Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Huge warmup blew in Monday, and the ice is going fast with off and on rain all week. Didn't do worth a crap yesterday, and the ice was getting really soft around the edges. Today or tomorrow will likely be the end of the season locally, unless a big cold snap rolls in next month for a second freeze up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hypocrite

Burbot tacos, but I’m still not sold on them being better than walleye.

Hoping local ice is good to go in the next couple days, I’ve had to travel to fish this year.
They are better. IMHO. But so are yellow perch. Yellow catfish and a couple others. Walleye are ok, but not at the top of our list

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by zcm82
Huge warmup blew in Monday, and the ice is going fast with off and on rain all week. Didn't do worth a crap yesterday, and the ice was getting really soft around the edges. Today or tomorrow will likely be the end of the season locally, unless a big cold snap rolls in next month for a second freeze up.

Geez, that was a short season! I took my boys out on Sunday. Not much of a bite going on unfortunately. I had one nice fish break me off, and that was it. Temps around 5° and no wind luckily. About 24” of ice I’d say. No warmups in the near future here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Beautiful fish… well except for the burbot.

It’s been a warm winter here. Hopefully the colder temps we have right now will last long enough to make ice.
May not be pretty, but far better eating than any walleye!

No question about that. Much better!

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Poor man's cod?'

Poor man’s lobster is what most of our Alaska friends call them.

Ted

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by zcm82

Geez, that was a short season! I took my boys out on Sunday. Not much of a bite going on unfortunately. I had one nice fish break me off, and that was it. Temps around 5° and no wind luckily. About 24” of ice I’d say. No warmups in the near future here!

I'm on the tail end of the ice belt, so seasons are extremely variable, but they've been generally trending worse/shorter the past 10-15 years. It's been a few years since we had a real solid one that lasted very long.

Local ice topped out around 8.5-9" It was -4° Sunday... it's 40 and raining right now, and supposed to be pushing 50 by the end of the week. 😒

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use to have an ice shack that I would spend lots of time in, the best way to fish I found was cut a hole in they ice 2ft by 2ft then push they shack over the hole, and open the trap door over the hole then procede to pack snow all around the shack to block all sunlight from coming in, with the inside totally dark and they only light coming through the hole in they ice the view is incredible. You could see the bottom no problem and just toy with the fish it was almost an unfair advantage. When I was sick of eating fish I would go there just to sit and watch and take a nap.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Below zero at night here the last several day, and until Sunday, with highs in the single digits. At least the overflow has pretty much firmed up where I’ve been fishing. Looking forward to some highs in the teens and twenties again!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Took my niece last Sunday, about 18 inches of ice. My niece caught the first fish and everyone on the lake heard her scream with excitement.
It was just a practice run to see what instruments we needed.
Plenty of snow so ice cleats were not critical but I should get a couple extra pairs, and my wife voted to get a sled to pull the stuff in.

Have been researching the 40v power head for the auger instead of my drill. Wonder if a grinder as a power head would work? I don’t have much alternate use for a big big drill or the Eskimo power head during off season.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We JUST got ice! Damn global warming. How dare they!

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
judging by the open water on our closest reservoir, I'm guessing anything under 8k' elevation is open water or very sketchy.

read in the history section of our local paper this week that 50 odd years ago they had the same type of weather, had to cancel the ice fishing tournament at one of the bigger reservoirs in our county.

no ice fishing here this winter it would seem

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Went out a couple hours after work again today... the bite was a lot better than yesterday, but the edges are just about shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
where would be the closest serious ice fishing to Ohio? the UP?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Took my niece last Sunday, about 18 inches of ice. My niece caught the first fish and everyone on the lake heard her scream with excitement.
Plenty of snow so ice cleats were not critical but I should get a couple extra pairs, and my wife voted to get a sled to pull the stuff in.

Have been researching the 40v power head for the auger instead of my drill. Wonder if a grinder as a power head would work? I don’t have much alternate use for a big big drill or the Eskimo power head during off season.

I bought an 8" Eskimo pistol drill auger and use it with my cordless drill. The auger only weighs about 3#. Works great so far up to 20-24" of ice. May need an extension though by March!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Presque Isle Bay, Erie Pa, has ice for now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Last edited by BuzzH; 01/24/24.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I bought an 8" Eskimo pistol drill auger and use it with my cordless drill. The auger only weighs about 3#. Works great so far up to 20-24" of ice. May need an extension though by March!

The 8” pistol is what I got. Supposedly a little hard on drills, per the lgs. I am using a makita 18v. Just might upgrade.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

The 8” pistol is what I got. Supposedly a little hard on drills, per the lgs. I am using a makita 18v. Just might upgrade.

I use a cheap Kobalt 24v one from Lowes that has 825 inch-pounds of torque. Got to have a minimum of a 4AH battery for ice thicker than 6-8" though. The 2AH doesn't have enough azz to get through the deep stuff without cutting out or dying quickly.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by KFWA
where would be the closest serious ice fishing to Ohio? the UP?
Pretty much.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Those are some well fed rainbows!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.