-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's cool as heck, congrats to your nephew and to Baxter as well.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m used to the regular sized schnauzers, I thought that deer next to the dog was going to be a shoe in for the dink-a-thon! Never knew Giant Schnauzers existed, that’s a good looking dog and I’ll bet he’s pretty fierce!

Congrats to your nephew on a day he’ll never forget and you for helping make it happen!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I’m used to the regular sized schnauzers, I thought that deer next to the dog was going to be a shoe in for the dink-a-thon! Never knew Giant Schnauzers existed, that’s a good looking dog and I’ll bet he’s pretty fierce!

Congrats to your nephew on a day he’ll never forget and you for helping make it happen!

Thanks guys!

Nephew texted me his thanks again. My brother said he's still on cloud nine. smile I remember my first buck, so those memories will last awhile.

Justin, they are great dogs, but not suited for people who aren't more stubborn than they are... grin

Baxter truly is an amazing companion. Very athletic too!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Justin, they are great dogs, but not suited for people who aren't more stubborn than they are... grin

Yep they are great dogs, and used quite a bit in Europe for police work, as they have the drive and are ass-kickers.

Trivia for you Barry:FSU conducted research in 2005 to determine the lowest threshold of detection that canine olfaction could be taken to.They used a Rottweiler and a Giant Schnauzer- neither dog noted for its "nose" ( something I get a kick out of when I hear the gun dog guys saying how good of a "nose" their dog has...) Anyway, they used Amyl Acetate as the target compounds and the Schnauzer could detect it down to 1.09 Parts Per TRILLION! Try to wrap your head around that....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Very good looking dog and I know all about stubborn dogs- Baxter and I would get along just fine! I hope he finds many more deer for you and your family!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep they are great dogs, and used quite a bit in Europe for police work, as they have the drive and are ass-kickers.

Trivia for you Barry:FSU conducted research in 2005 to determine the lowest threshold of detection that canine olfaction could be taken to.They used a Rottweiler and a Giant Schnauzer- neither dog noted for its "nose" ( something I get a kick out of when I hear the gun dog guys saying how good of a "nose" their dog has...) Anyway, they used Amyl Acetate as the target compounds and the Schnauzer could detect it down to 1.09 Parts Per TRILLION! Try to wrap your head around that....

's true. The average dog lives as much or more by it's nose as it's eyes.

Also undeniable that even amongst breeds known for their noses, there are specimens with either a superior nose or superior ability to process and use the information the nose gives it...

Had a Chessie bitch years ago that taught herself to handle pheasant and huns differently. You knew what she had in her nose by the way she worked the birds

Edit; That Chessie, Rio was a ninja, on huns. But I'm fully convinced that her nose was inferior to the yellow lab I had at the same time. And that lab's dam had a superior nose to the sire of the litter, obvious to those who hunted them

Last edited by johnw; 01/18/24.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And experience using the nose helps a dog, too.

Good on those who could find their own deer, but allow a dog to work it for the experience...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Tom,
While I agree that canine noses are AMAZING organs, you have to remember that Amyl Acetate is not a super hard compound for an olfactory organ to detect. That's a major reason why the compound is used to detect leaks in Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) like half and full face respirators. I remember getting testing many times in my PPE masks, and when the fit was off even by a tiny amount, I soon detected that ugly banana-like odor of amyl acetate. But that said, 1 PPT is a very low detection threshold that no human nose will ever achieve...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I've seen dogs at work with their noses, and can testify to the fact!

Saw a drug dog detect dope in a welded steel container that was concealed inside a gasoline fuel tank in a vehicle. That dispels any doubt. smile

I'm sure you have lots of stories yourself.

One thing I find amusing is when Baxter sees an animal beside the road, deer, cow, or whatever... He'll watch it, but he puts his nose to my a/c vent to smell it as well.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Saw a drug dog detect dope in a welded steel container that was concealed inside a gasoline fuel tank in a vehicle. That dispels any doubt. smile

Yep, I have stories aplenty. Things that I wouldn't believe if someone else told me. If we can ever get together, the stories get even better over bourbon! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yep, I have stories aplenty. Things that I wouldn't believe if someone else told me. If we can ever get together, the stories get even better over bourbon! laugh

I'm ready!

I have a lot of hog land to hunt now that deer season is over... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I'm ready!

I have a lot of hog land to hunt now that deer season is over... wink

You shouldn't have told me that......
laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats to both the boy and the dog!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This is way cool and a really great looking pup!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Kids and dogs in the woods what's not to like!?

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.