Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Have you slugged the barrel?

From the Lyman 44th Edition (1967) which also has load data

Jacketed bullets for this cartridge are available in .320" diameter (Rem.) and .321" diameter (Hornady). As we have encountered barrels as small as .319", we suggest that you slug your barrel before reloading (see "Accuracy with Cast Bullets" in reference section). For tight barrels, the smaller Remington bullet is recommended.
New brass cases which exceed the maximum case length listed may be encountered. We suggest that you check your case length before reloading and trim your case if necessary.

GB1

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
That’s great info! Thanks

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know if you have this also but they list some lyman molds that were tested with the 32 Remington.

https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/32-Remington/132

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I don't currently cast anything, I guess that's always an option.

Shawn

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't shoot a 32 Remington, nor never have...

however you did mention Speer "Round Nose" bullets. I use the 170 grain SMP ( semi pointed) in .323 diameter, EXCLUSIVELY for my 8mm Mausers. Its a very accurate bullet, and has fantastic penetration abilities, whether pushed hard, or pushed slow.

Used it out of a Mauser pushed as fast as 3100+ fps ( hot load), and down to 1500 fps out of the Muzzle.

All this SR 4759 I've got saved for just a few cartridges, is for the 8 x 57s I have around. Last couple of years there have been several blacktails taken with them, when loaned to a couple of the Boy Scouts in our Troop, to go out for their first hunting outing with their dads. Easy for the boys to shoot, and bang/flop performance when they connect.

so if that is the bullet you are using out of your 141, it will certainly do the job... even on a very heavy deer. Old timers around here decades ago, after WW 2, used it in Mausers brought home from Europe after the war.... they even used those on plenty of Elk here in southern Oregon...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am going to try the Speer 170 gr bullets and if the feed properly I’ve no doubt in their ability at 2200 fps

Shawn

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I screenshotted (is that a real word?) a couple of pages on 32 REM from Ideal (Lyman) handbook 38 from the early 50’s? I don’t have a picture hosting service to upload with. If you’ll email me with 32 REM in the subject line, I’ll send the pages to you.

sales (at) oldfortarmory (dot) com

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I replied to your email and sent you the screenshots. I have another Ideal/Lyman #40 from 1955 if you want those pages too. Let me know and I hope they help. Gives you an insight into just how long some of these powders have been around.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Elkbelch
I love how it was made for round nose bullets only as the hanging tag stated. Also, the special design magazine tube with spiral flutes so as the point of a bullet would not rest on the primer of the cartridge in front of it. Seems a bit of a conflicting design.

Shawn

Was not to protect the primer from the bullet . Was to protect the bullet nose from being battered in the tube magazine by the cartridge in front of it. Also keeps the pressure off the nose which protects it from receding into the case neck due to spring pressure and the effects of recoil from firing the rifle.

Picture of hang tag.

Attached Images
remington14ht.jpg (35.39 KB, 52 downloads)
Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 02/06/24.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Very cool tags, I’ve only seen the reference to the spirals to off set from the primer. I had never heard it was to protect the bullet. Either way pretty cool old rifle.

Shawn

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I picked up a 141 recently and threw together a few loads with IMR 4320 I had sitting around. 3 charge weights and 6 shots total into just over an 1” at 50 meters. About as good as I can do with open sights.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Well it's been a while since Ive had the components so I figured I better get around to cooking something up. I used Re 7 at 30 gr, I trimmed the cases to 2.041, that was the shortest of the first new batch and most needed a bit of trimming. This allowed me to use the crimp groove of the 170 gr hot core bullets I was using. The OAL was 2.50. Primed them with WLR primers. I made one dummy round to check function and it worked just fine. Went to the range this morning and the first try was a click, not even a mark on the primer.
Packed up and went home. Disassembled the rifle again and decided not to dig too far into the breech block. The firing pin looked ok so packed wax in the primer pocket of my dummy round and tried it. The wax showed the firing pin had struck it so I went back to the range and tried it again.
All was good this time. I guess maybe I didn't close the action with enough authority? Ive no Idea what happened but no more misfires. The 50 yard range was pretty busy with rimfire guys so I set up at 100. Put 3 shots under about 2 inches, they were high and right by about 5 inches. I didn't make any adjustments today. I shot 5 over my Magnetospeed chronograph and all were just ofer 2300 and that was a surprise, I was expecting 2100-2200.

Anyway it was a great day and I shot the rest of what I loaded. For a moment it was in 1940 and I wearing a plaid wool coat sitting on an old birch log waiting on the drivers.

Hope y'all had as much fun today as I did

Shawn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (308ld, 10gaugemag, 160user, 257 roberts, alwaysoutdoors, 35, 20 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,904
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.