Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
You could not run fast enough to give me a leather sling. Pass the Butler Creek Mountain sling for the win.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHunter
You could not run fast enough to give me a leather sling. Pass the Butler Creek Mountain sling for the win.

Been using them for years myself, perfect size and weight, more folks should try them out. I rake mine off alot while hunting, put it back on when walking out of area, etc. Its super easy to mess with, ha.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put me down for the various claw model slings as well. I use as a carry tool not a shorting tool. They work quite well at avoiding slipping off the shoulder. They carry comfortably, are maintenance free and economical.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I still like a Whelen sling.

Last edited by Wrapids; 01/30/24.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Been running these on my deer hunting rifles. On and off all day they have a quick pull to loosen and easy pull and hold tight for rapid setting from relaxed hanging to arm wrapped shooting on moving deer.

https://www.vikingtactics.com/shop/vtac-pes-ultra-light-sling-w-metal-buckle/

Makes you more steady and they are light.

My whole group has moved to using these.

Not pretty leather but the function is great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A million Chinamen can't be wrong. I'll take an SKS or AK sling any day. Keep it simple.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Butler Creek neoprene/nylon slings on my deer rifles.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Quake claw contour for me....the thumb loop is a nice addition.

https://bpioutdoors.com/contour-sling-w-loop-black/

Andy3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess I am an outlier here in that I have no interest, or more precisely very limited interest, in using a sling to carry a rifle when hunting. I used to carry a 1" leather sling with QD attachments rolled up in a coat pocket with the idea that I'd clip it on and sling my rifle when I had to drag out a deer. I eventually came to the conclusion that I only needed one hand to drag a deer and having the rifle slung over my shoulder or across my back was a bigger PITA than anything. Carrying it in the hand that wasn't dragging the deer provided a sort of balance, as well.

In the northeastern woods where I've done most of my deer hunting on the ground, opportunities often come suddenly and you don't have a lot of time, nor do you want to move around a lot, just raise your rifle with as little commotion as possible and shoot. In a treestand/climber, the last thing I want when I'm 15 to 30 feet up in the air with limited room to maneuver is something hanging off my rifle. I shot one deer walking in to my stand this year and having to unsling my rifle before doing so may have blown that opportunity.

A couple of my rifles are 700's with bolts that don't lock down on safe and the fact that I don't have my rifle slung out of sight, behind my back may be one of the reasons it really doesn't bother me.

I have used a sling on shotguns more than rifles. I have a leather sling with slipknot loops at each end, one sized for the barrel, one to fit around the stock. I'd carry it in a pocket back when we spent most of the winter running fox and coyotes so I could sling my shotgun when I needed both hands free to handle hounds. I also used to use it when manhandling bags of decoys back into the swamps during early duck season.

I've often hunted with a backpack of some sort, but I like to have my rifle in my hands.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Slogan Outdoors Slogan Sling.

I use the magnum / xl or whatever it’s called.

Can get a flush cup version.

Made in USA.

Iirc, 25 year warranty.

Slogan Slings for the win.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I still use my older Turner Saddlery NRA HP Service rifle slings. Older M1 Garand slings work of me as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
have a variety of slings. Put a vino villeri on one of my long guns. Like it a lot, but it don't serve any better purpose than many other slings out there.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by odonata
I mainly use a couple of hand-crafted leather slings made by Els & Co. in Stellenbosch, ZA. It's a wine-making region in South Africa that's a nice place to visit if you're ever in that area. They don't work any better than the cheaper canvas one I bought from NECG years ago but they do look nice.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like the Els & Co 2" Nieu-Bethesda. Enough that I ordered one for myself.

Added. These actually look better than the Westley Richards offering.

[Linked Image from elsfineleather.co.za]

Last edited by JSTUART; 02/01/24.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the leather Montana Rifle Slings on my lever guns and wood stocked bolt action magazine rifles. My two stainless bolt guns wear the easily adjustable synthetic hunting sling from Blue Force Gear that sells many products designed by Larry Vickers. My Short barreled 12 ga. and AR's and SBR wear Vickers 2 point slings.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I remove my slings when actually hunting but like to have one for going to and from my stand, don't do much spot and stalk hunting these days and like to have a sling to put my rifle on my shoulder if just for a moment if I'm sorting gear vs putting it on the ground or against a tree. I do hunt from climbing stand so having a sling for ascending/descending is a must. Otherwise, I prefer to have a "clean" rifle, no sling to make noise or get in the way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call me the “odder-than-odd man out” but I started using Banded shotgun slings on my hunting rifles about 8 years ago, and really can’t seem to stand many other slings now. Yes, they’re a bit wide, and they have the 3 shotgun shell loops. Yes they are a bit heavier than other, sleeker slings. Yes they don’t look as pretty on a classic rifle. Yes, the wide strap fights my backpack strap for space when I carry one. All true! However, I saw them years ago and bought one figuring if they were made for dragging around heavy, long barreled waterfowl shotguns, they ought to work for a lighter rifle. After the first day of using it in the woods, I was hooked. Between the handle and extra long thumb loop, it allows a super comfortable carry, with lots of adjustability. They ain’t the prettiest, lightest, or cheapest…but they are the only ones I use on my big game rifles.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.