-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
most of the nikons are made in the Philippines, think of this as between chinese and japanese in quaility. For some reason I don't like the optical formula that most phillipene scopes have. this includes, burris, the nikons and vortex models. If the nikon is made in japan, I would be alot more interested. really japan or europe is the only place I want my optics made. Yes I am an optics snob.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nikon scopes made in the Philippines & Thailand are still very good scopes. MUCH better quality than Chinese. But the Japanese models would be my first pick also.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My 20 year old Monarch 2-7x32 works fine. Click adjustments are good, and overall usage is good. My only wish Nikon is that Nilon had used a slimmer receiver bell housing for bolt handle clearance.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Used is not mint. Used is used. No used scope is worth purchasing, none, not one.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Used is not mint. Used is used. No used scope is worth purchasing, none, not one.
You're joking, right?

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like used scopes in good condition priced appropriately. A few weeks ago I picked up this old, never mounted K-6 for 150$. The box was a bit tattered but oh well
.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mint condition is used to describe used or pre-owned goods that have an excellent, like-new appearance and are in good working order.

The definition is the definition. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I went threw the Burris garbage then the Leupold garbage been using Nikons for close to 20 years have never had one fail....figure Nikons should out last me......

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I got a 3-9 Buckmasters on a used rifle a while back. Seems to work well enough. I'll replace it with something newer if it dies.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just bought 3 yesterday in the classifieds. One shot deal!

I even had a 4.5x14 Buckmasters on my 416 WBY for a long time and used it a few times for antelope. Never failed me.

This one was at 452 yards. 330 GS Custom bullet at 3100 fps.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
You're joking, right?

Kind of a weird statement by the missouri guy there. Hopefully he is joking, or he just isn't that intelligent.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Fotis
I just bought 3 yesterday in the classifieds. One shot deal!

I even had a 4.5x14 Buckmasters on my 416 WBY for a long time and used it a few times for antelope. Never failed me.

This one was at 452 yards. 330 GS Custom bullet at 3100 fps.

I believe I now own that scope. A mint used one at that.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i better get them cheap to sell again otherwise i would not buy a Nikon scope, myself i won`t use a Nikon scope on my rifles anymore.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I believe I now own that scope. A mint used one at that.

Not sure. I have owned many of that flavor, but they are tough scopes for sure.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
1. Used scope breaks
2. Company who made it is out of business
3. They send you a new product worth more than the used value of the broken scope
4. Sell the new product for a decent price and come out ahead
This is my opinion as well EXCEPT that item #2 doesn't apply since Nikon is still very much in business.
However, you still need to not overpay for the used scope.
Keep in mind that the earlier 'made in Japan' Nikon scopes were very well made. Some of the best lens in the biz.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have a 2x8x32 Monarch on my Kimber Select AAA French 308.Nice little scope. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You do you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I buy Monarchs whenever I find them. I’ve never had one fail, and unlike comparable Leupolds, they track well.
*knock on wood* neither have I, and I have several of them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one if it was at a good price.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
What are you guys thoughts on buying used scopes from companies "no longer in the Rifle scope business"?

Depends on the hunt. Were I to be tossed out of a SuperCub onto a mountainside in AK by myself, I'd probably want a scope that was still in production, that I'd worked with quite a bit beforehand.

OTOH, if it's from a blind 50 yards from where I parked the truck, I'd give it a whirl.

FWIW, at such point as I set up the bighorn hunt, I'll be using Great Grandad's mauser with a 2.5 Lyman Alaskan scope. I'm determined to be the 4h generation to get it done with that setup. Yeah, it'll be in grizzly country, but the guide will have his own rifle, no doubt.

As for Nikons, I never had any problem with 'em. For my eyes, I thought the ProStaff were the best bang for the buck: the Buckmaster & Monarch scopes didn't offer enough extra goodness for the prices they charged. If I were to find a great price on one, though, I could be tempted.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 01/25/24.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I still own 4 of the them. The Monarch V I bought last probably has the best glass of any scopes I have ever owned .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.