had any issues with it at all. I don't tell them what's in the box and they don't ask.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You are NOT REQUIRED to declare the content of your package.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,339
Posts18,487,720
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.