Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
It's plain it's a Model 70, but which model? Was it ever used in international competition? National competition? Local benchrest shoots?

If anyone has an idea of what it's worth, I'll probably be offering it up to Gunbroker soon.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Trying to read first 3 of sn - G103?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Trying to read first 3 of sn - G103?

Looks like G104xxxx, but that is beside the point. Would be the same year DOM. 1972. I've actually seen a rifle like this, at a small town gunshow and almost bought it. The guy wanted $1,200.00 for it, which I though was very fair. He said he shot a lot of 190 and 200gr SMK's through it for some sort of competition, back in the 70's and 80's. Maybe someone knows for sure, what the rifle in the OP was used for, but it looks like some international match rifle. Maybe MikeS would know? If it were me, I'd wait until someone can verify what it was and what it is worth. Good luck to the OP..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im a 1965 M70 guy so im guessing on a 72 but, my guess is that it's an (edit - international Army Match with a modified stock Look on pp 325 of "The Riflemans Rifle" by Roger Rule.) I think the sight is an "Olympic or maybe an International" by Redfield.

Last edited by Centennial; 01/24/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool old target rifle that doesn't look like it was shot much at all. My understanding is the factory International Match rifles have two trigger adjustment screws located in the bottom of the receiver cocking piece groove. Hard to tell from the picture, but I can't see any. Not sure the factory stocks have enough wood to sculpt into that stock's shape in the pistol grip and comb areas, but a lot of those old stocks have spliced on additions.

There is a Winchester Collectors Association web sight you may want to check out.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s a classic M70 Match rifle for NRA Highpower. It’s a 70’s and 80’s period piece. I’m guessing not an International Army match …or at least not an original one. The stock is clearly aftermarket. The stock accessories (adjustable butt, drop belly front, vertical grip) tell me it’s a position gun. It probably has an accessory rail in the foreend.

Does it have a clip slot? Can you shoot a pic of the trigger from the bottom?…looking for the adjustments like MikeS mentioned.

Most NRA match rifles are ridden hard and wear an aftermarket barrel and a shiny blue worn bolt knob. So this one is a bit of a curio. It’s also got scope blocks so it was probably used part time for long range prone.

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/24/24.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Serial number G1028XXX.

No adjustment screws for the trigger, but it's wonderfully light and smooth.

No stamping on the barrel or receiver that it was part of any Army program.

Yes, it's a Redfield International rear sight. The globe front sight has a tiny black circle right in the center that I can imagine would match the size of the bull at whatever distance this rifle was intended for.

It does have an accessory rail in the forend.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Correction: "Redfield International Match" on the rear sight.

And yes, slots for using a clip.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Also: the bolt is serial numbered to the receiver.

I found it online! It's a Winchester Model 70 International Army Match.

Recent sales at auction are in the $1,000 range without sights.

That's great!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by czech1022

That's great!

Excellent!! Those sights are easily worth another $350.00, I'm sure. That rear sight looks like it has an adjustable iris as well. Great snag!! Should be fun as hell to shoot. Like MikeS said, doesn't appear to have been shot much at all. The one I saw a while ago, that I mentioned, had a nice heavy stainless barrel on it. The old guy said he replaced the barrel 4 times that he could remember. The barrel on your rifle looks more original, so that is cool!! Please shoot it, and let us know how it does. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better yet, list it in the classifieds so I can shoot it! smile

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by czech1022

That's great!
...Sorry but that is not an International Army Match. There were less than 200 of those rifles made and they have very specific features. The adjustable trigger was one of those features. They also came without sights. There's a great article by Bill Grant in the Winchester Collectors Association magazine if you want to know more about those rifles.

Yours is still a very nice rifle. I've seen M70 IAM's go for around $1500 depending on condition. I'd guess that $1000 is not unreasonable for an M70 NRA Match Rifle which is what yours appears to be.

Here's a thread where the M70 IAM's were discussed a bit;
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16214323/1

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/25/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 40 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.